• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 50 Best ODI Cricketers of all time - The Countdown

Maximus0723

State Regular
He'll DEFINITELY be there. A better ODI batsman than Hussey (already ranked at 28). Add his wicketkeeping and captaincy and you'll get a top 15 material.
I am not too sure if he is better than Hussey in batting but as you mention his wicketkeeping and captaincy (especially of India's) should get him good amount of votes.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Lee at 30 makes no sense, IMO. He's top 15 material. Look at that Strike rate!!! Would easily have been Player of the 2003 WC were it not for Tendulkar.

smash84

The Tiger King
Again, what are your top 5 ODI all-rounders of AT?

Amount of ODI that Watson has played compares and exceeds with some of players that are listed in 25-50 (Crowe, Border, Holding, Marshall, Bond, Bracken, Fairbrother, Greenidge, Chappell) will be listed in top 25 (Hadlee, Abbas, Garner). He has played for 10 years now. As time ticks, he probably isn't going to change much.
My top 5 ODI all rounders are (not necessarily in this order) Shaun Pollock, Kapil Dev, Jacques Kallis, Klusener, and Imran Khan.

smash84

The Tiger King
Kallis a bit overrated in ODIs IMO. Not a top 25-er for mine.
He is a solid batsman. You have to give him that. He can always stem the flow of wickets from one end. Also his bowling is quite handy. More than 11000 ODI runs at an average of 45+ is quite good really.

Maximus0723

State Regular
My top 5 ODI all rounders are (not necessarily in this order) Shaun Pollock, Kapil Dev, Jacques Kallis, Klusener, and Imran Khan.

Watson beats both Kallis and Klusener in bat and bowl.
Matter of fact, he beats everyone in bat. He comprehensively beats Pollock, Dev and Khan in bat.
By notable margin, in bowl he looses to Pollock. But his numbers are similar and probably comparable to Dev and Khan but, Khan and Dev are still better at bowl.

smash84

The Tiger King
Matter of fact, he beats everyone in bat. He comprehensively beats Pollock, Dev and Khan in bat.
By notable margin, in bowl he looses to Pollock. But his numbers are similar and probably comparable to Dev and Khan but, Khan and Dev are still better at bowl.
how does he beat kallis in batting???? Kallis has an average of 45+ after 300+ ODIs and Watson still is under 42. How is Watson better at batting than kallis????

Jacques Kallis | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Shane Watson | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!

smash84

The Tiger King
You find him comparable in his bowling to Imran and Kapil just based on his bowling average and Klusener who is closer to him in bowling average you find it perfectly fine to discount him. Also Klusener has a batting average almost same as him. How is he better than Klusener????

Please stop going by just raw figures and start seeing his impact on the game as well. How did you find his average to be 46+ is beyond me. Shane Watson's ODI batting average is 41.6. Please take a look at their stats closely and then compare them. As far as impact on games is considered Watson lags behind quite a bit.

Lance Klusener | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Shane Watson | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

smash84

The Tiger King
Better strike rate. I think Kallis's ODI average flatters him a bit. It's more than Tendulkar's, I guess the 53 N.O.s in 293 innings helps a bit.
Yes but that is a big achievement considering that he comes in at number 3 and still has so many not outs. If anything that is a big plus.

His SR might be lower than a lot of batsmen but he can keep his wicket.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Pollock beats Kallis as an all rounder in ODI'S easily for me.

Kallis just plays one role for the team in ODI'S and as a result though he may even win Man of the Match awards based on his figures ,he does not win so many matches for the team or set them up in a commanding position enough.

smash84

The Tiger King
Pollock beats Kallis as an all rounder in ODI'S easily for me.

Kallis just plays one role for the team in ODI'S and as a result though he may even win Man of the Match awards based on his figures ,he does not win so many matches for the team or set them up in a commanding position enough.
But the question here is that is Kallis a better all rounder than Watson. Pollock is better than Kallis is a given if you consider bowling all rounders to be more valuable than batting allrounders.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Kallis a bit overrated in ODIs IMO. Not a top 25-er for mine.
Completely agree.

Though the way the FAPathon is currently going on about him, I could see him making the top 10.:-O

Which will be a even bigger surprise than Lara's position.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes but that is a big achievement considering that he comes in at number 3 and still has so many not outs. If anything that is a big plus.

His SR might be lower than a lot of batsmen but he can keep his wicket.
Perhaps. TBF to him, his ODI SR is improving all the time in recent years, but for the bulk of his career, he has not been an ODI batsman to fear at all.

Maximus0723

State Regular
You find him comparable in his bowling to Imran and Kapil just based on his bowling average and Klusener who is closer to him in bowling average you find it perfectly fine to discount him. Also Klusener has a batting average almost same as him. How is he better than Klusener????
uh, look at the not outs. Also, Watson is opener, Klusener isn't.
Please stop going by just raw figures and start seeing his impact on the game as well. How did you find his average to be 46+ is beyond me.
Looking at stats closely? Hmm, well, go down this page at the bottom and look at his number at 1st and 2nd position.
As far as impact on games is considered Watson lags behind quite a bit.
Watson - 118 ODI - 11 MoM
Kapil Dev - 238 ODI - 11 MoM
I Khan - 174 ODI - 13 MoM
Klusener - 171 ODI - 19 MoM

He doesn't lag behind quite a bit.

Last edited: