• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Disapperaring Cricketers

harry674

School Boy/Girl Captain
hourn said:
too old now, but i find it hard to believe that an organization would just get rid and forget of such a well performed individual because he didn't get a long with the rest of that group.......some sort of proffesional relationship or rehabilition must've been sought after?

sachin and kambli went to school together so they are probably same age.I thought WC crying incident was reason he got banned
which is harsh and stupid IMO.anyway u cannot just drop someone and expect him to do well immediately when u pick him again after few years IMO they should have given him more chances.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
deeps said:
brian mcmillan from SA...was touted as the best all-reounder in the world at one stage...where did he go?
McMillan is 41 years old. He retired at the age of 35 I believe.

a massive zebra

International Captain
harry674 said:
List cricketers who vansihed from world scene. also if you know why just post it.i will start with indian Players

Ajay jadeja (bookie thing?, dropped in his prime. why?)
david johnson(only one tour and vanished, he was very fast bowler)
Nayan mongia
Vindod kambli(dropped in his prime. why?)
Cotar Ramaswami vanished from the world scene - literally.

Kambli was dropped because his mentality was questionable and he had a major weakness against the short ball which was being exposed at test level.

First 7 Tests: 793 runs at 113.29 with 4 centuries
Lat 10 Tests: 291 runs at 22.38 with 0 centuries.

Sometimes you have to look beyond overall career figures and in Kambli's case I believe it is incorrect to say 'an average of 54 is an average of 54.' If Kambli had played many more tests he certainly would not have kept his fine career record.

Nayan Mongia was dropped because he was thought of as too old and India wanted to look to the future. Although he was clearly still the best wicketkeeper-batsman in India the selectors thought the future lied elsewhere. It took a lot of time but now India have found that man for the future - Partiv Patel.

David Johnson never did anything of note for India so his non selection is not that shocking.

thierry henry

International Coach
asif mujtaba,basit ali,ken rutherford and shane thompson?
Retired? Old?

I assume that Ali and Mujtaba are retired or close to it. Ken Rutherford was dropped from the NZ team after Glenn Turner took over as coach in 1995, and appointed Lee Germon. Rutherford had let himself down over the whole 1994/95 South Africa tour saga, where Nash, Fleming and Hart got in trouble for smoking marijuana, general team discipline was questioned, and the three test-series was lost 2-1 after a 1-0 lead had been taken. Rutherford was only 29, but I think he basically decided that he'd burned his bridges in NZ, and the establishment was against him, so he went to South Africa and enjoyed several good seasons over there before retiring.

Shane Thompson retired around 1997 (just a guess). He was only in his 20s but basically decided he wanted to do other things with his life.

Bouncer

State Regular
thierry henry said:
Retired? Old?

I assume that Ali and Mujtaba are retired or close to it. Ken Rutherford was dropped from the NZ team after Glenn Turner took over as coach in 1995, and appointed Lee Germon. Rutherford had let himself down over the whole 1994/95 South Africa tour saga, where Nash, Fleming and Hart got in trouble for smoking marijuana, general team discipline was questioned, and the three test-series was lost 2-1 after a 1-0 lead had been taken. Rutherford was only 29, but I think he basically decided that he'd burned his bridges in NZ, and the establishment was against him, so he went to South Africa and enjoyed several good seasons over there before retiring.

Shane Thompson retired around 1997 (just a guess). He was only in his 20s but basically decided he wanted to do other things with his life.
what happen with Brian Young?

ReallyCrazy

Banned
what about lee germon, deepak patel, shayne o connor and simon doull?

and pakistan i ahve wondered about basit ali. that was said to be the next big thing in paaki cricket but it never materialised.

thierry henry

International Coach
I already told you about Bryan Young. He retired because he is 40!

what about lee germon, deepak patel, shayne o connor and simon doull?
Germon got dropped and Fleming took over the captaincy. Adam Parore was a better player. He took a few years off but came back a few years back to play for Otago. I think he is retired now though. He's 35.

Dipak Patel is 45! He made his FC debut in the 70s. He's been coaching in NZ for a while.

O'Connor retired last season, I forget why. He had a few injuries but I think he retired to do something else? It was a shame, he was only 29 and one of our better bowlers.

Doull also retired, presumably had something to do with injuries, he was dropped during the 1999/2000 season.

Craig

World Traveller
thierry henry said:
O'Connor retired last season, I forget why. He had a few injuries but I think he retired to do something else? It was a shame, he was only 29 and one of our better bowlers.
He retired when he was a certainty to go SRL. To concentrate on business.

tooextracool

International Coach
anybody know what happened to aquib javed?he was considered to be the real deal after he took that 7-37 at sharjah.also a couple of west indies openers called lambert and sherwin cambpell.craig matthews and dave callaghan from south africa . what happened to these guys?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Players being dropped suddenly happens all the time.
Sometimes unfair axing happens too (eg Crawley, Kambli).
But it's not in the least unusual for Pakistanis and Sri Lankans especially to be picked for all the wrong reasons and play just a game or two.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Sometimes unfair axing happens too (eg Crawley, Kambli).
Who was Crawley dropped for the most recent time - was it Key?

From what others have said of Kambli, his dropping doesn't seem unfair.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Who was Crawley dropped for the most recent time - was it Key?
The teams for The Fifth Test in Australia and The First Test against Zimbabwe:
Trescothick
Vaughan
Butcher
Hussain
Key
Crawley
Stewart
Dawson
Caddick
Hoggard
Harmison
\
Trescothick
Vaughan
Butcher
Hussain
Key
Stewart
McGrath
Giles
Hoggard
Harmison
Anderson
Basically, the stupid thing was they wanted to bring back Flintoff and had the absurd idea that McGrath qualified as an all-rounder and suitable replacement for the injured Flintoff.
Now personally I don't agree that Flintoff should have been brought back and I certainly didn't agree that McGrath should have been remotely considered for Test cricket.
However, if someone was going to be dropped to do either, it should have been Key not Crawley as Crawley's performances in recent Tests were much the better.
As it was, Key was simply yet another example of the bad idea of picking players out of position. There was no place for him and they tried to manufacture one because he was perceived as "the future". Let me assure David, Geoff and Duncan, Robert Key in the middle-order most certainly is not the future of English cricket if we want a good future.
It also transpired that Crawley had a very poor 2003 in First-Class cricket and couldn't complain at all about the lack of a recall. Fortunately, Thorpe was preferred and he made the most of it.
So in conclusion, the players preferred to Crawley were McGrath and Key, and Crawley had a much better case than both. He also had a better case than Flintoff, though of course not at the moment because of subsequent happenings.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A good range of examples, there, Rich - those who've been picked erroneously and dropped correctly, the unfortunate ones who've had an odd game and been dropped for understandible reasons despite earning a fair chance for another one; disciplinary problems; all there.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'll take the word of the person who said he's presently out of favour for disciplinary reasons.
He's been in and out often enough, anyway, like many Pakistani cricketers.

Langeveldt

Soutie
tooextracool said:
craig matthews and dave callaghan from south africa . what happened to these guys?

I think they both retired although i stand to be corrected... they were certainly getting on.. I remember thinking Callaghan was the "real deal"... Anyone remember Louis Koen and Gerhardus Liebenberg? :D

Anyone know what happened to Brett Shultz? He was nippy....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Anyone remember Louis Koen and Gerhardus Liebenberg? :D
Certainly do.
One was the one before Gibbs (as good in the field if not with the bat) and one replaced Kirsten for a short time.
Both series involved England. That's why I remember so clearly.
I always thought both were pretty good, 'specially Koen.
Odd thing is, there's sure as hell a rugby-player from SA with the same name, and I think the same spelling.