• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Current top 4 test spinners

Current top 4 test spinners

• Total voters

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yasir is like 80s SL level bad away from home. Basically no silver lining except his record in WI, where Ashwin is better anyway. The guy with the most potential away from home is Maharaj. He gets respectable turn on most surfaces. Has been inconsistent of late but still has the most potential imo. Jaddu and Ashwin are obviously gun at home but the fact that neither goes a full series away without getting dropped is telling. Lyon is the best of an underwhelming bunch I guess.

TBF, the reason Ash and Jaddu can never get a ful series away from home is basically each other. And why I keep saying that unless its a rank seamer, we should try playing both with Ishant, Bumrah and Shami as the seamers.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don’t think that’s quite right. That would mean excluding just his first 3 away Tests and his career away average is 31.

I didn't really do the math or anything. It was posted by crapinfo on Insta, I think. Can check it up when my work lets up today. But it's very possible coz he and Jaddu have usually split up the away tests in that period. So he would have much lesser number of away tests had it been in an era without Jaddu.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The reason they get dropped is that they do badly though. I suppose you're right but it ends up protecting their stats in a weird way.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yasir averages 30+ while Ashwin for all his decline is still around 26 (haven't checked the latest). He's also a guy who picks up the vast majority of his wickets at home like Ashwin, and if you think Ashwin goes badly away from home, Yasir gets absolutely pummelled.
Ash also averages 26 or something since 2013 away from home.
Thing is, Ashwin's away stats include playing in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and the West Indies. I don't think anyone was questioning his utility in those conditions, it's Aus/SA/Eng/NZ where he struggles.

The guys posting above about Ashwin/Jadeja being left out in un-spin-friendly conditions is also a very pertinent one. Ashwin has only played 28 Tests outside India, out of a career of 71 games. Jadeja has only played 16 games outside of India out of a career of 49 games. It's undeniable that this has boosted their stats significantly.

compare that to Yasir Shah who has played more games away than at "home"

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Recently qualified ex Saffa Chinaman Michael Rippon is also better than Santner as is Rachin Ravinda ( despite 1st class bowling av of 122!) who has a lovely SLA action.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Why is Santner in the poll? He wouldn't even be in the top 4 in NZ.
Santner is bit of an enigma. When he gets it right, with the quick pace, he is unplayable. He is ideal on wickets that break up with up and down bounce die to the quick pace he bowls. However he needs to find a way to bowl when the wicket is true.