• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Daemon learns to cricket

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's nicely explained, even though he didn't use hawkeye at all like the info suggests :p

Top_Cat

The other aspect of having a low-slung action is that you won't hit the seam consistently. Big swerve in the air won't be anywhere near as effective without the extra lift that hitting the seam gives you.

On hip driving and whatnot, bowling quick is a game of transferring the momentum of the run-up into speed down the deck. Anything which gets in the way of that transfer is generally a bad thing, very few bowlers can shuffle and go whang (all shoulders, back and chest) as Thommo did. The hips are a flexible joint which, if you bend and flex them at an inopportune moment in the delivery stride, will get in the way of that transfer of power. The result is, apart from a loss of speed, your body contorts to maintain balance whilst trying to let go of the ball and the results are, generally, limbs and the flexible parts of those going in less powerful, more awkward positions. You grip the ball too hard or your thumb shifts at the very last second and what was a perfectly upright seam when your arm was at 9 o'clock in delivery naturally adds a little wrist twist or thumb movement at the very last moment. Again, you lose speed, accuracy and movement.

This is why I always found it a bit pointless when coaches would say stuff like 'get your front arm up!' at training if I was bowling pus. The problems generally start way further back in the process. On the front arm thing, also a bit of a furphy. It's a good idea when you're a kid/teen and still learning the bowling action and growing into your body but later on, it's about maintaining a strong body posture in delivery. You see it in every international bowler; early on they're reaching for the sky but as they get older, the front arm gets lower yet they're picking up speed. They realise it's more about that strong core, the front arm becomes more about balance than power.

Boxing and Kung Fu are two martial arts which really know how to punch and they realise the power comes from a 'closed' position at the chest/shoulders and 'heavy elbow'. Your need for a wind-up is less because you're using more of the big, powerful muscles (chest) and less of the small, weak ones (shoulders). It's also a more relaxed position; shoulders extended and high = more tension = less power = more pain at the punch's impact. Plus, the chest is heavily muscular so you're manipulating a more uniform mass of stuff whereas the shoulders are a more complex array of tissues which have more moving parts to coordinate, muscles and tendons move in different ways at different rates, etc.

Eventually you learn in both styles to keep shoulders low and relaxed and the consequence is (far) less effort required to punch, exponentially greater power and less impact pain. Same logic applies to bowling a cricket ball; keep your chest in and tight, stop your limbs from flying everywhere and it'll hurt less to let go of the ball and just, in general, bowl. It'll take less effort and you'll bowl yards quicker and, as your body is in a stronger position, the run-on benefits are better release positions so you'll get more seam, accuracy, etc. Honestly, it's a shocking revelation when it happens.

Last edited:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I thought I would post this here since I didn't want to create a thread for it (thanks Daemon).

Roughly what pace do you think this guy is bowling at and what do you make of him?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Think he has an action that makes him appear quicker than he might be. Good to watch though.

Red

Ha. I've taken so many wickets I don't even bother celebrating anymore

Bushranger

School Boy/Girl Captain
Not sure if it's just me, but of late I've been noticing an increase in the amount of talk about the technical aspect of the game. Now sometimes I try and contribute to make me feel better about myself as compared to the hordes of illiterate posters that dwell in the Youtube and Cricinfo comments section, but I'm only ~5 years into cricket and other than the most basic of basics, I'm nearly always talking out my arse or borrowing the opinions of others. I'm pretty sure a number of people must be doing this as well (eg a certain poster recently claimed Ojha is a one paced bowler), and I've seen posts in the past where people say "batsmen x was dropped because he had technical issues" without elaborating, because quite clearly they had no idea either.

So anyways, this is a thread for me to ask simple, basic questions so I can actually learn about the game. Hahahaha, here you were giving me **** about being another stupid Victorian but you've been playing and following cricket for 5 years OK. Been playing 30 years calling the kettle Black or what. Next time you say **** to me it better be something worthy. 5 years hahaha, my 6 year old has been playing 5 years in the back yard.

First up, ****s be saying that hilf's (iirc) action was very 'low' back in 1867 and since then he's corrected it. Because I didn't want to sound like a noob, I didn't ask and try to find out what that means and why it's a bad thing, but I'm pretty much clueless.

Another thing is driving your hips through, wrt to fast bowling. Can someone explain it to me? NFI what it means.

Sorry if this is all assumed knowledge to most of you guys but I never engaged in cricket talk of a technical nature before joining this forum, and when I did play cricket it was just the basics.
Hahahaha, here you were giving me **** about being another stupid Victorian but you've been playing and following cricket for 5 years OK. Been playing 30 years calling the kettle Black or what. Next time you say **** to me it better be something worthy. 5 years hahaha, my 6 year old has been playing 5 years in the back yard.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Hahahaha, here you were giving me **** about being another stupid Victorian but you've been playing and following cricket for 5 years OK. Been playing 30 years calling the kettle Black or what. Next time you say **** to me it better be something worthy. 5 years hahaha, my 6 year old has been playing 5 years in the back yard.
This is difficult for me to say, but I'd take Daemon's word over yours based on what I've seen so far from you tbh

Daemon

You're a parent?

fmd.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Bushranger, that's pathetic and has no place on this website. If I see anything similar again, you're copping more infraction points and a ban.

Red

Perhaps you could've used some of those 30 years to become accustomed with English grammar.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Another question (not really about technique): Why dew comes into picture in India more than rest of the world? And where was dew during the 2011 world cup? IIRC, it did not play a big role.