• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Test Rankings - Updated Jan 2012

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Has anyone ever thought about doing CW Player ratings, like the PwC ratings?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Dasa said:
Has anyone ever thought about doing CW Player ratings, like the PwC ratings?
Waaaay too much effort involved there, mate :)

Besides, the PwC are pretty damn accurate, so there's no burning desire for a competitor.

My biggest complaint about the other two ranking systems linked on this page is the narrow margin of the spread between top and bottom - both seem to have the sides far too closely squashed and don't signify just how good and bad Australia and Bangladesh are.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Waaaay too much effort involved there, mate :)

Besides, the PwC are pretty damn accurate, so there's no burning desire for a competitor.
Yeah fair enough. It's quite a bit more effort to have to keep track of all those players. Great work on these rankingss by the way.

twctopcat

International Regular
Due to the large gap between the australians i would be right in thinking that if ( and this is a large if - large like the universe), england were to beat the south africans and the aussies, therefore being the best test team in the world, the stats would not show this right?? Ahh how i like to dream....

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
twctopcat said:
Due to the large gap between the australians i would be right in thinking that if ( and this is a large if - large like the universe), england were to beat the south africans and the aussies, therefore being the best test team in the world, the stats would not show this right?? Ahh how i like to dream....
You would be correct. But just think of the amount they'd moan!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Release 20 - Australia v New Zealand and India v South Africa

Home Rankings
1 Australia 1259
2 South Africa 1164
3 (+1) India 1026
4 (-1) England 1013
5 New Zealand 810
6 Sri Lanka 783
7 West Indies 734
8 Pakistan 624
9 Zimbabwe 344
10 Bangladesh 28

Away Rankings
1 Australia 2144
2 England 1011
3 Pakistan 987
4 (+1) India 955
5 (-1) New Zealand 781
6 South Africa 762
7 Sri Lanka 666
8 West Indies 205
9 Zimbabwe 187
10 Bangladesh 116

Overall Rankings
1 Australia 1646 (+48)
2 (+1) England 1012 (-13)
3 (+1) India 991 (+86)
4 (-2) South Africa 963 (-96)
5 (+1) Pakistan 805 (-10)
6 (-1) New Zealand 796 (-92)
7 Sri Lanka 728 (-7)
8 West Indies 470 (-7)
9 Zimbabwe 261 (-5)
10 Bangladesh 75 (n/c)

Comment
Two important series have completed in terms of the CricketWeb Test Rankings. Australia's comfortable whitewash of their neighbours from across the Tasman sees them rise to their highest ranking ever, and the New Zealanders, now struggling to win a Test under John Bracewell, outside the top six.

South Africa's decline from number two is ever more apparent. Their last visit to India resulted in a sensational whitewash of their hosts, yet this time round the objective was survival only. The objective failed and they now slide below their Indian conquerors and their visitors next month, England. With India set to experience a "Bangladesh Bump" at the same time, a convincing performance from the Proteas could well see them return to second, whilst an England whitewash (dare I believe?) would boost England by around 100 points.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I still don't think RSA are good enough to be no.4 overall. But I guess their past performances are standing them in good stead now.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Deja moo said:
How did England lose points without playing at all ?
I didn't create the ratings, but I believe that every series affects the 2 teams that are playing home or away ratings, and every other teams ratings points earned is based on the opposition, so an increase in a team's away rating will increase a team that beat them at home.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Basically, England have good home results against NZ & South Africa. These two teams are now classed as worse than they were before so the results don't count as highly. On the other hand, we also got results in India and Aus, which is now more highly valued.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Basically, England have good home results against NZ & South Africa. These two teams are now classed as worse than they were before so the results don't count as highly. On the other hand, we also got results in India and Aus, which is now more highly valued.
What results did you get in Aus?

anzac

International Debutant
potentialy with the remianing series we could see a further widening of some of the gaps........

2-4 will remain close dependant upon the outcomes of RSA v ENG & then ENG v AUS, PAK could remain static as they lost to AUS last time around, but if NZL beat SRL & then loose to AUS the gap could widen from 4 - 7???????

chris.hinton

International Captain
My rankings would be

1) Australia
2) England
3) India
4) Sri Lanka
5) South Africa
6) New Zealand
7) Pakistan
8) West Indies
9) Zimbabwe