• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen Countdown Thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was he worse than Ken 'took 6 hours to ton up against not even grade standard opposition' Barrington and Geoff 'dropped after scoring his highest score for batting ridiculously selfishly' Boycott?
I think this is one of the reasons Barrington isn’t rated as highly by those who played against him or watched him as his average night otherwise warrant. Will definitely ask Dougie about this next time I bump into him.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Was he worse than Ken 'took 6 hours to ton up against not even grade standard opposition' Barrington and Geoff 'dropped after scoring his highest score for batting ridiculously selfishly' Boycott?
No think they were worst..

Spark

Global Moderator
My lasting final memory of Chanderpaul's batting was that he was batting with a number 11 and was on strike, and he decided to try and steal an idiotic single off the 1st or 2nd ball of the over just so he could get off strike and expose the #11 and preserve his average with some red ink.

Needless to say I am not a fan.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My lasting final memory of Chanderpaul's batting was that he was batting with a number 11 and was on strike, and he decided to try and steal an idiotic single off the 1st or 2nd ball of the over just so he could get off strike and expose the #11 and preserve his average with some red ink.

Maybe he wanted to give the 11 a go. What was the match situation? Was the result beyond doubt?

I remember Steve Waugh in one if his books saying if he never gave the tailenders strike how were they meant to improve as test batsman. He was often criticised for the same stuff but it's not exactly a nonsense reason he's giving

McGrath was essentially Chris Martin level in the '90s and ended up getting a test fifty and credited Steve Waugh as a reason iirc

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also on the subject of Tugga, I saw people saying he doesn't deserve top 15 honours

I feel like he's peeled off more clutch tons then nearly anyone. Who can't think of 5 famous Steve Waugh back to the wall tons immediately off the top of their head? Even if he's not one of your favourite players

Not saying arguments against him are invalid but he's bloody underrated sometimes on CW imo

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Shiv at 20 doesn't sit easily with me, whether through stats I regard as important or a purely subjective assessment.

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain

Steve Smith had a habit of doing this a few years ago. I can think of 3 off the top of my head. The singles were not considered 'idiotic' tbf though.

Hobart 2016 vs South Africa
Ranchi 2017 vs India
Brisbane 2017 vs England

I have never really understood the whole exposing the tail criticism. Smith deserved those 'not outs' anyways. The most appropriate criticism of Chanderpaul (imo) was how low down the order he batted.

Flem274*

123/5
batsmen should bat where they're most effective provided they still have time to influence the innings

that's why 'player averaging 50 should open or bat #3 because the top order are terrible' is bad. never sacrifice your biggest strength in the hope of plugging a weakness.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I am sure Rohit Sharma would have been outside 200 a couple of months back. A beast !
I have just completed Sharma's adjustments, including his non-home and quality opposition stats. He drops down to no.170 (626). His non-home adj. average of 25.92 did not help him!

Days of Grace

International Captain
No.19

Steve Waugh (Australia) 824

Quality Points: 736
Career Points: 88

Career/Runs: 1985-2004, 10927 (rank 9)

Overall average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate: 48.63 (51.06) 40.02 (42.03) 46.83 (48.65) (rank 50)
50 Innings Peak Average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate (1993-1997): 77.84 52.93 47.66 (rank 5)
Non-Home Average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate: 53.26 41.72 46.42 (rank 20)
Quality Opposition Average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate: 42.58 38.22 46.08 (rank 98)

Another single-minded batsman who a lot of posters might choose to bat for their life. It's somewhat fitting that Steve Waugh and Shivnarine Chanderpaul are ranked together in this analysis as they have two similarities in their records. Both played for a very long time and both had incredible peaks that were somewhat misleading because they were boosted by a large number of not outs; in Waugh's case he remained unbeaten in 16 out of the 50 innings. Waugh's peak was a lot more influential than Chanderpaul's as it was one of the main factors in Australia becoming the leading test nation, a status they would not relinquish until well after his retirement. The older Waugh twin's career path could also be used as a case-in-point for not giving up on young talent if they are not immediately successful: up to the 1989 Ashes, he had played 26 test matches for an adj. average of 30.38 (30.53) with no centuries. In his remaining 142 tests, he averaged 52.32 (55.21). Like Border, Steve Waugh was outstanding away from home but he is let down somewhat by his relatively poor average against the strong teams of his time (England were not quality opposition for the majority of the 1990s). Like Border, Waugh is most remembered for his "tough runs." Who can forget his double century at Kingston in 1995 to effectively wrestle the no.1 status away from the West Indies? As mr_mister stated above, who can not immediately name five great backs-to-the-wall knocks from Steve Waugh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaEHHo-IFh0

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Agree with his placement. Also played his part in reinventing the one day game in the late 80s and early 90s. Extraordinary career.

sunilz

International Regular
Don't waste your time. Clearly the that poster has some sort of agenda where he can come up with all sorts of illogical arguments. FWIW if Waugh owes his 50+ average to not outs, then so does god aka SRT. His rpi is 48 which is about a little over 10% less than his career average.
Hope you are not offended with Steve Waugh ranking. I had no agenda. I was stating the obvious