• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does Umpire's Call need to go?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do you accept that a ball that is going to be smashing into leg stump (say 48% of the ball), which relatively little margin of error due to the circumstances of the delivery and it's analysis, should probably be changed to out?

@ *****

cnerd123

likes this
Do you accept that a ball that is going to be smashing into leg stump (say 48% of the ball), which relatively little margin of error due to the circumstances of the delivery and it's analysis, should probably be changed to out?

@ *****
I believe that if you can assert with technology with a satisfactory degree of accuracy (lets say 99%) that 48% of a cricket ball would have hit the stump had it been allowed to continue on it's path uninterrupted, and provided that said delivery pitched in line and hit the batsman in line pad first off a legal delivery, then you can give it out LBW.

But that is not the situation we have at the moment.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I believe that if you can assert with technology with a satisfactory degree of accuracy (lets say 99%) that 48% of a cricket ball would have hit the stump had it been allowed to continue on it's path uninterrupted, and provided that said delivery pitched in line and hit the batsman in line pad first off a legal delivery, then you can give it out LBW.

*****. I`m normally pretty on your side. But you just needed to say 'yes' here.

Daemon

I totally agree with giving Umpires more access to the technology .

We all follow a lot of cricket , most of us since before DRS was even a thing . I can honestly say that I do not always trust the Hawkeye etc data . A recent one that springs to mind was that last Ashes Adelaide Test in 2017 . That ball tracker was tripping its nuts off in my opinion . So there's no way I'd be comfortable deferring to the technology until it feels standardized and infallible .
To me it’s worth that twice a year hawkeye **** up to avoid the twice a series shocker we see currently.

I think the 50% rule is also unscientific and should just be scrapped. If you get pinged a metre down the track it’s still 50% and if you get flicked on the pad an inch from the stumps it’s still 50%?

Groundking

International Debutant
Do we have any details of what the margin for error hawkeye is nowadays and has it improved since when it was first implemented?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Do we have any details of what the margin for error hawkeye is nowadays and has it improved since when it was first implemented?
Apparently it is down to 2.2 mm from 3.7 mm a few years back (assuming its used properly), but that is for the direct impact. Nobody really knows what it is for the prediction path because few details on testing have actually been released. I've heard errors of as much as 1 cm when judging height above stumps.

TheJediBrah

I think it is most of the time. The margin of error on most lbw projections would be minimal, when given plenty of distance between the impacts of the ground & pad, and relatively close to the stumps. I'd go out on a limb and say in the case of the Boult lbw decision there was >99% chance of the ball hitting the stumps.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently it is down to 2.2 mm from 3.7 mm a few years back (assuming its used properly), but that is for the direct impact. Nobody really knows what it is for the prediction path because few details on testing have actually been released. I've heard errors of as much as 1 cm when judging height above stumps.
You can’t really get test results for a predictive path. There’s nothing to measure against.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I have personally always thought that umpire's call needs to be replaced by benefit of doubt to the batsman. If technology isn't conclusive, the benefit of doubt should go to the batsman not the umpire. (because of the age-old reason - bowler gets a second chance, batsman does not)

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
You can’t really get test results for a predictive path. There’s nothing to measure against.
You can. They test against the actual result. i.e. bowl a ball and follow actual path. Then give the computer say half the path of the ball (or 2.5 m from stumps or whatever) and then ask it to project a predictive path. Compare the two. Do this x number of statistically significant times for different scenarios.

But as I said, we don't know the exact experiment and the results thereof. Hence why this becomes such an open debate.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Umpires could one day get augmented reality glasses that overlays hawkeye on each delivery

cnerd123

likes this
I think we should continue to focus our energy on eliminating the human error. We will never get there but we can get close.
This is fair, and just a difference in priorities.

Do you still think we should trust what the technology says in all cases where there is doubt? Because as I stated in my first post here, I prefer all grey areas being decided on by humans. And going off your posts in the Trent Boult thread, you seem to not be satisfied with the tech or with humans, so I'm not quite sure what you want here.