• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Debate thread for 2024 ranking of bowlers poll

capt_Luffy

International Regular
If it's to do with the shots being played, then there is a visible effect of T20 cricket, though that can also be attributed to the development in ODI cricket over a longer period. I've not denied this anywhere to be honest.

If it's to with batting averages in general I can point to pitch conditions around the world in the past few years, the general record of bowlers during said period, the developments in bowling skills like the wobble seam becoming widespread and so on that suggest other factors have had a larger negative effect on Test batting records than people playing more T20 cricket.
How does any of this proves though that T20 haven't affected Tests negatively??

Socerer 01

International Captain
How does any of this proves though that T20 haven't affected Tests negatively??
what does wobble seam’s rise, test bowling pitches becoming spicier to encourage more attention being paid to tests by cricket fans and to encourage more results have anything to do with t20s??

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought this thread was about comments on our current bowling poll. Instead it's become a debate about Test standards and the effect of t20s on batting. Everyone is entitled to opinions but this has become a discussion on whose opinion is fact and whose is not.
@Xix2565 you have had a lot to say on these off the thread's theme. Why not start a new thread rather than contributing to the drowning of the original OP?

Socerer 01

International Captain
I thought this thread was about comments on our current bowling poll. Instead it's become a debate about Test standards and the effect of t20s on batting. Everyone is entitled to opinions but this has become a discussion on whose opinion is fact and whose is not.
@Xix2565 you have had a lot to say on these off the thread's theme. Why not start a new thread rather than contributing to the drowning of the original OP?
if we had to start a new thread everytime a thread on this forum is derailed we would have to start 10 new threads everyday :laugh:

but i sympathise with u, you’re doing a great job conducting a poll and its annoying to see a side branch of your main thread deviate so heavily

Xix2565

International Debutant
Alright, I'll stop here then.

Sunil1z

International Regular
I think that poll is Dead now imo . I mean does it matter who is 41st ATG bowler and who is 48 th ?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Does a batter's mean ability to handle conditions not reflect in their batting averages? I thought the two points were inseparable.
No, they aren't. You can have a reduced ability of Test batsmen to handle difficult conditions without a reduction in overall average. It can be counter-balanced by other factors like bigger bats, smaller boundaries, enhanced strokeplay and scoring rates.

Look at England's tour of Pakistan. I would not trust those bats on a green top but on the roads they got over there the made like 350 in 2 sessions.

ma1978

State Captain
To go back on topic, and to stick to one country’s bowling, I find it odd that Jadeja is rated above Dev and Kumble. I get what the numbers say but just doesn’t feel right.

Also Botham massively underrated. No universe were Verity, Bedser and Statham are better bowlers for England than Botham.