• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's Ranking of WicketKeeper-Batsmen (Tests)

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
I saw quite a lot of Engineer on two tours of England and he played for Lancashire at a time when they were very successful and on TV a lot due to their One-Day success. Kirmani I can barely remember seeing at all. He wasn't on the 79 tour of England and in those days we didn't see overseas cricket on TV at all. I would have seen Kirmani on the 82 tour, but that's all. If people who saw more of him say he was the best I wouldn't be able to dispute it.
There’s plenty of good footage of Kirmani in action during India’s tour to Australia in 1978.

And in the video below we see Bedi and Chandra taking the Australian batsman to the cleaners on the first morning of the SCG test with some help from Kirmani.

At about the 20 minute there is a neat catch off Chandra to get rid of Bob Simpson. No Chappell, Lillee or Marsh of course as they were playing Packer cricket.

Kirmani is the pick of the Indian keepers for me because of his very long faultless career standing-up to Chandra, Bedi and Prasanna. He was also great standing back to Kapil Dev.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Holy hell, Battling Watling deservedly coming in at #3 has somewhat renewed my faith in democracy.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I must admit to being surprised by Watling. I assumed Ames would be third followed by Tallon despite the modest batting because Bradman said so. :tooth:

gftw

U19 12th Man
Waite - 1
Ames - 8
JBMAC - 1
Healy - 2

The List
1. Adam Gilchrist
2. Alan Knott
3. BJ Watling
4. Les Ames

The vote for the #5 test wicketkeeper-batsmen of all-time begins now.