• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

David Gower vs Virender Sehwag

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Not only that, his SR compares favorably with others among the top scorers in the 99 world cup. Dravid was a perfectly fine ODI batsman. Pretty much unstoppable for a long time.
Dravid was an avg ODI Batsman.
99 WC was the highest point in his ODI career, yet
he won zero POM awards
No game changing knocks
Scored two big 100s in easy matches in sidekick role.

The worst WC top scorer ever.
Ganguly was better than Dravid in 99 WC.
Sachin, Azhar, Ganguly, Jadeja and Even Robin Singh had better knocks compared to Dravid's in 99 WC.. I think.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I see lot of foolish people here over rating the players of the olden times. They don’t stand a chance against modern players.
How old are you?

Jack Hobbs was the greatest opener ever because of how he played in his era. Outside of Gavaskar, who btw don't exactly flourish in said conditions either, which modern openers flourished in swinging and or fast / bouncing conditions fearless sticky ones? I'll wait. Sehwag, Hayden?

Hutton, with one hand shorter than the next faced hostile pace I'm Australia, swing in England and mystery spin in the Caribbean. That's not to mention breaking the world record against the 3rd best spinner ever.

Yes Bradman batted in one of the two flattest eras of the history of the game and didn't exactly face the cream of the crop bowling wise. But name another batsman from today who would have the mental strength to bat like that? Sangakkara had similar conditions and ended up in the 60's.

How many batsmen since the '80's would be capable of facing Larwood in bodyline with no helmets or protection. Archer would have literally killed Smith. Sobers faced Lindwall and Miller as a teenager and took them on.

Look at the size of the boundaries and of the bats, lack of specialized trainers and protective equipment and possibly reassess your perspective please.

CricketFan90s

State 12th Man
How old are you?

Jack Hobbs was the greatest opener ever because of how he played in his era. Outside of Gavaskar, who btw don't exactly flourish in said conditions either, which modern openers flourished in swinging and or fast / bouncing conditions fearless sticky ones? I'll wait. Sehwag, Hayden?

Hutton, with one hand shorter than the next faced hostile pace I'm Australia, swing in England and mystery spin in the Caribbean. That's not to mention breaking the world record against the 3rd best spinner ever.

Yes Bradman batted in one of the two flattest eras of the history of the game and didn't exactly face the cream of the crop bowling wise. But name another batsman from today who would have the mental strength to bat like that? Sangakkara had similar conditions and ended up in the 60's.

How many batsmen since the '80's would be capable of facing Larwood in bodyline with no helmets or protection. Archer would have literally killed Smith. Sobers faced Lindwall and Miller as a teenager and took them on.

Look at the size of the boundaries and of the bats, lack of specialized trainers and protective equipment and possibly reassess your perspective please.
Common man they were good in their time but the game improved. Fitness levels of modern players is crazy compared to old players. Cricket skills also saw lot of improvement over the years.

CricketFan90s

State 12th Man
Sutcliffe faced excellent spin bowlers. Barrington faced excellent pace and spin bowlers.
are you kidding me Dravid faced 2 best spin bowlers of cricket Murali and Warne. He faced 90s and 2000s fast bowlers. Gavaskar without helmet faced West Indies attack.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
there are a lot of new cricket skills developed over years like reverse swing, doosra. so use some common sense man. Cricket has been globalized over recent 3 decades and the competition is very high.
I do use common sense, you may want to take your own advice.

CricketFan90s

State 12th Man
I do use common sense, you may want to take your own advice.
In the Era of WG Grace or Jack Hobbs most of the Nations were unaware of a game by name Cricket. It was mostly like a National Level Competition in England and Australia among the British People. After 1950s Most of Countries got Independence and many South Asian Players and African Players started to play serious cricket. 1970s marked the Start of Interesting Rivalries in Cricket. 70s West Indies, 80s Pakistan, 90s South Africa and 2000s India and Srilanka emerged as Good Cricket playing Nations to challenge Australia. Not taking away the contributions done by the players before 1970s but they don’t stand a chance to modern players.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
In the Era of WG Grace or Jack Hobbs most of the Nations were unaware of a game by name Cricket. It was mostly like a National Level Competition in England and Australia among the British People. After 1950s Most of Countries got Independence and many South Asian Players and African Players started to play serious cricket. 1970s marked the Start of Interesting Rivalries in Cricket. 70s West Indies, 80s Pakistan, 90s South Africa and 2000s India and Srilanka emerged as Good Cricket playing Nations to challenge Australia. Not taking away the contributions done by the players before 1970s but they don’t stand a chance to modern players.
Well if you directly time portal them to current era, yes they will struggle. Give them the modern facilities they will be as good as todays players. I do believe quality of bowling gradually increased than that of batting. The tactics and fielding improved exponentially. So even the players of old days were given modern facilities, they will get lot more challenges thrown at them. So I would imaging there would be a drop in performance of many, but there will be some who will keep up. Suggesting they will fall like a pack of cards just shows inadequate knowledge on the game.