• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dhoni's Outburst

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The selectors are not perfect, and we all agree. But they are not fools either
In some cases, that's very, very debateable. Selectors sometimes make the sort of errors with cricketers that primary-school children should not make with writing letters (that's abc, not dear grandma I hope you're having a nice day...) and make other basic-ish errors with somewhat alarming regularity.

There are more than a few selections down the years that have essentially had nothing going for them. I wouldn't like to say exactly who was responsible in any case, as it's rarely known for certain, but whoever it was didn't have a clue about how to judge a player.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
One wonders why Dhoni would defend RP quite so staunchly, given he's been one of the few failures for India in the series so far but equally the leak suggests mischief afoot. Is MSD not universally loved amongst the commitee members?
But the problem is the replacement is Irfan Pathan who has been equally bad and some would argue that RP probably deserves a fair chance before getting dropped. And also let's not forget that the version that we are reading in the media has come from either a selector or someone who was speaking on his behalf.

I dont think Dhoni comes across as someone who would overreact so much to offer his resignation.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Then why have national selectors at all? Let the coach and captain decide the whole team.
Yeah, get rid of them, they do more harm than Good. They come up with their own baggage of promoting players from their own zone.

What we don't want is the national team becoming a bunch of the captain's best men. Sometimes, the captain doesn't really know what's good for the team. That happened when Ganguly vehemently opposed the selectors regarding Rahul Dravid in one-dayers and Parthiv Patel in Tests. Some players, who many believe were good enough for that India cap, just didn't last long enough because they were not in Ganguly's good books. We saw Dinesh Mongia get one ODI too many, and it took loads of matches for him to score a half-century- but he was one of the captain's men. Dravid, on the other hand, had all the players from India in the same book. Even on this issue, RP Singh isn't doing much, and the Indian team is getting nothing out of his performance- and may stand to lose a lot if he stayed. Captains are never perfect, and shouldn't oppose the selectors to the level of overturning their selections.

The selectors are not perfect, and we all agree. But they are not fools either, and deserve some credit. We've seen them get next to no credit when they get things right.
My God I dont how you can come up with a load of Crap. History will tell you that India's most successful captains were those who stood up to the Selectors and demanded a team of their choice.

Precambrian

Banned
In some cases, that's very, very debateable. Selectors sometimes make the sort of errors with cricketers that primary-school children should not make with writing letters (that's abc, not dear grandma I hope you're having a nice day...) and make other basic-ish errors with somewhat alarming regularity.

There are more than a few selections down the years that have essentially had nothing going for them. I wouldn't like to say exactly who was responsible in any case, as it's rarely known for certain, but whoever it was didn't have a clue about how to judge a player.
They also come up with gems more than often but are conveniently forgotten. Who made MSD captain? The selectors, not coach or the then captain.

Precambrian

Banned
Yeah, get rid of them, they do more harm than Good. They come up with their own baggage of promoting players from their own zone.

My God I dont how you can come up with a load of Crap. History will tell you that India's most successful captains were those who stood up to the Selectors and demanded a team of their choice.
:huh: Who made Ganguly captain? Himself?

Rant0r

International 12th Man
selectors and captains will always fight, but at the end of the day the captain has to face the brunt when/if it goes wrong, so he should at least have some input, even though, yes it's the selectors job.

i'm an RP fan, he has good (surprising) pace, and swings it both ways, sad to hear he is out of sorts after i seen him do so well early in australia then get injured. bit of an irfan fan as well, but there's only 11 in the team and who do you leave out ? or do you put him at 6-7 with the way the rest of the tail and dhoni himself are batting and ave the flexibility of 2 spinners and 3 quicks ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They also come up with gems more than often but are conveniently forgotten. Who made MSD captain? The selectors, not coach or the then captain.
I don't tend to forget good selections. However, the overwhelming majority of good selections are things equavalent to a 6-year-old kid putting 2 and 2 together and making 4 - stuff along the "and so you damn well should" lines.

Yes, sometimes there are tricky decisions where the right choice is made, but these aren't that common. Basic errors are far more common.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
But the problem is the replacement is Irfan Pathan who has been equally bad and some would argue that RP probably deserves a fair chance before getting dropped. And also let's not forget that the version that we are reading in the media has come from either a selector or someone who was speaking on his behalf.

I dont think Dhoni comes across as someone who would overreact so much to offer his resignation
That was my point about mischief being afoot. Obviously someone "in the know" or one of those mysterious "sources close to..." that one sees credited in the media whenever this kind of unattributed leak becomes aired, wishes it to be known that Dhoni is a bit flakey when all evidence thus far points to the exact reverse.

Would suggest he has enemies in high places who aren't adverse to a bit of skullbuggery.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
As I alluded to earlier, it doesn't surprise me that Dhoni would ruffle a few feathers. In the case of your Dravid or Kumble, whilst being absolute legends on the field, and despite their wealth & popularity (as most senior Indian cricketers are hugely popular and well off anyway), they never IMO had the power that Dhoni has now.

I'd argue that Dhoni is, or at least will be soon, a more influential captain in terms of selection and dealing with the ****ty BCCI bureacracy than even Ganguly was. Dhoni has the image, popularity, results and attitude to give the old proverbial back to anyone who treats him poorly. He's too important to Indian cricket, and the BCCI would go through 30 selectors before even thinking of punishing Dhoni.

Will be an interesting couple of years. I expect Dhoni to etch his name in the history books similar to how Ganguly did in his first few years.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
:huh: Who made Ganguly captain? Himself?
First of all what has that got to do with my statement ?

Secondly to answer your question, Yes, The selectors just made the announcement. Actually it was a nobrainer, because Ganguly was the 2nd best player of his team after Tendulkar and perhaps and Tendulkar had refused the captaincy.