• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dale Steyn among the top three pacers of all time, says Waqar Younis

Chrish

International Debutant
Donald is one of the few bowlers I might rank alongside with Steyn.. He gets underrated due to lack of longevity (not by his own fault), relatively poor record against Australia and that fiasco in WC semi.

The guy was an embodiment of hostility and aggressiveness

Debris

International 12th Man
Oh definitely, and neither as good as Steyn. In fact calling Steyn in the same category as Johnson is a total bull**** one-eyed patriotic call.
Did you read my above post at all? No-one is saying that Johnson is close to as good as Steyn.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And then he returned to SA and bowled some absolute ****e which cost SA the return series against Australia. His best is so good but then he will deal up rubbish like that. He fits into the same category as Waqar and Johnson for me. How much you like them depends on how much you like to gamble.
Are you joking here? Which series are you talking about? 2013-14 at home? Steyn was playing half injured for most of it, and still produced a silly good spell at Capetown tp win them the match.

And saying Steyn's bad spells are anywhere near as bad as Mitch or Shoaib is just wrong.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I can understand if people want to claim that the gap between Peak Steyn and Regular Steyn is fairly large. That's pretty true. He's not a reliably ATG quality like guys like McGrath, Ambrose and Hadlee. But Regular Steyn is still a world-class fast bowler. He's still really ****ing good, and then when he enters God Mode for those couple of spells each series, he's absolutely incredible. Literally unplayable.

Comparisons to Waqar and Mitch are quite off IMO.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
That Steyn has lasted so long as a fast bowler in this era of rigorous constant cricket is incredible. The last outright fast bowler (Anderson is fast medium) who took 400 test wickets was Ambrose who played his last test in 2000. I wonder how many years it will be before another comes along who takes 400. The number of test matches has increased compared to the previous century. However, it is infinitely harder for a fast bowler to last so long in an era of cricket all round the year.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
God mode is completely imaginary.. There is no such thing
This isn't true. As Frith mentioned in The Fast Men, when a proper fast bowler is bowling at his best, one cannot really do much as a batsman. That's god mode.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Nah, Ambrose was an out and out fast bowler. He slowed down a bit last 2-3 years but till 97 or so he was quite fast and lethal.

Flem274*

123/5
I can understand if people want to claim that the gap between Peak Steyn and Regular Steyn is fairly large. That's pretty true. He's not a reliably ATG quality like guys like McGrath, Ambrose and Hadlee. But Regular Steyn is still a world-class fast bowler. He's still really ****ing good, and then when he enters God Mode for those couple of spells each series, he's absolutely incredible. Literally unplayable.

Comparisons to Waqar and Mitch are quite off IMO.
hmm I think Steyn's issue is we're judging him by watching him every day whereas people only ever remember the highlights of the other three you mention. They had bad days too.

the effect is even more pronounced with bowlers who played before TV and youtube.

smash84

The Tiger King
That Steyn has lasted so long as a fast bowler in this era of rigorous constant cricket is incredible. The last outright fast bowler (Anderson is fast medium) who took 400 test wickets was Ambrose who played his last test in 2000. I wonder how many years it will be before another comes along who takes 400. The number of test matches has increased compared to the previous century. However, it is infinitely harder for a fast bowler to last so long in an era of cricket all round the year.
Wasim took 400 wickets after Ambrose

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I suppose one could put Walsh in there too. Or Anderson as well. Point is that it's extremely difficult to take 400 test wickets for an express fast bowler today. Case in point is Johnson. Steyn's 400 is a bit like Trueman's 300. It's very impressive.

smash84

The Tiger King
I suppose one could put Walsh in there too. Or Anderson as well. Point is that it's extremely difficult to take 400 test wickets for an express fast bowler today. Case in point is Johnson. Steyn's 400 is a bit like Trueman's 300. It's very impressive.
SA do play less cricket than the others i suppose.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
hmm I think Steyn's issue is we're judging him by watching him every day whereas people only ever remember the highlights of the other three you mention. They had bad days too.

the effect is even more pronounced with bowlers who played before TV and youtube.
True.

I do think he has more bad days than say, McGrath and Ambrose though. But then he has those crazy destructive days more often too.