• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Draft League

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
awta.

No one is up there with Sobers, only Bradman and that is as a batsman alone. Warne is just in that level below, and for me followed by Marshall. Hobbs and Richards.
Imran is very close to Sobers in my opinion. In my ATG all time team I'd have both, Sobers as a batting AR and Imran as a bowling AR. Imran clearly the better bowler, and Sobers clearly the better bat.

Hobbs
Gavaskar
Bradman
Hammond
Sobers
Gilchrist
Imran
Warne
Marshall
Lillee
O'Reilly

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
The taboo draft's finished except for one selection and the quick ATG test draft is almost over too, so all good to continue.

R1
kingkallis- Garfield Sobers
Himannv- Imran Khan
Marcuss- Adam Gilchrist
Cabinet96- Keith Miller
Eds- Malcolm Marshall
Cevno-
Blakus-
MrPrez-
watson-
Jager-
AndyZaltzHair-
kyear2-

R2
kyear2-
AndyZaltzHair-
Jager-
watson-
MrPrez-
Blakus-
Cevno-
Eds-
Cabinet96-
Marcuss-
Himannv-
kingkallis-

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Impressed that you noticed the points format Nuf, as a huge F1 fan myself, it's what I based it on.

I was wondering the same thing myself, whether people will choose players entirely to win votes. I'll definitely change things around with the formats we run, but I was thinking that we return every three or four rounds to the classic format just to keep it grounded.

Do you want a slot in the reserves, Nuf?
Yeah I used to play F1 heaps on PS1 when the point scoring was using that formula. Its a better system compared to the current one with points for the top 10, I guess it rewards reliability more this way and gives the weaker teams more of an opportunity, but I digress.

Mate, I'll give it a miss (slot in the reserves). I enjoy the end product of the drafts, but hate the waiting between picks. I will check in though a bit and vote on the best teams and give my 2 cents.

BTW re: Bradman, why don't you make him as a bit of a wildcard or something? So everyone has the opportunity to select The Don but if they do it means that their next pick is skipped and they automatically get the last pick of the game or something along those lines. It makes it interesting this way - I doubt everyone will sacrifice a round 2 pick just to get Bradman in round 1..

Also if I was creating a draft - I would exclude every single cricketer named in a prior draft.

Jager

International Debutant
Four hours have passed since I declared the draft open again, so Marcuss has eight hours to make his pick.

Eds

International Debutant
Only fair I take the greatest bowler to have ever lived, with the first bowler pick.

9. Malcolm Marshall

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Was stuck between Marshall and Miller for my first pick. Decided that Miller would be the more beneficial for the balance of the side though.

watson

Banned
Imran is very close to Sobers in my opinion. In my ATG all time team I'd have both, Sobers as a batting AR and Imran as a bowling AR. Imran clearly the better bowler, and Sobers clearly the better bat.

Hobbs
Gavaskar
Bradman
Hammond
Sobers
Gilchrist
Imran
Warne
Marshall
Lillee
O'Reilly
I've been going through Imran's stats and I'm struggling to find a Test Match where he succeeded with BOTH bat and ball. For example, a total of a 100 runs and several wickets over 5 days. I'm not saying he didn't, but rather I just can't find an example.

Allrounders should score plenty of runs and take plenty of wickets in the same game to be classified as 'Great' in my opinion. Like Sobers, Botham, Kapil Dev, Miller....

Last edited:

Red

I've been going through Imran's stats and I'm struggling to find a Test Match where he succeeded with BOTH bat and ball. For example, a total of a 100 runs and several wickets over 5 days. I'm not saying he didn't, but rather I just can't find an example.

Allrounders should score plenty of runs and take plenty of wickets in the same game to be classified as 'Great' in my opinion. Like Sobers, Botham, Kapil Dev, Miller....
I can't remember the exact time period, but if you isolate the period of Imran's career between 1981-92-ish, his batting average is 50 and his bowling average is 19 (and that's over 55 tests). That's unbelievable I reckon.

All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
That too and sometimes the impact he had on opposition and the team itself; just a mere presence of Imran could have been a great lift

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I can't remember the exact time period, but if you isolate the period of Imran's career between 1981-92-ish, his batting average is 50 and his bowling average is 19 (and that's over 55 tests). That's unbelievable I reckon.
Indeed it is, but even in that period it can be split between batting well and not bowling or bowling well and not batting.

All time great bowler who could bat 8, yes, but all rounder, no.

watson

Banned
Indeed it is, but even in that period it can be split between batting well and not bowling or bowling well and not batting.

I would tend to agree. Sensational to have at No.7 or 8 depending on the batting ability of the keeper and what the tail is like.

Last edited:

Red

That's true, and it's nice to have a guy averaging nearly 40 with the bat at number 7 or 8 in an all time team who is also a strike bowler (avg. 22). He is an all-rounder, a bowling all-rounder. An average of 38 definitely gives him the title. In the ATG team you select him as a bowling all-rounder, as one of your three pace men.

It's similar to Sobers, who was a batting all-rounder. Sobers bowling average of 34 and SR of 92 would never get him a game as a bowler, but it's primarily as a batsman he gets selected. So he's a batting AR.

And I'd nearly always have both, along with Gilchrist, providing three highly skilled all-rounders in an ATG team.

watson

Banned
I guess it comes down to sematics.

But whatever the definition I'd love to have Imran batting in my side if possible.

Red

I've always thought the truly elite TRUE all rounders were the ones with a 30 plus batting average and a sub 30 bowling average.