• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Current top 4 test spinners

Current top 4 test spinners

• Total voters

Singh767

School Boy/Girl Captain
So however you want to determine "overall" who are your top 4 overall current Test Spinners? Then depending on the results we can do a vote on the best current test spinner.
Im sure I can predict the top 2 however number 3 and 4 will be interesting...

Poll in no particular order.

Last edited:

Singh767

School Boy/Girl Captain
I forgot to include Mehedi Hasan, so if you want to vote for him please state in the comments. Unless a Mod can add him to the poll?? It does not let me edit the poll.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Ashwin
jadeja
Lyon
Yasir.

Rashid has not played enough. Akhila Dhananjaya is abnned otherwise easily had the potential to make top 4.

cnerd123

likes this
I think Keshav is better in a wider range of conditions than Ashwin at this point in their careers.

Lyon's obviously the best, probably Yasir 2nd and Jadeja 3rd but can swap those two around.

cnerd123

likes this
I forgot to state I discount Shakib because he's banned

Most spinners going around today lack consistency. It's why I rather Maharaj and Jadeja higher - they have been more reliable, even if their skillsets seem limited.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ended up going for Lyon, Ashwin, Jadeja and Shakib.

Lyon I think is clearly #1 as things stand. The main thing that holds him back is his weird career where he struggled a lot in Asia, but I think he's improved a lot since his worst series a few years back. His record over the last 3 or so years has been all-round very good bar a poor series in South Africa where things went south for basically the whole team quickly.

Ashwin is dynamite in spinning conditions and serviceable away from them. Similar thing applies towards Jadeja. Both him and Jadeja admittedly have very loaded records towards home dominance, but at least they do clean up at home, and they can at least keep it tight away from it. Ashwin has probably underperformed outside of "spinning conditions" (India/SL/WI) but at least he's not quite Yasir bad. So they go second and third for me. I'd probably plump for Ashwin if I had to choose as he looks a more dominant spinner, but if I was actually picking a side I'd go Jadeja first because of his batting.

Fourth spot was tight. I think Maharaj has been worked out a bit with the ball and he seems a bit of a pre-2017 Lyon in that he seems to play a supporting role well when South Africa are winning but struggles hard when they're not. Shakib's a victim of Bangladesh's lack of big Test series - his record is fine but as a pure bowler he seems a bit untested away from Bangladesh and too many of his recent wickets have seemed to come against weak opposition. Yasir is brilliant in the UAE but struggles hard away from home and his off days are really really awful. Rashid just hasn't played enough and the one time he actually played Tests against top-tier opposition he got smashed. Meanwhile Moeen can be excellent on his day but IMO has a big portion of his threatening deliveries turn into wickets (which to me suggests he's somewhat lucky to get the stats he has) and seems to lose confidence far too easily to be relied upon. I went for Shakib but it's a tough choice with all of the other Test standard spinners having serious flaws.

cnerd123

likes this
I think Ashwin over Yasir is a fair selection, I'm just irrationality mad at him for constantly underperforming lol

vcs

Yasir averages 30+ while Ashwin for all his decline is still around 26 (haven't checked the latest). He's also a guy who picks up the vast majority of his wickets at home like Ashwin, and if you think Ashwin goes badly away from home, Yasir gets absolutely pummelled.

trundler

Yasir is like 80s SL level bad away from home. Basically no silver lining except his record in WI, where Ashwin is better anyway. The guy with the most potential away from home is Maharaj. He gets respectable turn on most surfaces. Has been inconsistent of late but still has the most potential imo. Jaddu and Ashwin are obviously gun at home but the fact that neither goes a full series away without getting dropped is telling. Lyon is the best of an underwhelming bunch I guess.

vcs

TBH his impact has been minimal apart from WI. I dunno with Ashwin, he bowled as well as any spinner I've ever seen in that golden period in 2015-16. Was by far the biggest factor in our getting to No. 1. I think the reason people judge him more harshly (including me) is maybe because they thought he had a chance of finishing as an ATG.

EDIT : replying to HB there

Last edited: