• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Charity Series (End of Season 9)

Blaze

Banned
Lol I am honoured to have batted with Neil throughout his first century and to get my madien ton as well was quite nice after being out for 96 in a first class match earlier in the year.

Also to follow it up with a 70 odd was nice after a frustrating season personally with blue.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah kears it was thoroughly enjoyable, and look, haha, I don't blame you for putting yourself up the order and bowling heaps, who wouldn't? :D

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
OD Batting XI

R Malone
I Markus
A Chaulk (wk)
S Fuller
D Towns
A Cloete
R Dauth
M De Silva
J Stedman
A Crampton
A Garven

12th: A Blackman

Crampton and Garven to take the new ball, Stedman and De Silva to follow, followed by everyone else except Chalk who is keeping in this one

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Would've thought Fuller would take the new ball... (assuming you're trying to win it)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
It looks like the comments on the fact that players who are batting further down the order, aren't getting enough of a go in these charity matches may have influenced the selection of the first 4 bowlers.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:
It looks like the comments on the fact that players who are batting further down the order, aren't getting enough of a go in these charity matches may have influenced the selection of the first 4 bowlers.
Probably, but I just assumed that since the batting/bowling XI matches are one-offs, the strongest team would be picked.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The way I see it, yes it is charity, but a one-sided affair is no good for an expectant crowd, so you do go in with some sort of intent to win whilst you entertain.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
so you do go in with some sort of intent to win whilst you entertain.
Well then, everyone could just play their hardest, while naked. Now thats entertaining.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Bowling XI
LA Camps (vc)
NR Hancock
BC Cunningham
MW Wilson
TC Halsey
TV Weber
AAA Collins
CD McKern
DJ Comley
NS Hoy
NS Pickup (c)

Batting v Bowling isn't taken lightly. Hoy, Camps, Wilson, Pickup, Halsey - McKerm, Hancock

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting to see the large number of all rounders in the bowling XI, i wonder if it would make much a difference. Also seems a bit strange that Thompson didn't make either side.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Batting XI vs Bowling XI
at the CW Oval
Conditions: Sunny and dry
Pitch: Some seam movement, good pace for batsmen.

Mike Wilson found the top edge of Alex Crampton's bat, as McKern ran in from deep midwicket to take a fantastic diving catch, and the Bowling XI sealed a close victory over the Batting XI.

In a nailbiting finish, Camps was smashed for 14 runs off his final over - the 47th - reducing the equation for the batsmen to just 6 off 12 balls. Wilson just needed one ball though, and a short ball rushed on to Crampton, who couldn't control his pull shot.

The game was tense throughout, with both teams seemingly well-matched. Andrew Garven won the toss and expectedly chose to bowl first. He received a surprisingly accurate spell from new-ball operator, Crampton, the Sean Fuller and Ian Markus shared 5 wickets to limit the bowlers.

Camps, Hancock and Halsey got scores, but the middle and lower order didn't fire, as the Bowling XI was made to settle for 232/9.

The bowlers hit back quickly though, as Camps bowled Malone through the gate. Markus and Chaulk were not deterred, and batted nicely to 81/1. It was then that spin turned the game entirely. Halsey got Chaulk lofting to cover, and beat Sean Fuller's forward prod a ball later, with a beautiful slider that Cunningham gathered well enough for a super stumping.

Neil Pickup then bowled Markus, as he swung over a long hop that kept low, and suddenly the score read 81/4. Towns and Cloete staged a second recovery, but the former was bowled by Pickup's googly at 122/5.

At 194/8, the game was nicely poised. Crampton and DeSilva, both Blue players, attempted to refocus the effort at chasing the required 5.6 per over. The situation was primed for Nathan Hoy to make his first serious impact on the game, yorking DeSilva with a 95mph delivery - 201/9.

Captain Andrew Garven joined Crampton and the two ran well between the wickets, pushing ones to twos clinically, then batted Camps about in the 47th over. The momentum swung dramatically the way of the Batting XI, and all indications were that they would slip home.

A bit of extra pace and bounce and a great catch, and everything changed.

Bowling XI 232/9 (50 overs)
Batting XI 227 (48.1 overs)

Bowling XI won by 5 runs

Attachments