• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dale Steyn vs Allan Donald vs Shaun Pollock

Who is the better bowler?

• Total voters

Satyanash89

Banned
The thing is, for millions of people in the subcontinent ODIs are pretty much the premier form of the game. And with Arram being regarded, not without merit as probably the best ODI fast bowler ever, it creates a bias among the general SC cricket fan base in favour of Akram as they've seen him gun it in hundreds of ODI games, which is the format they watch most often

Akram's an awesome test bowler but to say that he's the best ever is very very arguable. Guys like Marshall, McGrath etc certainly have more of a claim than he does imo.

Last edited:

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
The thing is, for millions of people in the subcontinent ODIs are pretty much the premier form of the game. And with Arram being regarded, not without merit as probably the best ODI fast bowler ever, it creates a bias among the general SC cricket fan base in favour of Akram as they've seen him gun it in hundreds of ODI games, which is the format they watch most often

Akram's an awesome test bowler but to say that he's the best ever is very very arguable. Guys like Marshall, McGrath etc certainly have more of a claim than he does imo.
Plus the looks , action (few steps and bang), flip of his hair after each delivery,left-armer grace and then some magic deliveries adds to the allure as well. I remember once IChappell saying if i want to be born as a cricketer i would like to be born as Wasim for the reasons mentioned above! There is also this feeling atleast among SC fans that it all comes naturally to him. There is this feeling among fans that he can make an orange swing . He atleast has steadfast maintained that it is through countless hrs of hardwork and lots of practice but the fans don't see it that way. It all adds up. Now you all peel the orange.......

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
sobers no:1, you need help with your signature? I mean - its the most irritating thing ever!
It's kind of like the old unlicensed cricket computer games, when they changed the names slightly

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's kind of like the old unlicensed cricket computer games, when they changed the names slightly
Yeah Monk! Memories.. Pointlessly trying to figure out how to get the damn fielding formation you want.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Plus the looks , action (few steps and bang), flip of his hair after each delivery,left-armer grace and then some magic deliveries adds to the allure as well. I remember once IChappell saying if i want to be born as a cricketer i would like to be born as Wasim for the reasons mentioned above! There is also this feeling atleast among SC fans that it all comes naturally to him. There is this feeling among fans that he can make an orange swing . He atleast has steadfast maintained that it is through countless hrs of hardwork and lots of practice but the fans don't see it that way. It all adds up. Now you all peel the orange.......
That was Border.

sobers no:1

Banned
Akram? Goodness no.
17 MOM
had best stats in early 90s
2 hat-tricks
7 MOS
..etc

now think about controversies , injuries , diabetics , pak team's unity , fielding standards..etc

ESPN 25 legends
no:3 pace bowler behind lillee and marshall
a panel member said , he is among 3 best fast bowlers he has seen . marshal , akram and lillee , akram had more weapons than those two.
ask akram's contemporaries , who is their best fast bowler..

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I would rate Wasim behind Imran and more often than not Waqar, but that is just my opnion and it was Waqar who was one of my favorites growing up, just though he was the more dangerous of the two.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
He was a great fast bowler, there's no doubt. But he isn't the best. I can think of at least 5 off the top of my head who I consider better than him.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree that there should be a separate thread for this, but anyway, just a thought on the whole Akram topic: Taking the batch of the 90s bowlers - Wasim, Waqar, Donald, Pollock, Ambrose and McGrath (McGrath to a lesser extent as his skills reached their peak in the 2000s according to me) - The most destructive peak was, I think most will agree, Waqar's. Ambrose, McGrath and Pollock were the ones who would give you great results day in and day out with their enormous range of subtle variations which required as enormous a skill package as the reverse swinging erotica of the Ws. And the thing about Donald and Wasim was that both of them would consistently through the years produce those incredible spells of bowling which looked (and were) magnificent, breathtaking, and unplayable. They were special because they could produce those kind of wondrous spells quite regularly through the year, but of course not in every test. I think that's how I think of these guys.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
My dream opening combo would be to see Steyn and Waqar bowling together. One has the best outswinger I have ever seen and the other the best inswinger.

Incidentally Waqar has been hired to coach in the IPL and Steyn is playing for that team. Maybe he could learn a few tricks from Waqar.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
It's been so long since Waqar's prime, but did he even have any tricks in his armoury other than the yorker? He's synonymous with that for good reason, but rarely do you see footage where he's doing something else with the ball. Steyn is a far more complete fast bowler IMO, especially now that he's obviously working more effectively with the one that nips in. Definitely has a nastier shorter length for one.

Last edited: