• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Devon Conway: Why He Wasn't a Star from 2010-2017

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Here's a 2010 article (now behind a paywall) from a cricket writer who was hugely partial to Conway from early on.

A BRIGHT FUTURE FOR DEVON CONWAY

06/11/2010

By Ray White

IT is sad indictment of the state of South African cricket that the two most significant innings played by a young batsman since Jacques Kallis made his first-class debut were watched by a pitiful crowd of less than 50 and attracted no mention at all in either the print or electronic media. It is also disgraceful that the innings were played by a young batsman of astounding promise who failed to gain selection for any national side during his school years, despite a school record that can only be described as astonishing.

It gets worse because the officials of the home province of this slender 19-year-old could not raise themselves to make an offer for his services, despite being alerted for several years about the boy’s talent and his determination to succeed as a professional cricketer.

It was left to the astute cricket managers of KZN Inland to recognise that young Devon Conway from St John’s College in Johannesburg was a batsman of rare talent worthy of an investment. It is ironic that the left-handed Conway’s debut came at the Wanderers, the ground where he dreamt of playing for the home team. It was typical that none of the local officials turned up on any day of the four-day match played last weekend. Even had they done so, it is doubtful that they would have recognised the quality of the batsman whose services they so wantonly spurned.

The bald facts of Conway’s batting in his debut match are that he scored 47 off 53 balls in the first innings and followed that up with 86 off 117 balls in the second innings. He top-scored for KZN Inland in both innings. The facts, however cannot do justice to the splendour of his batting.

He scored his runs all round the wicket with an array of dazzling strokes both powerful and subtle. He was unfazed by a diet of short-pitched deliveries that the umpires allowed to be delivered at a rate of four an over. He plays perfectly straight in defence and scores his runs off both the front and back foot.

None of this was a surprise to a small group of spectators who have been watching Conway’s progress over the past four years, although it might have been to Ray Jennings, who saw fit to exclude him from the last SA under-19 team. Most sane watchers of Conway would have had him as their first choice in that team.

Despite his slender stature, Conway is a surprisingly powerful striker of a cricket ball. In his second innings, having only been at the crease for a few minutes, he waltzed down the wicket to the impressive Dale Deeb (who also made a successful debut) and hit him clean out of the Wanderers stadium.

Mostly he hits the ball along the ground. He is unusually adept, for someone so young, at picking up singles and rotating the strike. He reminds one of Graeme Pollock with his ability to dispatch the bad and not-so-bad balls to the boundary. He outscored his partners throughout both of his innings, including Ravi Bopara, the England Test player. Had Bopara not played a stupid shot, it is conceivable that he and Conway would have set the Lions a target more challenging than the 146 runs that they battled to reach. It was almost as though Bopara felt he had to match the array of gorgeous strokes that were flowing from his young partner’s bat.
I'm looking for someone with a Cricket Archive subscription who'd like to do me a huge favour and post some of those old Lions and Dolphins four-day scorecards from 2010-2017, maybe stuff from schoolboy Coke Weeks and U19 tourneys as well. Certainly not all at once, just in this thread from time to time. Not sure how strictly they might be tracking and penalising a shared account, so it could be best not to do this that way.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm looking for someone with a Cricket Archive subscription who'd like to do me a huge favour and post some of those old Lions and Dolphins four-day scorecards from 2010-2017
I can give you cricinfo links to them if that's all good.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Is it still true you can get a free one-day pass for Cricket Archive, all you need to supply is an email address? I'll try to look into that too.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Is it still true you can get a free one-day pass for Cricket Archive, all you need to supply is an email address? I'll try to look into that too.
You can install an extention to just bypass their paywall, but you have to sideload it in Chrome which isn't really for the faint-hearted.

I considered supporting them despite that because it was a good service, but the service has gone massively downhill since they went behind the paywall. They're often months out of date in some competitions now.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
i noticed during cpl draft they haven't got any of the current nz domestic stuff up

conway may not have stood out in south africa because while the plunket shield is more reliable than ever, there's still a sense those with a great eye will look amazing against 135kph. this is changing - munro looked like a total spud in the super smash quite often and there is drastically less engine rooming now than in 2015 - but he didn't retire from fc that long ago.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Conway is nearly 29 years of age and knows his strengths. Early on it would have been a different case. If you are looking for stats look at his stats only for Dolphins and Lions. Technically there are 6 teams that compete the domestic comp but additionally there is also provincial competitions which is a glorified domestic competition of 3 day, 50 overs and T20s. Even these competition stats are considered first class so the numbers generally skewed. When I was in UK playing a lot of South African players turned up and had amazing stats. What most didn't know was that stats was the provincial but counted as first class. These games are like Hawkes Bay vs Nelson.

Whether Conway had good stats outside of provincial I'm not sure but if he was putting up numbers like he is right now there is no doubt he would have gone on to play good level of cricket in South Africa. Maybe he found his mojo and shut out distractions once he got to NZ or found new motivation? Many players have blossomed in a new environment in the past. There is definitely quota system in South Africa that affects the players but that said if someone is as good as Conway is now there is no way they'll miss out. Would be interesting to see his stats for Dolphins and Lions.

nzfan

Excellent... this is what I was saying. Check the stats team wise. For Dolphins and Lions he averaged around 21. These are two proper first class teams in South Africa from what I know.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Now that I'm home, here's every FC game he's ever played:

Gauteng v Easterns - Mar 5-6 2009
Gauteng v KZ-Natal - Dec 20-22 2009
Easterns v Gauteng - Jan 14-16 2010
W Province v Gauteng - Jan 21-23 2010
Gauteng v North West - Feb 4-6 2010
Griq West v Gauteng - Feb 18-19 2010
KZN-Inland v Gauteng - Feb 25-27 2010
Gauteng v Boland - Mar 11-13 2010
Northerns v Gauteng - Mar 18-20 2010
KZN-Inland v Northerns - Sep 30-Oct 2 2010
KZN-Inland v Gauteng - Oct 14-16 2010
Lions v Dolphins - Oct 21-24 2010
Griq West v KZN-Inland - Nov 11-13 2010
Cape Cobras v Dolphins - Dec 16-19 2010
Warriors v Dolphins - Jan 6-9 2011
Titans v Dolphins - Jan 13-16 2011
Dolphins v Cape Cobras - Jan 20-23 2011
Dolphins v Knights - Mar 24-27 2011
Dolphins v Lions - Mar 31-Apr 3 2011
S West D v KZN-Inland - Sep 29-Oct 1 2011
KZN-Inland v W Province - Oct 13-15 2011
Cape Cobras v Dolphins - Oct 20-23 2011
KZN-Inland v Namibia - Dec 1-3 2011
Warriors v Dolphins - Dec 15-18 2011
KZN-Inland v Border - Jan 5-7 2012
KZ-Natal v KZN-Inland - Jan 12-14 2012
Gauteng v KZN-Inland - Feb 2-4 2012
KZN-Inland v Griq West - Feb 9-11 2012
KZN-Inland v Easterns - Feb 23-25 2012
Free State v KZN-Inland - Mar 1-3 2012
Northerns v KZN-Inland - Mar 15-17 2012
Free State v Gauteng - Oct 11-13 2012
Gauteng v Northerns - Nov 1-3 2012
North West v Gauteng - Nov 8-10 2012
Easterns v Gauteng - Nov 15-17 2012
Gauteng v Namibia - Dec 13-15 2012
Gauteng v Griq West - Jan 3-5 2013
KZN-Inland v Gauteng - Jan 17-19 2013
S West D v Gauteng - Jan 31-Feb 2 2013
Gauteng v Border - Feb 14-16 2013
Gauteng v W Province - Feb 21-23 2013
Gauteng v E. Province - Mar 14-16 2013
Gauteng v KZ-Natal - Mar 21-23 2013
Boland v Gauteng - Apr 4-6 2013
Gauteng v S West D - Sep 26-28 2013
Gauteng v Boland - Oct 3-5 2013
KZ-Natal v Gauteng - Oct 31-Nov 2 2013
E. Province v Gauteng - Nov 7-8 2013
W Province v Gauteng - Nov 14-16 2013
Gauteng v KZN-Inland - Nov 28-30 2013
Border v Gauteng - Dec 5-7 2013
Griq West v Gauteng - Jan 23-25 2014
Gauteng v Free State - Feb 13-15 2014
Lions v Titans - Feb 20-22 2014
Lions v Knights - Mar 6-9 2014
Warriors v Lions - Mar 13-16 2014
Dolphins v Lions - Mar 27-30 2014
Lions v Cape Cobras - Apr 3-6 2014
Lions v Titans - Sep 25-28 2014
Gauteng v E. Province - Oct 2-4 2014
Easterns v Gauteng - Oct 9-11 2014
North West v Gauteng - Oct 16-18 2014
Gauteng v KZ-Natal - Nov 6-8 2014
Free State v Gauteng - Nov 20-22 2014
Gauteng v Border - Nov 27-29 2014
Griq West v Gauteng - Dec 11-13 2014
Cape Cobras v Lions - Dec 18-21 2014
Lions v Cape Cobras - Jan 8-11 2015
Boland v Gauteng - Jan 22-23 2015
Gauteng v Namibia - Jan 29-31 2015
Northerns v Gauteng - Feb 27-Mar 1 2015
Gauteng v Boland - Oct 22-24 2015
Lions v Dolphins - Dec 17-20 2015
Namibia v Gauteng - Jan 7-9 2016
Lions v Titans - Jan 21-24 2016
Gauteng v Free State - Feb 25-27 2016
Gauteng v Easterns - Mar 18-20 2016
Gauteng v KZN-Inland - Oct 13-15 2016
Gauteng v E. Province - Oct 20-22 2016
Gauteng v Namibia - Dec 15-17 2016
Titans v Lions - Jan 12-15 2017
Dolphins v Lions - Jan 19-22 2017
North West v Gauteng - Feb 23-25 2017
Gauteng v KZ-Natal - Mar 9-11 2017
Northern Cpe v Gauteng - Mar 16-18 2017
Gauteng v Border - Mar 23-25 2017
Otago v Wellington - Mar 10-13 2018
Wellington v Central D - Mar 17-20 2018
Wellington v Northern D - Mar 25-26 2018
Auckland v Wellington - Apr 2-4 2018
Wellington v Auckland - Oct 10-13 2018
Wellington v Otago - Oct 17-19 2018
Northern D v Wellington - Dec 6-9 2018
Central D v Wellington - Dec 14-17 2018
Wellington v Northern D - Feb 21-24 2019
Canterbury v Wellington - Mar 1-4 2019
Otago v Wellington - Mar 9-12 2019
Wellington v Otago - Oct 21-23 2019
Wellington v Canterbury - Oct 29-Nov 1 2019
Wellington v Auckland - Nov 8-11 2019

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I could give you stats too but I think they've been pretty well covered over the last couple of years (ie. that he was a sub-franchise three day cricket hero but failed to cement a spot above that). Let me know if you want a particular oddly filtered stat and I'll see what I can do.

I think Conway's a great case study in making sure you give your prolific and talented lower grade players a proper run in higher grades. Low confidence and simply samplesizelol can really obscure selectors and fans from potentially gun players in short stints.

Conway has obviously improved over time, but why he's improved is also important. I see nothing in my extensive data to suggest that the Sunfoil Series and all its name variants (four-day version) is actually a better standard than the Plunket Shield, but something between a bit of faith, a fresh start and a bit of luck saw him not get dropped from the Wellington side in the same way he was cast aside by those Dolphins and Lions sides, and not picked for SA Under 19s.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

I could give you stats too but I think they've been pretty well covered over the last couple of years (ie. that he was a sub-franchise three day cricket hero but failed to cement a spot above that). Let me know if you want a particular oddly filtered stat and I'll see what I can do.

I think Conway's a great case study in making sure you give your prolific and talented lower grade players a proper run in higher grades. Low confidence and simply samplesizelol can really obscure selectors and fans from potentially gun players in short stints.

Conway has obviously improved over time, but why he's improved is also important. I see nothing in my extensive data to suggest that the Sunfoil Series and all its name variants (four-day version) is actually a better standard than the Plunket Shield, but something between a bit of faith, a fresh start and a bit of luck saw him not get dropped from the Wellington side in the same way he was cast aside by those Dolphins and Lions sides, and not picked for SA Under 19s.
I find it very strange that he wasn’t given that faith in South Africa, because my reaction when I first saw him in person playing for Wellington was absolutely what is said in that article in the first post of this thread. He just looked like something special and a step above ... even if I think he only scored 40 or so in that innings.

Can’t wait to see how he goes for NZ, don’t think I’ve ever seen the types of numbers he’s putting up domestically atm in all my years (in NZ, at least!).

Flem274*

123/5
conway tonned up in his second game for wellington during a time when they were rebuilding and finally looking to use their own club players instead of hackfraud coaches jamie siddons and anthony stuart flying over random club cricketers from australia.

conway spent a fair bit of time playing club and wellington A iirc. he was always going to get a solid run in the new regime which has done wonders for several players, not just conway.
Can’t wait to see how he goes for NZ, don’t think I’ve ever seen the types of numbers he’s putting up domestically atm in all my years (in NZ, at least!).
colin munro, then kane/ryder/sinclair/ingram before him

SeamUp

International Coach

Around his initial opportunities I would say our franchise system was extremely strong. Quotas were 7/4 and black Africans weren't forced in that 4. We produced players for SA that came in and produced almost immediately and rarely lost SA A games.

Ray Jennings didn't seem a fan though for SA u19 level which I find the most interesting. That was a very successful set-up under Ray that won games and produced pro cricketers.

Imo no doubt he could have been looked after better and backed more in SA. Clearly a more excellence pushed environment could make him relax a bit more to know what he has to do and that is score runs in New Zealand.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Around his initial opportunities I would say our franchise system was extremely strong. Quotas were 7/4 and black Africans weren't forced in that 4. We produced players for SA that came in and produced almost immediately and rarely lost SA A games.

Ray Jennings didn't seem a fan though for SA u19 level which I find the most interesting. That was a very successful set-up under Ray that won games and produced pro cricketers.

Imo no doubt he could have been looked after better and backed more in SA. Clearly a more excellence pushed environment could make him relax a bit more to know what he has to do and that is score runs in New Zealand.
Yeah I said nothing about quotas even though I hate them, because I don't think they really played a major part in this. This was just bad talent identification and/or impatience with early mediocrity. It's also worth noting that he spent a large part of his early franchise career out of position - he both opened and batted 6/7 a fair bit. He probably should've been able to cope with both (he would now IMO), but when you're giving him 1-2 games at a time it can definitely lead to him not doing so immediately and teams missing out on a gun.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
sounds like what northern do with tim seifert. opening one game, batting #7 and keeping the next. he's done a lot better than conway did in the same situation, but his record is still patchy and northern have shown more faith. they've shuffled him around in part to keep him in the side when watling returns from international duty.