• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dean Elgar vs Tom Latham vs Dimuth Karunaratne

Dean Elgar vs Tom Latham vs Dimuth Karunaratne

• Total voters

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Do people really care to have firm opinion on these middle tier cricketers who are yet to complete their careers?

Evidently yes!

palehorse

Cricket Spectator
Well, David Warner is easily the best opener going around. That goes without saying. I started this poll after reading a 4 years old article about Karunaratne where he was quoted saying -

"Dean Elgar and I have played the same number of Tests, basically, but I know his average is better than mine. His stats are better. If I catch up with him, then maybe I'll be able to find someone else"

It's an interesting read.

(Looks like I do not have the rights to post an external link here. Will try to get help from the moderators. The article is on Cricketmonthly, and the headline says "How Dimuth Karunaratne uses other players to get ahead")

ashley bach

International Captain
Almost 12 hours into the thread and Tom Latham isn't off the mark yet.
Could be the slowest duck of all time coming up here.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Does this mean you don’t rate Ricky Ponting as an ATG? He averages 35.3 in his 34 matches in India and England.
i mean that's a clever dunk but he's got five tons and eleven fifties compared to warner's zero tons and ten fifties hs 85
Backing @Shady Slim to have a good counter argument here...
call me the postman, i like to deliver inconsistently and on my own time

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
i mean that's a clever dunk but he's got five tons and eleven fifties compared to warner's zero tons and ten fifties hs 85
Yeah, I wasn’t comparing them. Just making sure you’re applying it to everyone. An average of 35 in those nations probably means that you don’t rate Ponting that highly either although obviously he’s still a level above Warner.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Elgar is a weird one. Does really well in SA, but struggles away from home.

Home av - 47.14 - in SA! (Helped by minnows but amazing)
To put that into context, only two South Africans in the modern era average more than him at home. De Villiers just slightly more with 47.40 and Kallis way out in front with 56.73.

Gob

International Coach
yeah i can't count smith given the time he played and re warner his constant failures in india and england (the tours that matter most for a touring oz team) are to me a huge minus

cc @GIMH it's not just joe root who this standard is applied to
Lmao check Elgar's and Karunaratne's away records

Gob

International Coach
This is typical CricketChat, rating consistent mediocrity over Warner who is ATG-level in more than half the games he plays

By all means Cook, Smith, Langer can reasonably be rated better than Warner for their better adaptability, but not these guys lol
Haha yeah. These guys aren't better than Warner even away from home (intact far worse in Karunarathne's and Edgar's case)

a massive zebra

International Captain
This is typical CricketChat, rating consistent mediocrity over Warner who is ATG-level in more than half the games he plays

By all means Cook, Smith, Langer can reasonably be rated better than Warner for their better adaptability, but not these guys lol
Still the best opener in England even though he played his last Test over four years ago.

BazBall21

International Regular
Latham’s average against non-minnow pace attacks: 29.65
Latham’s average outside Asia against non-minnow pace attacks: 25.19

It’s also worth noting that two of his three hundreds that come under the first filter were against a very poor Pakistan pace attack in 2014. Removing that, his average comes down to 27.57 with one hundred in 88 innings that came on a road against England, a team who notoriously struggle to take wickets in such conditions.

BazBall21

International Regular
Lmao check Elgar's and Karunaratne's away records
Yeah. Warner seems to get more scrutiny for his away record than others. Definitely the best opener of his generation. I think Sharma is a better bat than Elgar but not sure I could say he’s had a better overall test career.

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Yeah. Warner seems to get more scrutiny for his away record than others. Definitely the best opener of his generation. I think Sharma is a better bat than Elgar but not sure I could say he’s had a better overall test career.
Warner is definitely not the best opener of his generation. Cook has to be well ahead, much more consistently reliable across a wider span of conditions and over a longer period. I don't really see any argument for placing Warner ahead of Cook except possibly his record in Australia, but Cook himself had one of the best ever series there. They are only about 18 months apart in age so definitely of the same generation.

Gob

International Coach
Probably because its not good enough for a man of his ability. Bit like Mahela