• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 50 Best ODI Cricketers of all time - The Countdown (2017 Version)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
One of the things that I initially suggested was that everyone has the opportunity to pick a top 50 as I thought it would mean some of the cricketers who people generally think are 30-50th best would keep getting a few points and that would help them more then the 'all or nothing' players. I know it gets pretty difficult though - hard to find a perfect solution.
One option could be to get votes top 25 ranked and 26-50 unranked. Everyone in latter set gets 1 point and those in former set get points 2 to 26. Might be easier for people to enter unranked list of 26-50. IIRC that's what they did in the ESPN legends of cricket voting.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I just realized that in both iterations of cw top 25 ODI rankings, Kapil Dev has left behind all his contemporary great all rounders. No small recognition this.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I just realized that in both iterations of cw top 25 ODI rankings, Kapil Dev has left behind all his contemporary great all rounders. No small recognition this.
In ODIs, Hadlee and Botham barely cut it as all rounders, being more of bowlers who can bat. Imran and Kapil are the only real competitors and people end up picking Kapil's flair in batting over Imran's solidity. Personally I think they are about even with Imran a shade ahead.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In ODIs, Hadlee and Botham barely cut it as all rounders, being more of bowlers who can bat. Imran and Kapil are the only real competitors and people end up picking Kapil's flair in batting over Imran's solidity. Personally I think they are about even with Imran a shade ahead.
Kapil being crucial in the 83 WC win also strengthens his case. Imran didn't contribute as much in 92 until the final where he scored those all important 72 runs.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Kapil was just naturally suited to this format of the game more. Botham possibly for tests? Imran and Hadlee were equally good at both I feel but Hadlee was a bowler who could bat and Imran never really merged his awesome periods with the ball with being awesome with the bat, did he?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You can say that about a lot of stroke players. But test match fields actually help such players much more than the ODI ones. Lara, Sehwag etc all examples I feel of this phenomena.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Kapil Dev's ODI record isn't spectacularly better than Botham's. Played twice as many matches and I can't claim to remember how often each was a match winner but the records are fairly similar.

Kirkut

International Regular
My best experience of watching cricket came from 1990s Sharjah ODI tournaments, even more than world cups and high profile test series, and that's when Jayasuriya made 189 which is why that knock is so memorable to me.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Updated XIs. First 3 XIs still lack a wicketkeeper. Also, I just chose a captain on my own. If you think there is a better captain within the team, propose and I will change it.

4th XI: 1. Chris Gayle 2. Gordon Greenidge 3. Kumar Sangakkara+ (c) 4. Javed Miandad 5. Aravinda de Sliva 6. Jonty Rhodes 7. Ian Harvey 8. Brett Lee 9. Dennis Lillee 10. Shane Bond 11. Andy Roberts 12th man Greg Chappell

3rd XI: 1. Saeed Anwar 2. Hashim Amla 3. Zaheer Abbas 4. Mark Waugh 5. Andrew Symonds 6. Shane Watson 7. Imran Khan (c) 8. [wicketkeeper] 9. Malcolm Marshall 10. Michael Holding 11. Nathan Bracken 12th man Jacques Kallis

2nd XI: 1. Sanath Jayasuriya 2. [wicketkeeper] 3.Dean Jones (c) 4. Brian Lara 5. Mike Hussey 6. Andrew Flintoff 7. Richard Hadlee 8. Shane Warne 9.Mitchell Starc 10. Waqar Younis 11. Allan Donald 12th man: Saqlain Mushtaq

1st XI: 7.Lance Klusenar 8. Kapil Dev 9. Shaun Pollock 11. Curtly Ambrose

Last edited: