• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Damien Martyn

Craig

World Traveller
Coming into this Australian summer, the Australian selectors have a deliema on their hands regarding Damien Martyn.

Currantly Mr Martyn is playing for Yorkshire after coming back after his finger injury in the ODI series against Bangladesh and batted very well at Cairns.

The deliema on the hands of the selectors is to whether to pick him in the Test team against Zimbabwe and India or keep with Martin Love.

It would be unfair to drop Love after getting a century in his last Test yet Martyn will probably get the nod.

Thoughts?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Love scored a ton against Bangladesh. Martyn should take his place but Love should be in the squad and should be seen as the eventual replacement for Steve Waugh if he ever decides to retire...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
Then Darren Lehman shouldnt be selected?
I said Love should be in the Squad. I didn't say he should be in the 1st choice XI. To take Lehmann out now would make no sense.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I think Damian Martyn will be close to our best batsman this summer.

In the few inning's he has played since the finger injury he has looked really good and having had souch a long layoff he will be very hungry for runs.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
I said Love should be in the Squad. I didn't say he should be in the 1st choice XI. To take Lehmann out now would make no sense.
Harsh people would say almost as little sense as selecting him in the first place!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Harsh people would say almost as little sense as selecting him in the first place!
He's scored good runs since his recall therefor deserves to keep his place. He's averaging over 50 at the moment...

Andre

International Regular
This is a no-brainer - Martyn comes back.

Look at the Australian selectors, and when Martyn starred in 1999/2000 for an injured Ponting, he was dumped on Ponting's return. And has he rightly stated, that's the way it should be.

I can't see that changing.

Langeveldt

Soutie
IMO it seems like a good dilemma to be in, two class players fighting for a spot, you make it sound like its a bad thing...

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
He doesn't score quickly enough IMO! :lol:
\

That's just the problem he does.

His test and ODI strike rates are better than most other batsman in his class. He even has the fastest ever ODI fifty by an Australian.

I dont know what age has against him.

Last edited:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
his OD fast 50 hardly counts, he has played like that once in his career. In test matches, as he seems to play a fairly defensive role usually, well it Love has better defense and has a better range of shots, and is therefore less likley to be pinned down. to score like Martyn did in the recent game against Bangladesh he had to pinch hit basically, if he did that more often his average would go down, but it would be entertaining....

Eclipse

International Debutant
age_master said:
his OD fast 50 hardly counts, he has played like that once in his career. In test matches, as he seems to play a fairly defensive role usually, well it Love has better defense and has a better range of shots, and is therefore less likley to be pinned down. to score like Martyn did in the recent game against Bangladesh he had to pinch hit basically, if he did that more often his average would go down, but it would be entertaining....
I realy doubt Love has a bigger stroke range than Martyn.

Even if he does he has no power at all compaired to Martyn

Just remember how he used to bat before last summer when his form was not that good he was scoring as fast as any of the Australians.

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
daamien martyn is a bit annoying but a good batsman and a bowler who the captain can turn to [desperately] FULL STOP.

Eclipse

International Debutant
No but it does take alot of power to hit the ball over cover for six off the back foot a shot witch he has played many time's now.