• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Debate thread for 2024 Ranking of batsmen poll

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, to be fair, bringing in Barry doesn't solved the problem. I do have Barry in my 3rd World XI; but he really can't be called a Test great.
Fully agree, but there is a significant vacuum.

And not saying it's right, but there's reasons. He varied between my 2nd and 3rd team

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
There are some interesting options as overall cricketers though.

Simpson did average over 50 as an opener, so in that instance would be rated higher. He's also a top 3 slip fielder of all time and a more than useful leg slip bowler.

Graeme Smith played in much tougher conditions and against the 2nd best attack ever, but still maintained a really good average. He too was a really good slip and by reports an excellent captain.

BazBall21

International Regular
Thought Graeme Smith at 30 was a little high tbh. He's a top player and a welcome addition to the top 50, but above the likes of Neil Harvey, Gordon Greenidge, Rohan Kanhai and Martin Crowe is a stretch.

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
Yea G Smith was a good player but not quite at the same level as Kohli and De Villiers. There’s this weird obsession with away records on here which is why he gets overrated a bit.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
He played in that series; in fact all 5 matches and scored 251 @31; and that was the only time he played Aussies at home. He, according to Cricinfo, never missed a Test between his debut in 1929 and retirement in 1949.
Mb fsr I had the 35/36 SA series confused with Ashes 36/37

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Graeme Smith has officially become the most overrated batsmen on cricket web .

Noone thought he was better than Sehwag/ Hayden while all 3 were playing. Statsguru has played a big role in the hype machine of Smith .
I always thought he was better than both tbh.

However I agree he's being overrated. Number 30 of all time seems a bit crazy.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Assuming a reason behind it doesn’t make it any less wrong, nor should it be any less prone to criticism.
This is the disconnect, pretty sure most still has him as the opener for the AT SA team, so once that happens it's fair game tbh. Not for the first, but 2nd or 3rd.

OverratedSanity

Graeme Smith is CW's golden boy; so good away that people forgot he was kinda mid at home....
It is a bit silly that he gets extra credit for his home conditions despite him having a very poor home record. Atleast someone like Kallis actually did very well in tough conditions so it makes sense.

OverratedSanity

I think Crowe is very underrated in this poll. Was statistically maybe the best batsman in the world for a full decade in a bowler dominated era. Many players ranked above him in the poll didn't have a stretch that impressive. CW Kiwi fans need to be more noisy about their actual great players instead of no-career frauds like Shane Bond.

Sunil1z

International Regular
I think Crowe is very underrated in this poll. Was statistically maybe the best batsman in the world for a full decade in a bowler dominated era. Many players ranked above him in the poll didn't have a stretch that impressive. CW Kiwi fans need to be more noisy about their actual great players instead of no-career frauds like Shane Bond.
Well they used up all their energy on Williamson. Now that you have given them motivation, you might see Crowe as top 25 bat in 2026 poll .🤪

OverratedSanity