• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do SC Pacers Deserve More Credit For Home Performances?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
No it's not glaringly obvious as to why he couldn't average 15 at home if the pitches suited pace.
Because he wasn't that good?

Did Marshall or McGrath average 16 at home? No

Ambrose and Wasim played in the same era and Ambrose destroyed England and Australia while Wasim averaged 30 and 25 against them. He averaged 28 in England, a country which did suit pace. His credentials do not show a bowler who was the greatest ever. Top 10 sure, but he's not close to being the best ever.

subshakerz

International Coach
Still more pace friendly than wickets (your argument) in Asia. So we agree that since Asian pacers get extra points for doing well under relatively more trying conditions, we'll give Lara a boost for doing the same. No??
No because as you explained its a mixed bag. If it was well outside the norm for pitches globally then he would have a case to be valued higher.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
No because as you explained its a mixed bag. If it was well outside the norm for pitches globally then he would have a case to be valued higher.
No it's outside the norm relative to Asia, again your argument. Therefore if Asian bowlers get bonuses for doing well at home, Lara gets bonus points relative to Asian batsmen since Faislabad is the "norm" in Pakistan and Asia. And wickets in the WI as you believe are more pace friendly overall.

I tried to tell you some wkts in the WI are and some arent but you dismissed me by saying this: " Faislabad is a graveyard as Lillee said. And Faislabad is closer to the norm in Pakistan than Antigua was to other WI pitches." I brought it up again when I compared performances by pace bowlers of WI and Pakistan in the 70s/80s and you said that I cherry picked.

Now I'm agreeing with you and wkts globally ie outside the Caribbean are irrelevant since: "i don't see how their away performance makes any difference. If conditions are tougher at home, then them adapting or suffering for it is independent of that fact and they deserve extra credit regardless." Therefore Lara gets extra points.

Slifer

International Captain
More pace friendly than Pakistan. But overall quite normal standards.
What is normal? SENAW aren't a monolith. England favors swing, RSA seam, NZ both, Australia depends on the mood of the curators, WI ditto. And this isn't even considering team strength, era etc.

Slifer

International Captain
Can you explain to me why Lara doesn't deserve bonus points vs pace for performing on more pace friendly at home wickets (your conclusions) over Asian batsmen who had it easier. Don't want to hear anything about outside the WI because you lot dismissed anything brought up outside Asia....

Sunil1z

International Regular
Can you explain to me why Lara doesn't deserve bonus points vs pace for performing on more pace friendly at home wickets (your conclusions) over Asian batsmen who had it easier. Don't want to hear anything about outside the WI because you lot dismissed anything brought up outside Asia....
WTF ?
How Asian batsmen have it easier ? You are talking like spin bowling doesn’t exist . I think everyone needs to take a break .

Slifer

International Captain
WTF ?
How Asian batsmen have it easier ? You are talking like spin bowling doesn’t exist . I think everyone needs to take a break .
We'll get to spin later. But vs pace, Asian batsmen, from what Subz's postulated seem to have it easier at home. Therefore that means to me that non Asian batsmen like Lara have it harder in his home country since wickets there again according to Subz, favors pace much more. So we're giving Lara bonus points at home, the same way we give Asian fast bowlers.

Sunil1z

International Regular
We'll get to spin later. But vs pace, Asian batsmen, from what Subz's postulated seem to have it easier at home. Therefore that means to me that non Asian batsmen like Lara have it harder in his home country since wickets there again according to Subz, favors pace much more. So we're giving Lara bonus points at home, the same way we give Asian fast bowlers.
No , you should give bonus point to spinners of WI rather than batsmen. For batsmen it cancels out ( Either good for pace or spin )

subshakerz

International Coach
No it's outside the norm relative to Asia, again your argument. Therefore if Asian bowlers get bonuses for doing well at home, Lara gets bonus points relative to Asian batsmen since Faislabad is the "norm" in Pakistan and Asia. And wickets in the WI as you believe are more pace friendly overall.
It may be perfectly the norm relative to SENA. So why give any special credit. The whole argument is that there is an existing tilt towards seeing the SENAW averages as normative at the expense of SC.

We'll get to spin later.
Lol it doesn't work that way.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
No , you should give bonus point to spinners of WI rather than batsmen. For batsmen it cancels out ( Either good for pace or spin )
Why not the batsmen since we all agree (not me) that wickets in WI were much tougher to face pace on. And that's tougher relative to Asia. As a result, Lara’s amazing 60 or so average deserves more praise just like Imran's 19 at home. Since Imran had to who bowl on all roads in Asia (actually only Pakistan).

The truth of the matter is, there are wickets I'm WI and just as tough/flat as anywhere in Asia. And this thing about giving bonuses is absurd. This is for people who played in the general same era and considering other variables.

subshakerz

International Coach
Why not the batsmen since we all agree (not me) that wickets in WI were much tougher to face pace on. And that's tougher relative to Asia. As a result, Lara’s amazing 60 or so average deserves more praise just like Imran's 19 at home. Since Imran had to who bowl on all roads in Asia (actually only Pakistan).

The truth of the matter is, there are wickets I'm WI and just as tough/flat as anywhere in Asia. And this thing about giving bonuses is absurd. This is for people who played in the general same era and considering other variables.
You destroyed your whole point earlier when you stated that WI pitches are a mixed bag, not as pace unfriendly as Pakistan but not exceedingly pacey across the board. In other words, every reason to take runs there at face value overall.

subshakerz

International Coach
What is normal? SENAW aren't a monolith. England favors swing, RSA seam, NZ both, Australia depends on the mood of the curators, WI ditto. And this isn't even considering team strength, era etc.
You don't really get the entire argument, do you? The argument is that on CW, we already do seriously take into account the impact of pitch factors on averages for almost all categories of players across countries and regions, EXCEPT SC pacers at home where it's glossed over.

Sunil1z

International Regular

Asian fast bowlers and SENA spinners certainly have disadvantage. And their actual average should be reduced by 1-2 points .

And similar thing should happen to Australian bowlers who have played in this century .

Slifer

International Captain
It may be perfectly the norm relative to SENA. So why give any special credit

Lol it doesn't work that way.
It does because your OP specifically said pace or are you going to edit it again to say all SC bowlers?

As for the top post the norm in Asia is flat wickets which makes it harder for fast bowlers so let's give them bonuses fine. Then the norm in SENAW is much more pace friendly wickets, so we should give their batsmen bonuses no?

I was never about giving out bonuses or whatever but you've made me a believer. Obviously, some places are tougher to face pace than others. So in descending or we'll do this:

RSA batsmen: + 5 runs or so
Eng:+ 4
NZ/WI/Aus: +3.

As for spinners, the impression I get is that each Asian country favors spin differently. I think Migara explained it sometime back which i can't remember what he said. It's why a Murali and Warne were amazing in SL and Pakistan but ripped to pieces in India.

I think it also has to do with the quality of indian batting but that's another story. That's also what i think should be factored when we discuss Asian and non Asian wickets (the batting, era , rules etc) but most on here just dismissed me. Another reason I didn't want to bring up spin is because I don't want this to turn this into a Ashwin bash party or a Warne vs Murali.

subshakerz

International Coach
Asian fast bowlers and SENA spinners certainly have disadvantage. And their actual average should be reduced by 1-2 points .

And similar thing should happen to Australian bowlers who have played in this century .
And by the same token, we adjust batting averages too, either explicitly or implicitly, when we notice the conditions are exceedingly friendly. It's not that difficult to understand, the only issue is that some are resisting doing so for a few bowlers.

Slifer

International Captain
You destroyed your whole point earlier when you stated that WI pitches are a mixed bag, not as pace unfriendly as Pakistan but not exceedingly pacey across the board. In other words, every reason to take runs there at face value overall.
Bro you dismissed my statement when I said that earlier. I even said Ambrose did well on the flatest wkts on the Caribbean, so I see no reason why he couldn't succeed were he raised on Pakistan wickets. You brought up some crap about swing. Then I countered with Walsh, and you said he cut it, as if Ambrose didn't cut it as well. All of a sudden I'm right lol lol.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Why would you give Dean Elgar a bonus 5 runs if his away average is worse than Home ?
At best you should give him 1-2 points boost .

Slifer

International Captain
Why would you give Dean Elgar a bonus 5 runs if his away average is worse than Home ?
At best you should give him 1-2 points boost .
Away doesn't matter and is irrelevant (Subz) and we are giving Asian bowlers bonus points, even when many are worse outside Asia. Same thought process. And a 50 run averaging batsman roughly equals a 25 or so averaging bowler (generally there are other factors).

subshakerz

International Coach
It does because your OP specifically said pace or are you going to edit it again to say all SC bowlers?

As for the top post the norm in Asia is flat wickets which makes it harder for fast bowlers so let's give them bonuses fine. Then the norm in SENAW is much more pace friendly wickets, so we should give their batsmen bonuses no?

I was never about giving out bonuses or whatever but you've made me a believer. Obviously, some places are tougher to face pace than others. So in descending or we'll do this:

RSA batsmen: + 5 runs or so
Eng:+ 4
NZ/WI/Aus: +3.

As for spinners, the impression I get is that each Asian country favors spin differently. I think Migara explained it sometime back which i can't remember what he said. It's why a Murali and Warne were amazing in SL and Pakistan but ripped to pieces in India.

I think it also has to do with the quality of indian batting but that's another story. That's also what i think should be factored when we discuss Asian and non Asian wickets (the batting, era , rules etc) but most on here just dismissed me. Another reason I didn't want to bring up spin is because I don't want this to turn this into a Ashwin bash party or a Warne vs Murali.
You're overcomplicating this. We only resort to questioning overall averages in a country if we feel that conditions are outside a point where the player is then a strategic disadvantage or advantage in those conditions and therefore the average is unrepresentative. We don't do this for most countries and even if we question the overall average, we explicitly or implicitly have some measure we think they deviated by and its usually not very high.

Slifer

International Captain

And similarly. SENA batsmen should have their averages adjusted upwards at home since they're at a disadvantage at home vs pace.