• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

David Gower vs Virender Sehwag

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
I think same logic applies in both cases .
I don't fully agree on that, as both Sutcliffe and Barrington had full careers and Bumrah is only halfway through his. By the time he retires, he has the capability to be over Donald.

Sunil1z

International Regular
I don't fully agree on that, as both Sutcliffe and Barrington had full careers and Bumrah is only halfway through his. By the time he retires, he has the capability to be over Donald.
What if Bumrah takes only 50 more wickets in next 5 years and retires ? ( Because of his bowling action) . So if he ends with 200 wkts @20 , would you consider him better than Donald. ?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
No, what you wanted to point out was the difference in batting average. And that batting average can easily be attributed to late stage career decline for both Dravid and Gavaskar.
Which again, is not the argument

England being the home game. …..

If Dravid and Ganguly had played in early 20th century both would have same reputation as Hobbs and Hutton.
Come on, Ganguly averages like 42. No Aussie would really claim about how someone like Steve Waugh and Mark Waugh would be a top 10 batsman or like Hobbs, Hutton if they played during that timeframe.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Come on, Ganguly averages like 42. No Aussie would really claim about how someone like Steve Waugh and Mark Waugh would be a top 10 batsman or like Hobbs, Hutton if they played during that timeframe.
Ganguly averages 42 and so does Gower . We are being told that he was better than Sehwag ( averaging 49) because he played his Home game game in England.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Gower averaged 44 and 46 overseas in a vastly tougher era than Ganguly. The comparison to downhill skier Ian Bell was equally disrespectful.
I was joking earlier man 😊
I think irrespective of home conditions a 42 average player cannot be better than 49 one .

And I use the same logic for comparing Kapil and Anderson

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
I was joking earlier man 😊
I think irrespective of home conditions a 42 average player cannot be better than 49 one .

And I use the same logic for comparing Kapil and Anderson
I mean, Martin Crowe averages 46, Mohammad Yousuf 52; and I don't think they're particularly close but in the opposite direction.

Sunil1z

International Regular
I mean, Martin Crowe averages 46, Mohammad Yousuf 52; and I don't think they're particularly close but in the opposite direction.
This logic doesn’t applies here . Sehwag was an opener . I would take an opener averaging 49 anyday over middle order batsman averaging 42 irrespective of home conditions.

Sunil1z

International Regular
In terms of the principle, Crowe averages 5 runs less than Hayden and I'd rate Crowe ahead.
If you had said Cook is better than Hayden/Sehwag , I might have been more sympathetic to you . But if you say a middle order batsman who averages 5 less then it is absolutely no from me .