• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Day-night Tests

Do you like the idea of Day-Night Tests?

• Total voters

pup11

International Coach
Australia see night Tests as a matter of survival

Is this possible and if this shapes up in the coming years would you be happy about it, atleast CA chief executive Jamie sutherland thinks so, he feels this could be one the ways to save test cricket and bring back crowds to test cricket, i personally don't have any problem with it unless players don't have any problems sighting the ball under lights, because i think any step that ensures survival of test match cricket should be more than welcomed, so what are your thoughts on it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I am absolutely and utterly 100% in support of this measure. People whine about 20/20 taking over Test cricket, while at the same time opposing all measures to make Test cricket more easily accesible to viewers. Hardcore fans like me watch cricket from 12:00AM-7:00AM and pretty much get zero sleep during some series, but you can't expect most people to miss work for cricket.

Instead of trying to get rid of the excitement and accessibility of 20/20, why not make Test cricket more accesible?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And yes, I think the ball could be a problem, but the situation is not insurmountable - baseball and ODI/T20 have day-night games. Obviously cricket ball gives more problems, but I'd rather players feel a little more discomfort if it means Test cricket will be so much more accessible to the fans.
The white balls used in one-day international cricket also behave in a slightly different manner to red balls and, in any case, would be unsuitable for matches where the players wear white.
So stop wearing white...

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned
Not with white balls. They become dirty too soon.

Plus, factors like dew (in the subcontinent) etc can be a huge problem.

But otherwise it looks an ok prospect. Esp, it has been tried before in World Series Cricket of the Packer days. They did then with the orange ball. Read somewhere that the MCC has started experimenting with pink balls. ITSTL.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If a solution to the ball problem (white balls in Tests are a big nono for me) can be found, I'd be 100% in support - provided it wasn't used where it was unneccessary.

There's no need at all for day\night Tests in this country for instance - houses are already full. As far as Australia is concerned I think the more pressing need is to be more careful about banning "fun" at the cricket than introducing day\night games, as Australia has always had considerable Test crowds until recently when some silly rules have been introduced. Likewise, the fact that India are "only" getting 25,000 in per day rather than the 70,000 you get for a ODI isn't a massive problem for my money. In West Indies I believe ticket prices rather than anything else is the biggest problem.

But in places like South Africa, New Zealand, Sri Lanka and (if their cricket survives at all) Pakistan it'd be a great idea IMO. Tests crowds are almost invariably desultory in all, and while I doubt it'll ensure full-houses I presume it'll up the atmosphere enough to justify the cost of the extra electricity.

pasag

RTDAS
Big fan if they can solve the ball issue. It gets rid of the bad light issue and it is great for people to catch a session after work, at the ground or on TV. Basically pushing Test cricket into prime time.

pasag

RTDAS
If a solution to the ball problem (white balls in Tests are a big nono for me) can be found, I'd be 100% in support - provided it wasn't used where it was unneccessary.

There's no need at all for day\night Tests in this country for instance - houses are already full. As far as Australia is concerned I think the more pressing need is to be more careful about banning "fun" at the cricket than introducing day\night games, as Australia has always had considerable Test crowds until recently when some silly rules have been introduced. Likewise, the fact that India are "only" getting 25,000 in per day rather than the 70,000 you get for a ODI isn't a massive problem for my money. In West Indies I believe ticket prices rather than anything else is the biggest problem.

But in places like South Africa, New Zealand, Sri Lanka and (if their cricket survives at all) Pakistan it'd be a great idea IMO. Tests crowds are almost invariably desultory in all, and while I doubt it'll ensure full-houses I presume it'll up the atmosphere enough to justify the cost of the extra electricity.
You're only looking at it from a crowds perspective though. Ratings, however are really the most important thing, especially on a national basis. Also, there's little evidence to suggest new security measures in Australian grounds are having much, if any of an impact on crowd numbers.

pup11

International Coach
And yes, I think the ball could be a problem, but the situation is not insurmountable - baseball and ODI/T20 have day-night games. Obviously cricket ball gives more problems, but I'd rather players feel a little more discomfort if it means Test cricket will be so much more accessible to the fans.

So stop wearing white...
I think one can't expect players to turn up for test cricket in coloured clothing, that's just not test cricket then, anyways i think though white clothing is a problem, but i think the main problem is that the red ball has been always difficult to sight for batsmen and in particular for the fielders under lights, so a different coloured ball has to developed if they wish to go through with the idea.

I think an orange coloured ball with a white seam should do the trick and it would be easy for the cameras to pick it too, anyways i am excited about the concept, i just hope it materialises in the near future.

pup11

International Coach
Good to see a poll with no nonsensical options.
Wanted to keep things serious since we are talking about test cricket and how it should shape up in the future.

pup11

International Coach
You're only looking at it from a crowds perspective though. Ratings, however are really the most important thing, especially on a national basis. Also, there's little evidence to suggest new security measures in Australian grounds are having much, if any of an impact on crowd numbers.
Yup and as you said pushing test cricket into the prime time slot would go a long way in ensuring that test cricket stays a financially viable option and hence remain safe from going extint, because as SS said no matter how big a cricket lover one might be, one can't seriously miss their school, uni, or work to watch test cricket from morning to evening, and Day-night Tests would basically eradicate that problem to a large extent.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I cant decide.

It is one of those things that I dont oppose on principle but could have unseen unfortunate knock on effects. eg maybe playing under lights brings the game closer to T20 and the game loses some of its uniqueness and support that it had by playing in different timeslots in different clothing.

Id be wary of making the change. However, Im not completely against it but I wouldnt use it as a revenue boost, rather keep it as a last resort if Test cricket was to die.

pup11

International Coach
Tbh, the last option is clearly a joke option here. Admit it.
Yeah you can say its kind of a joke, but there are seriously people out there who dislike test cricket and love ODI and T20 instead, which i would like top add is just a horrible, horrible thing to do.....:ph34r:

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Id be wary of making the change. However, Im not completely against it but I wouldnt use it as a revenue boost, rather keep it as a last resort if Test cricket was to die.
We have to be proactive, we shouldn't wait until that point. By that time, if people have lost all interest, no one will care if they don't watch at night or don't watch during the day.