• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Devil Ducky's Diary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Eddie has actually declared he is leaving Cricketweb. It all stemmed from the criticism of his work in here. Tis a great shame :@
No way!! :-O I shall miss him as I always looked forward to reading what he had to say...

Blaze

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'll go against the grain and say I thought his reaction was pretty childish. I don't mind Devil Ducky and so on, but to leave the site because someone you've put on ignore half a dozen times says they don't like it is pretty ridiculous, especially framing it in the sense that they have forced you off the site. Use the ignore function or deal with it.
Spot on.. It's not the first time he has threatened to leave either...

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'll go against the grain and say I thought his reaction was pretty childish. I don't mind Devil Ducky and so on, but to leave the site because someone you've put on ignore half a dozen times says they don't like it is pretty ridiculous, especially framing it in the sense that they have forced you off the site. Use the ignore function or deal with it.
Fuller sense.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Aggrieved we all may be at the (temporary?) loss of Eduardo, I think the real victim here is benchmark. Shades of "The Fugitive" about it.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
The difference here is that I'm utterly sick and tired of cretins who frankly haven't had an original idea in their entire lives making judgements over what is original and what is not.

And I'll take advice from you when hell freezes over.
How can you say these people have never had an original idea in their whole lives? All it sounds like to me is you're blowing your own trumpet, thinking you are superior (which I am not saying is or is not true) to anyone who dare not appreciate your work.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
burkey_1988 said:
How can you say these people have never had an original idea in their whole lives? All it sounds like to me is you're blowing your own trumpet, thinking you are superior (which I am not saying is or is not true) to anyone who dare not appreciate your work.
Same way that the accusation can be levelled at me.

Sometimes, it's nice to have all the effort appreciated, and when that happens I thank them sincerely.

If it's someone who decides that what I've written isn't funny, that's their business.

When, however, it's criticism along the lines of 'what a waste of time' or 'this thread is just crap' or 'why is this thread still topped' or an open accusation that I have cribbed someone else's work or ideas ('not original'), then that's a little bit different. The criticism becomes cumulative, and pretty soon that's all I see whenever I sign on.

I've reached that stage now.

I'd appreciate it if this thread can be locked, unstickied, deleted preferably - no going back this time. I've already said enough things that I shouldn't, and unfairly had a go at a couple of staff members who are probably sick to death of this nonsense every few months.

Thanks.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
If you have a good look through this thread 99% of people have glowing praise for your work. However, there are always going to be detractors, it's part of life to be honest. And if you can't handle a little bit of criticism then maybe you could take the coward's way out and ask for this to be locked so no one can hurt your precious little ego anymore. Lots of people cop plenty on this forum, I myself dish it out and receive it from time to time; much more personal stuff than people are saying about the almighty Devil Ducky.

To me, it should just be water off a duck's back, excuse the pun.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
And if you can't handle a little bit of criticism then maybe you could take the coward's way out and ask for this to be locked so no one can hurt your precious little ego anymore.

To me, it should just be water off a duck's back, excuse the pun.
Well the issue is that it is not legitimate criticism being posted, its often just having a go without even thinking about it.

Criticism is one thing but single line putdowns are hard to handle when a lot of time and effort goes into something. When someone can spend 2 seconds posting a message of a couple of harsh words with no real content it makes you think if its worth while to invest the effort. For people to, so quickly and with no effort of their own, disparage so quickly without making any real contribution themselves is a joke that isn't particularly funny.

I generally do not post (this week is an exception as I needed to keep myself distracted) because I don't like how some peoples attitudes are to posts that have effort invested in them.

It can be very annoying, as it is far easier to destroy than create and we have far to many of the former rather than the later in CC presently.

Also maybe its just me but I don't see any reason to pointlessly attack something even if you don't like it.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Surely the "worth" in the time and effort would come from the dozens of posts of glowing praise, wouldn't it? It's not as though Eddie's written this huge forum full of DD posts and the only responses have been telling him to shove it. As Burpey said, the vast majority of them are positive, but when a couple of people step out of line and say they don't like it, the whole world comes crashing down. This is especially strange since the post that triggered it all in this thread was a "this is CRAP" from someone who isn't even a respected or regular poster on the site. Within the community of CW, frankly, who cares what that guy thinks?

Anyway, I really think someone like Eddie who likes to have a bit of a joke at people's expense and stir them up should be able to handle critical remarks without going off the deep end at people and threatening to leave the site. One can easily understand how he might be upset by criticism of so much work, but there's plenty of praise to go with it, and when you do so much stirring it's only normal to expect a few people to react negatively, and have a bit of a dig in return.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The horse is obviously not dead if it's speaking, Vimes...

Anyways, I'm going to put it under temporary lock, as the thread doesn't deserve to be clogged with these sorts of arguments.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
If that horse can talk, it's obviously not dead. Complete fabrication, Mørk! You're just a low down fraud. Get back to CW XI.

Status
Not open for further replies.