• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Disappointed by Channel 9

Would you rather the Ashes be shown on Fox Sports?

• Yes

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 66.7%

• Total voters

James

Cricket Web Owner
Its been annoying me this whole Ashes series with Channel 9 going straight to the news and missing parts of the cricket at 6pm.

The most recent example is last night where we missed Justin Langer's dismissal.

Wasn't this supposed to be the most anticipated Ashes series of all time? Surely the coverage from Channel 9 should match that and the news be put on another channel :dry:

Get the cricket on Fox Sports if you can't manage it Channel 9!

ripper868

International Coach
you then need to remember that channel 9 is the most watched news bulletin in the eastern states. yes it sucks to miss out on some of the cricket...i get it worse here due to having local news then national news so i miss the first 40 mins of play after tea...but national news is possibly more important at times than one wicket that can be replayed? and if the match is anywhere else in australia this problem is non-existant.

James

Cricket Web Owner
ripper868 said:
you then need to remember that channel 9 is the most watched news bulletin in the eastern states. yes it sucks to miss out on some of the cricket...i get it worse here due to having local news then national news so i miss the first 40 mins of play after tea...but national news is possibly more important at times than one wicket that can be replayed? and if the match is anywhere else in australia this problem is non-existant.
Why can't the news or the cricket be put on another channel? I've no idea how difficult it would been but couldn't there have been another another channel created solely for the Ashes series?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Tbf, they have endeavoured to be flexible where I'm watching (Canberra), holding off until tea for the Perth test, and simply waiting til stumps for games in the Eastern states, even when its meant their "6 o'clock news" has shown at 7:10.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
No chance. The Ashes have to be shown on free-to-air TV.

Anti-siphoning laws are in place anyway to prevent it being shown on Foxtel alone.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I reckon they've made a decent effort to hold off the news till end's play sometimes.

Putting local Australian cricket on Pay TV would be a horrible move.

Plus, tonight there was three, yes three international cricket matches on. On Fox Sports 1 there was Pak vs. WI ODI, on Fox Sports 2 there was SA vs. India test match. Also they showed NZ vs. SL test match in the morning. If you put Australian home-series cricket on pay TV you'd lose out on Fox Sports being able to cover international cricket matches quite often.

Craig

World Traveller
Ch 9 have done worse though James.

Never got to see Steve Waugh's 100 against England at the SCG in 02/03 and yet they said they would stay with it until Waugh got his ton or got out, so what do they do? Go to Gold Coast Channel 9 news and then we have the national news at 6.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I certainly support cricket being on free-to-air telly, but over here Ch4 often used to cut away from live play to go to bloody horseracing. I certainly can't fault Sky's coverage on that score, even if I do wish they wouldn't use Ian "Bloody" Healy.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BoyBrumby said:
I certainly support cricket being on free-to-air telly, but over here Ch4 often used to cut away from live play to go to bloody horseracing. I certainly can't fault Sky's coverage on that score, even if I do wish they wouldn't use Ian "Bloody" Healy.
If they did that now, with Filmfour being free these days, it wouldn't be a problem.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Matteh said:
If they did that now, with Filmfour being free these days, it wouldn't be a problem.
TBF the coverage on Film4 was always free, but you still need a dish to get it (or maybe freeview, is Film4 on that to?). If you just had common-or-garden telly you were buggered.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fair point. The ECB shot themselves in the foot though by giving all the live summer stuff to Sky when just after the Ashes more people cared about cricket than in a long time.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
TBF the coverage on Film4 was always free, but you still need a dish to get it (or maybe freeview, is Film4 on that to?). If you just had common-or-garden telly you were buggered.
Yes, when C4 had the cricket, Film4 wasn't on freeview.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
I think Ch9 have been pretty good this year really, they haven't been showing ACA during the perth test and the have delayed the news almost every day until the end of play - compared to the past thats good from them.

Channel 9 has always gone to the news and its annoying most of the time they misjudge the game situation and somehing good happens while they go to the news.

ripper868

International Coach
Craig said:
Ch 9 have done worse though James.

Never got to see Steve Waugh's 100 against England at the SCG in 02/03 and yet they said they would stay with it until Waugh got his ton or got out, so what do they do? Go to Gold Coast Channel 9 news and then we have the national news at 6.
Ouch that would have to suck, i ws in lismore when that match was on and ch 9 held off until he got his 100. maybe gc just had some uptight guy who was seriously fussy bout his news being on time. on a lighter note...HOW GOOD WAS GILCHRIST LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!

Last edited: