• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Debate thread for 2024 Ranking of batsmen poll

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I don’t personally have either in my top 15, no. They would be rated higher if they had been able to play more tests, but I “downgrade” them accordingly imo.
Headley played for a decade, Pollock didn't but was on course, O'Reilly closer to Headley's circumstances.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Headley played for a decade, Pollock didn't but was on course, O'Reilly closer to Headley's circumstances.
Pollock played for 7 years I believe, but still the no of Tests being lesser than 25 is an issue imo. I rate players overall in Red ball, but if it's Test only, there are some issues there.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
George Headley

1st test - 1930
Last test - 1954

24 years between debut and final test, so about the same as Tendulkar and more than current Anderson.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Pollock played for 7 years I believe, but still the no of Tests being lesser than 25 is an issue imo. I rate players overall in Red ball, but if it's Test only, there are some issues there.
They could only play against certain countries, cuts into the tests

capt_Luffy

International Regular
The issue is you can only perform when you got the opportunity. My bigger issue with him had more to do with the quality of bowlers than number of tests.
That's true for all of WG, Barry, Ranji, etc. also and they did even better.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
We'll start voting in about 6 hours time.

Having read the responses, round one will be 3, 2, 1 votes for the first 3 in our Top 50 (Bradman included) and the criteria is to be solely on Test performances. While there is no minimum Test appearances required, it is up to voters' to use number of tests played as they see fit.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
We'll start voting in about 6 hours time.

Having read the responses, round one will be 3, 2, 1 votes for the first 3 in our Top 50 (Bradman included) and the criteria is to be solely on Test performances. While there is no minimum Test appearances required, it is up to voters' to use number of tests played as they see fit.
Looking forward to it. Think I can imagine who makes the top 3, let's see if it's as predictable as the bowlers one was for the top 8. Think it may be

ataraxia

International Coach
Question: given that we're voting on test performances only, are we meant to ignore the underwhelming FC records of Barrington, Paynter, FS Jackson, Bland, Leyland, etc. and assume they did better than that? To determine how good this sort of player (with promising test performances over a relatively short frame of time) was in lieu of an FC record to fall back on, I'd just guess. Those guesses would overrate these guys significantly.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Question: given that we're voting on test performances only, are we meant to ignore the underwhelming FC records of Barrington, Paynter, FS Jackson, Bland, Leyland, etc. and assume they did better than that? To determine how good this sort of player (with promising test performances over a relatively short frame of time) was in lieu of an FC record to fall back on, I'd just guess. Those guesses would overrate these guys significantly.
Please pay attention to their FC records, but don't do so for Daryl Mitchell.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean 82 tests is a significant sample size imo… its been consistently documented that Barrington’s performance increased with every level. As for Leyland, I don’t think his record in an extremely batting friendly time is anywhere near good enough for top 50. As for the others who have all roughly 20 test samples I guess its up to us personally.

ma1978

International 12th Man
I categorically don’t agree with this point of view, but I can see a case for ranking Sachin (because of 200 tests across so many different countries or conditions) or Richards (for being Viv) over Bradman, and that wouldn’t be a meme vote.

peterhrt

U19 Cricketer
In 1977 Hutton's all-time England XI included five Yorkshiremen. Leyland was in but not Trueman or Verity.