• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 50 Best ODI Cricketers of all time - The Countdown (2017 Version)

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Anyone else here noticed a curious lack of Englishmen?
They legitimately dont have many greats. KP probably. Root will be. Filntoff maybe. Fairbrother and Lamb were good for their era. Trescothick was pretty good. But in all they have few ODI greats.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Omg I forgot about Flintoff. Would've definitely made my top 50 but not 25. Hope he gets in.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's not that surprising really. They just haven't produced that many really great ODI players.
I'd ask why but I think we can generally work that one out for ourselves.

It just piqued my interest because the article that was part of the reason for doing this again was about only one Englishman being picked in the top fifty. From the way things are going there's a possible chance there'll be nought picked this time around.

I did vote for Lamb, although I didn't put him very high. I nom'd Tresco but he didn't make it in.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
4th XI: 1. Chris Gayle 2. Gordon Greenidge 3. Kumar Sangakkara+ 4. Javed Miandad 5. Aravinda de Sliva 6. Jonty Rhodes 7. Ian Harvey 8. Brett Lee 9. Dennis Lillee 10. Shane Bond 11. Andy Roberts 12th man Greg Chappell

3rd XI: 1. Saeed Anwar 2. Hashim Amla 3. Zaheer Abbas 4. Mark Waugh 5. Andrew Symonds 6. Shane Watson 7. Imran Khan 8. [wicketkeeper] 9. Malcolm Marshall 10. Michael Holding 11. Nathan Bracken 12th man Jacques Kallis

2nd XI: 11. Allan Donald

3rd XI gets a better bowling line-up now with the inclusion of Imran Khan. With my love for allrounders, I love the 3rd XI. 3 good allrounders in Symonds, Watson and Imran while Mark Waugh and Marshall can hold a ball and a bat respectively. Good hitters in Anwar, Abbas, Symonds and Watson. And Kallis can come in to replace anyone in that line-up and the balance won't be hampered too much. Both the teams lack a good spinner apart from the part-timers, so over-rate can be an issue.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd ask why but I think we can generally work that one out for ourselves.

It just piqued my interest because the article that was part of the reason for doing this again was about only one Englishman being picked in the top fifty. From the way things are going there's a possible chance there'll be nought picked this time around.

I did vote for Lamb, although I didn't put him very high. I nom'd Tresco but he didn't make it in.
In ten years' time, Buttler, Stokes and Hales can all make the top 50 with Root and Roy outside chances.

Burgey

Furball's been campaigning hard for Flintoff as the ODI GOAT Allrounder tho, so he probably breaks through this time.
What a joke. Shane Watson is a better ODI all rounder than Flintoff. So is Simon O'Donnell ffs, Collis King, Eldine Baptiste, Azhar Mahmood, Abdul Razzaq to name but a few. FMD even Shakib Al Hasan is better than him. Viv Richards as an all rounder is better than him, so too Mark Waugh and Steve Waugh, not to mention the great Kapil Dev and the likes of Ken Macleay. The only thing as over rated as Flintoff the one day cricketer is the same bloke's test match bowling. Bowled three good spells in a decade, otherwise he looked good but took sfa wickets.

Edit: that's not even including atg ODI all rounders like Jayasuriya. Honestly, this Flintoff = ODI great rubbish must end. Sure he's a contender in an England all time ODI side, but you're taking samples from the very shallow end of the pond.

Come at me, Corrin.

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
You can say that about any newbie international ODI player who's had a decent start.
Yes I agree. I am just saying that no England players in top 50 might not remain later as all the above have potential which was not the case before except Tresco and Freddie and to an extent Thorpe and Fairbrother.

cnerd123

likes this
3394 runs @ 32.01 (SR 89) and 169 wickets @ 24.38 (Econ 4.39) across 141 ODIs. 3 centuries and 18 fifties. 2 five-fers and 6 four-fers. Also 47 catches.

Freddy was pretty good.

Burgey

3394 runs @ 32.01 (SR 89) and 169 wickets @ 24.38 (Econ 4.39) across 141 ODIs. 3 centuries and 18 fifties. 2 five-fers and 6 four-fers. Also 47 catches.

Freddy was pretty good.
He's not an atg ffs, let alone the greatest ODI all rounder of all time. The only decent side he performed outstandingly against was SA. Otherwise he dined out on Bangladesh and Ireland with the bat and on those two sides plus Pakistan with the ball.

Genuinely cannot recall him doing a single thing of note in the format, unless you're counting that vital 106 against NZ at Bristol in 2004, a crucial match which we all watched breathlessly. He made three tons, all within a three month period. The bloke isn't an atg, he had one good summer in ODIs. That's it.

He had great presence and swagger, and he seems a top bloke tbh. But he doesn't belong in this company on any objective level. I can understand a lot of us are scratching around the chook pen looking for something to throw England's wayin this thread, but come on. Flintoff? Let's get fair dinkum. Bloke doesn't belong here.