• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does Cricket need a strong Australia?

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Do you ever need any dominant teams? Is cricket inherently better when one team is dominant?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dominant teams set a standard for others to emulate. West Indirs did it in the 80s and Australia did it after them.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Look at the awesome quicks that followed worldwide the decade after the windies dominant pace quartet of the 80s

Look at the awesome batsmen we have got worldwide after Australia's dominant batting order of the 90s/early naughties

Last edited:

stephen

This is the worst active thread on this site.

But what do you expect from a bunch of unwashed poms.

cnerd123

likes this
Look at the awesome quicks that followed worldwide the decade after the windies dominant pace quartet of the 80s

Look at the awesome batsmen we have got worldwide after Australia's dominant batting order of the 90s/early naughties
You really think the Aussie batsman in the 90s and 00s were the ones who inspired the generation of batsmen after them?

Were you not aware of Sachin, Lara, Dravid, Kallis, Sanga, MoYo, Younis, Sehwag, Smith, etc etc

This is the Shane Warne reviving legspin nonsense again

mr_mister

Honestly I just post things that enter my head. Im not pushing this as truth just a possible interesting thing to look at. I'm wrong here

Really don't understand you blokes who put so much thought and scrutiny into your posts here

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Who produced who? The chicken or the egg? Although I will say that Lillee made fast bowling more popular.

Right now we are in a situation with three or four semi-good teams who have all cancelled each other out in some ways. India are the pick but hardly dominant. Australia are on the dole. England struggle with spinners and selection. South Africa look a bit dodgy judging by today. Pakistan are as mercurial as ever. It seems as a decent time as many really to get a good series

TheJediBrah

Honestly I just post things that enter my head. Im not pushing this as truth just a possible interesting thing to look at. I'm wrong here

Really don't understand you blokes who put so much thought and scrutiny into your posts here
People really take this place seriously. Likewise I'm not sure why, but just live and let live

You really think the Aussie batsman in the 90s and 00s were the ones who inspired the generation of batsmen after them?

Were you not aware of Sachin, Lara, Dravid, Kallis, Sanga, MoYo, Younis, Sehwag, Smith, etc etc

Is he the same guy as YouYoh

cnerd123

likes this
I mean being a pedantic asshole who likes pointing out when people are wrong comes quite naturally to me. If I put thought and effort into a post you'll get that wall of text I made about Blocky

Its all good we all make mistakes.

TheJediBrah

I mean being a pedantic assholewho likes pointing out when people are wrong comes quite naturally to me. If I put thought and effort into a post you'll get that wall of text I made about Blocky

damn you stole my next post

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Two different things really.

Gob

International Coach

Those are more of individuals. Think Aust started going around 4 rpo in in Waugh era as a whole lineup which sort of rubbed on to other teams to be more aggressive.

Burgey

I mean being a pedantic asshole who likes pointing out when people are wrong comes quite naturally to me. If I put thought and effort into a post you'll get that wall of text I made about Blocky

I'm pleasantly surprised to see you're self-aware enough to realise you're a massive flog. That's progress. Good for you.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Any successful team will get other teams to go looking for certain things that those teams had. I mean, the same great Aussie side went on a 10 year hunt to find "their" Flintoff post the 2005 Ashes. And that was just one series. I think that Aussie team's real legacy was Gilchrist and the way they forever reinvented what a wicket keeper is expected to do in a test side. Everything else were things that others teams were doing as well and none of them have become basically a necessity as the keeper batsman at 7 today has become.

TheJediBrah

Any successful team will get other teams to go looking for certain things that those teams had. I mean, the same great Aussie side went on a 10 year hunt to find "their" Flintoff post the 2005 Ashes. And that was just one series. I think that Aussie team's real legacy was Gilchrist and the way they forever reinvented what a wicket keeper is expected to do in a test side. Everything else were things that others teams were doing as well and none of them have become basically a necessity as the keeper batsman at 7 today has become.
nah

Spark

Global Moderator
Uh, Hayden?