• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen Countdown Thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tendulkar probably 23-25 spots too high for mine, but certainly a great player. Used to enjoy watching him bat in Sydney every tour. Saw every test knock he played there, was always terrific.

By far the most enjoyable was when Clarke (iirc) got him on his last tour as he was striving for that hundred and on about 70 odd. Took Jono out to the Members for that day, and his tears were as delicious as any I’ve ever tasted tbh.

Last edited:

pardus

School Boy/Girl Captain
I wish McGrath had have bowled to him more often than he did.
Yeah me too. In addition to Akram & Waqar, he had relatively few encounters with McGrath, and they never faced each other on a genuinely fast bowler friendly pitch (like Perth or Gabba).

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Personally I think Tendulkar at 7 is pretty close to being right. I mean he's behind Bradman, Smith, Ponting, Chappell, Border, Waugh, Simpson and Hayden but a couple of places either way is acceptable.

OverratedSanity

Tendulkar played Mcgrath really really well in the 99 and 01 series. 04 would've been a good contest if Tendulkar had been fit enough to play all the games. Thought Gillespie gave him a bit more trouble.

TheJediBrah

Personally I think Tendulkar at 7 is pretty close to being right. I mean he's behind Bradman, Smith, Ponting, Chappell, Border, Waugh, Simpson and Hayden but a couple of places either way is acceptable.
Is it just me or is the Aus v Ind baiting been a it excessive lately

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Is it just me or is the Aus v Ind baiting been a it excessive lately
People who are baiting Indians here using Tendulkar are the usual suspects and way too predictable as well. And it does not come as a surprise as no one is responding to their baits.

pardus

School Boy/Girl Captain
Tendulkar played Mcgrath really really well in the 99 and 01 series. 04 would've been a good contest if Tendulkar had been fit enough to play all the games. Thought Gillespie gave him a bit more trouble.
I am not sure if Gillespie gave him more trouble than McGrath. He definitely took more chances against Gillespie than he did against McGrath.
Both McGrath & Gillespie got him equal number of times (6) in their careers.
In 2001 series, Tendulkar was far more severe on Gillespie than he was on McGrath (whom he played with great caution).
Here are Tendulkar vs each player stats in 2001 series:
Against McGrath - 26 runs scored in 103 balls faced in the series (scored 2 boundaries off McGrath, and got out to McGrath twice in the series)
Against Gillespie - 76 runs scored in 113 balls faced in the series (got out to Gillespie thrice in the series)
Couple of his dismissals against Gillespie (particularly the Chennai Test dismissal) were highlight-reel quality which probably gave the impression that he had more trouble against Gillespie.

OverratedSanity

Interesting. I think Gillespie owned him in 04 too which I might have mixed up with the previous series.

Last edited:

stephen

So Sehwag, Ponting, Viv, Hutton and Tendulkar would've ended up higher if they'd retired at the right time.
It'd be interesting to see how the order changes if all batsmen were given their highest score instead of their final one.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pedro Collins

Around the wicket.

Over the wicket, he was absolutely the most harmless left arm medium pacer I had ever seen but somehow he came around the wicket, got the ball zipping both ways from the batsmen and even Sachin could not handle him.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Interestingly, Tendulkar at the end of the home series against Zimbabwe in 2002 had 866 points (805 quality plus 62 career), even though he averaged 55.58 (58.57). Which proves that career points help a lot even if your average drops a little from its peak.

harsh.ag

Interestingly, Tendulkar at the end of the home series against Zimbabwe in 2002 had 866 points (805 quality plus 62 career), even though he averaged 55.58 (58.57). Which proves that career points help a lot even if your average drops a little from its peak.
Only if you have such a long career after your peak and a second peak though

OverratedSanity

Doesnt the fact that he only goes from 866 to 883 despite scoring another 8000+ runs at 50 indicate that longevity is a tad undervalued.

I dont mean this as a tendulkar specific thing ftr.

sunilz

International Regular
Doesnt the fact that he only goes from 866 to 883 despite scoring another 8000+ runs at 50 indicate that longevity is a tad undervalued.

I dont mean this as a tendulkar specific thing ftr.
Sehwag has quality points of 743 with 8586 total runs
Tendulkar has quality points of 759 with 15921 total runs.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Sangakkara is yet to come? That just doesn’t feel right.

Can accept Smith ahead of him (for now - curious to see how his career goes etc), as well as Lara obviously as they were always tussling

Funnily enough you probably want a mix of such players in your XI - which is what a team is for (but maybe made redundant with Bradman there) - ie one swashbuckler such as Lara, someone like Sachin who without hitting Lara like ability/peaks would guarantee play well on almost any surface and put up some runs (even if not 500/600 in a single series).