• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Devon Conway: Why He Wasn't a Star from 2010-2017

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
He played real well and smartly. Don't think he played to his full potential in the last game and that's a compliment. He'll start opening up from now on now that the highly anticipated debut is out of the way. Can't wait to see him in all formats.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh I'd say NZC did give away four of Devon's 50 Tests to Will Young (then Blundell).

That was for some 'oh we'd always put empathy and cultural fit over pure merit down here. Look at all the troubles the toxic masculinity and lust for dominance and status have been creating in the rest of the world, aren't we just as snug as a bug in a rug #nzhellhole' reason.

Young didn't deserve to become an old man with no Test caps to his name, of course. Foiled by a terrorist attack, then a major shoulder surgery. But it was really something that only all of New Zealand's Scottie Stevenson know-nothings, and all its anti-Christian wounded Tori Amos girls, would have felt was appropriate selecting.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

Oh I'd say NZC did give away four of Devon's 50 Tests to Will Young (then Blundell).

That was for some 'oh we'd always put empathy and cultural fit over pure merit down here. Look at all the troubles the toxic masculinity and lust for dominance and status has been creating in the rest of the world, aren't we just as snug as a bug in a rug #nzhellhole' reason.

Young didn't deserve to become an old man with no Test caps to his name, of course. Foiled by a terrorist attack, then a major shoulder surgery. But it was really something that only all of New Zealand's Scottie Stevenson know-nothings, and all its anti-Christian wounded Tori Amos girls, would have felt was appropriate selecting.
It was insanity not selecting Conway for those four home tests this season as plenty of us said at the time ... well, you, me and nzfan at least.

But I have to say Conway really doesn't come across as what you sort of think a typical South African to be. He actually seems like a Kane-clone to me ... they almost give identical answers when being interviewed and hate giving themselves any credit ... all about the team. I wonder if that was one reason he didn't flourish in SA?

The Hutt Rec

I found this clip a while back and he obviously had something back in South Africa ... also interesting that he had the Grant Elliott-inspired 88 number on his shirt even back then, too

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!

That was for some 'oh we'd always put empathy and cultural fit over pure merit down here. Look at all the troubles the toxic masculinity and lust for dominance and status has been creating in the rest of the world, aren't we just as snug as a bug in a rug #nzhellhole' reason.

:huh:

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
What would Conway need to achieve in his 50 test career (assuming he plays till 37ish) to reach the Roscoe tier of NZ atg's? Doubt heyll get to the Fleming/Kanos tier in that time, though a double in England on debut surely won't hurt.

nzfan

What would Conway need to achieve in his 50 test career (assuming he plays till 37ish) to reach the Roscoe tier of NZ atg's? Doubt heyll get to the Fleming/Kanos tier in that time, though a double in England on debut surely won't hurt.
Anything less than Hussey's record I'd be disappointed. Hussey ended up a legend and I'm hoping Devon will too. He won't play as many matches as Hussey. I'm guessing about 50 test matches, 100 ODIs and about 75 t20s in the next 6-7 years.

Like any player he'll have a dip in form at some point in time but expecting him to average 45-50s in test cricket, 40s in one day and 30s at healthy strike rate in T20s. Definitely over 8000 international runs.

nzfan

No way is he playing 50 tests imo.

NZ play like 4 a year.
You're right but we definitely play more than 4 a year. More like 6 to 8 test matches a year. He can play for 7 years and likely over 40 test matches. If we maintain our test form we will likely start getting at least 3 test matches from the big 3.