• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dale Steyn vs Wasim Akram vs Curtly Ambrose

Better Test Match Bowler

• Curtly Ambrose

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Dale Steyn

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Wasim Akram

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember as a kid thinking he was the most unlucky bowler ever. He'd finish his first spell with 2-15, which included a dozen play and misses and 12 of those runs would have been edges through the slips!

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Unlucky? I used to think he was a demi demon gotten by Australia through blood ritual and sorcery.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Yeah but that magic was good to watch but didn't always get you wickets though.

A higher WPM deserves SOME weightage, IMO.
Sorry for bumping up the thread.
But it is plain wrong to rate Ambrose higher based on WPM.

Wickets per innings
Akram - 2.29 (414 from 181)
Ambrose - 2.26 (405 from 179)
No one addressed this so far.

during Ambrose Career (1988-2000)

Ambrose
98 tests, 179 inn, 405 wkts, 20.99 avg, 2.3 ER, 54.5 SR, 22 x 5, 3 X 10

Akram
78 tests, 139 inn, 344 wkts, 22.38 avg, 2.6 ER, 51.4 SR, 21 x 5, 4 X 10

Akram's stats adjusted to 179 innings
443 wickets (Ambrose 405, 38 less)
27 x 5 wickets( Ambrose 22, 5 less)
5 x 10 wickets ( Ambrose 3, 2 less )

Asian conditions, bowling from the junk end, below par fielding support.. all makes Akram stats even more impressive.

All 3 in same league, it is painful to see that 0 votes against Akram's name.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah I’m quite surprised by that. Perhaps people were projecting an extra couple of years into the end of Steyn’s career, when he’s actually found it hard to get a lot of games in the last couple of years.

I’ll say Ambrose > Steyn > Wasim as test bowlers, though it’s close enough that I’d probably pick Wasim for his extra batting.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Yeah I’m quite surprised by that. Perhaps people were projecting an extra couple of years into the end of Steyn’s career, when he’s actually found it hard to get a lot of games in the last couple of years.
Imo the difference in their striking ability was enough to rate Steyn marginally higher than Ambrose even a few years ago. 34 more wickets in 5 fewer tests (even with those years at the end where he'd get injured halfway through every game) is a significant difference.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's a perfectly reasonable opinion either way but I was saying I'm surprised he won the poll given the usual love of 90s/2000s cricketers on these things.

That said, the average point of the nostalgia goggles might be starting to move on from there recently.

OverratedSanity

Yeah i think since 2016 or so when Steyn's injuries started piling up, I've actually had nostalgia goggles on for Steyn rather than anyone from the 90s.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Sorry for bumping up the thread.
But it is plain wrong to rate Ambrose higher based on WPM.

Wickets per innings
Akram - 2.29 (414 from 181)
Ambrose - 2.26 (405 from 179)
No one addressed this so far.

during Ambrose Career (1988-2000)

Ambrose
98 tests, 179 inn, 405 wkts, 20.99 avg, 2.3 ER, 54.5 SR, 22 x 5, 3 X 10

Akram
78 tests, 139 inn, 344 wkts, 22.38 avg, 2.6 ER, 51.4 SR, 21 x 5, 4 X 10

Akram's stats adjusted to 179 innings
443 wickets (Ambrose 405, 38 less)
27 x 5 wickets( Ambrose 22, 5 less)
5 x 10 wickets ( Ambrose 3, 2 less )

Asian conditions, bowling from the junk end, below par fielding support.. all makes Akram stats even more impressive.

All 3 in same league, it is painful to see that 0 votes against Akram's name.
How could you adjust it though from 78 to 98 tests like that ? Would Akram's performance be the same if he played those 20 tests ?

Akram also started his career much earlier than Ambrose hence had time to understand his game by the time Ambrose debuted.

And about, "Asian conditions", Akram averages better in asia than outside asia.

Glad that they both belonged to the same era, hence saved from era adjustment torture.

Akram is a great bowler nonetheless, and the only reason he got 0 votes is that the other 2 were better

trundler

The top 2-5 switch places every time you hold one of these threads.

Ambrose inched ahead in the fast bowler survival. Some had him #2.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How could you adjust it though from 78 to 98 tests like that ? Would Akram's performance be the same if he played those 20 tests ?

Akram also started his career much earlier than Ambrose hence had time to understand his game by the time Ambrose debuted.

Glad that they both belonged to the same era, hence saved from era adjustment torture.

Akram is a great bowler nonetheless, and the only reason he got 0 votes is that the other 2 were better
You must be new at this.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant

//How could you adjust it though from 78 to 98 tests like that ? Would Akram's performance be the same if he played those 20 tests ?//

There is no need of adjustment there, you can compare 78 tests with 98 tests, its comparable anyway. But that adjustment would help for a better understanding. ( also, by that logic how can you say Bradman was better than Sachin? Sachin played 4 times more matches )

//Akram also started his career much earlier than Ambrose hence had time to understand his game by the time Ambrose debuted.//

How is that Akram's fault?
Its acceptable in Donald's case though.

//And about, "Asian conditions", Akram averages better in asia than outside asia.//

Home conditions.

//Akram is a great bowler nonetheless, and the only reason he got 0 votes is that the other 2 were better//

Yeah, thats why most experts / contemporaries rank Akram higher. Here people voting Ambrose because His WPM is better than Akram's. lol

You won a lottery, and you can choose from 2 plans.
Ambrose plan - 2 million every year for 10 years ( avg 2 million per year )
Akram plan - Ambrose plan + 1 million every year for another 5 yrs ( avg 1.67 million per year )

Akram plan excites me more.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
//How could you adjust it though from 78 to 98 tests like that ? Would Akram's performance be the same if he played those 20 tests ?//

There is no need of adjustment there, you can compare 78 tests with 98 tests, its comparable anyway. But that adjustment would help for a better understanding. ( also, by that logic how can you say Bradman was better than Sachin? Sachin played 4 times more matches )

//Akram also started his career much earlier than Ambrose hence had time to understand his game by the time Ambrose debuted.//

How is that Akram's fault?
Its acceptable in Donald's case though.

//And about, "Asian conditions", Akram averages better in asia than outside asia.//

Home conditions.

//Akram is a great bowler nonetheless, and the only reason he got 0 votes is that the other 2 were better//

Yeah, thats why most experts / contemporaries rank Akram higher. Here people voting Ambrose because His WPM is better than Akram's. lol

You won a lottery, and you can choose from 2 plans.
Ambrose plan - 2 million every year for 10 years ( avg 2 million per year )
Akram plan - Ambrose plan + 1 million every year for another 5 yrs ( avg 1.67 million per year )

Akram plan excites me more.
So Sachin plan must be better than Sobers plan or Bradman plan then.