• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Current NZL batting potential

Xuhaib

International Coach
From the looks of it they can be a seriously good batting line-up, there best ever for the past 2 decade. Did not see the famous 80's NZ team but potential wise from what I have seen I feel Guptil, Ryder, Taylor > Fleming, Astle, McMillan.

Add Mccullam, Vettori, Franklin, Oram and Elliot it would have depth with quality. Sure they might lack the inspiration of Chris Cairns and the pace of Shane Bond but overall this is one quality unit developing.

Woodster

International Captain
From the looks of it they can be a seriously good batting line-up, there best ever for the past 2 decade. Did not see the famous 80's NZ team but potential wise from what I have seen I feel Guptil, Ryder, Taylor > Fleming, Astle, McMillan.

Add Mccullam, Vettori, Franklin, Oram and Elliot it would have depth with quality. Sure they might lack the inspiration of Chris Cairns and the pace of Shane Bond but overall this is one quality unit developing.
Are you referring to Tests or ODI's or in general ? Because I think you can throw the compact efficiency of Daniel Flynn in there too, in terms of 5-day cricket.

I agree that the batting potential for NZ looks good. Despite his terrible recent run of form, I'm still a fan of Jamie How, and I hope he can return to something like his best, on a more consistent basis.

Polo23

International Debutant
The good thing is the selectors have identified the players who have the talent to one day be international class, even if their records don't suggest that yet (Flynn, Guptill, even Taylor). Instead of picking guys who have performed very well at domestic level, but don't have the technique or talent to be good international players (Bell, Cumming, Marshall).

Hugely talented lineup at the moment, the only thing that is lacking is experience. Once they have all played 20 tests of so I think NZ will reap the rewards.

Flem274*

123/5
The difference btween now and before is the quality of openers and importantly, the quality and quantity of the openers coming through. We've always been stacked with middle order players, but squandered it by having to open up with Michael Papps, etc.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watched bits and pieces of Aus-NZL test and dude your top-order is useless. Ryder is overrated, he is fat and dosen't move his feet much and would struggle to make big scores. I did like Flynn but he seems limited the only world class talent you have is R.Taylor but despite having him you will continue to suffer against top quality bowling
:ph34r:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Well we will see, obviously the ceiling for batsmen in test cricket has been raised recently and even averaging 40 is not necessarily good enough, Ryder has played a handful of tests, Guptil none and Taylor averages 32. I'd hesitate before i delcare them better than Astle, Fleming but that's not to say they won't be in the future

Polo23

International Debutant
Well we will see, obviously the ceiling for batsmen in test cricket has been raised recently and even averaging 40 is not necessarily good enough, Ryder has played a handful of tests, Guptil none and Taylor averages 32. I'd hesitate before i delcare them better than Astle, Fleming but that's not to say they won't be in the future
He actually averages 34.

I think that was the point of this thread, hence the word 'potential'. He's saying if they live up to that potential, they will be very good players.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
From what we've seen in the ODI's, yes..this NZ batting lineup looks the goods as they're all very young but there's still a lot of hard work to be done in the tests.

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
1. Guptill
2. How
3. Flynn
4. Taylor
5. Ryder

Looks good, but potential is one thing and performance is another. Exiting times perhaps for the blackcaps top order.

Watling, Williamson, Anderson ect.. looking ahead aswell

Xuhaib

International Coach
Yeah I did mention potential wise ofcourse currently the 3 are still realitive unknown quantity.

Athlai

Not Terrible
In Tests:

Guptill
How/McIntosh/anyone
Flynn
Taylor
Ryder

In ODIs:

Ryder
McCullum
Guptill
Taylor
Elliott

What I'm most excited about is the prospect of these guys actually getting into the top ten lists of current batsman. A luxury NZ fans don't often get.

Flem274*

123/5
As it currently stands, there's going to be a middle order logjam in a few years. Ryder, Taylor, Flynn, Williamson, Hay, Broom, Fulton, Myburgh, (thats just the top of my head) are guys I expect to tear up FC cricket, plus Sinclair will still be scoring double hundreds at 45 years of age.

Craig

World Traveller
I have been a bit disappionted in Taylor, can play so well and then find a way to play the most dire shot possible.

Polo23

International Debutant
I have been a bit disappionted in Taylor, can play so well and then find a way to play the most dire shot possible.
Once he stamps the ridiculous wild slog over cow (especially to the spinners) out of his game he will improve his consistency ten fold. I'd say currently (at least in OD cricket) he gets out to that shot 50% of the time.

I thought he had finally gotten rid of it in the Aussie series, but no, he brought it back for the Indians, i'm sure to their delight.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Once he stamps the ridiculous wild slog over cow (especially to the spinners) out of his game he will improve his consistency ten fold. I'd say currently (at least in OD cricket) he gets out to that shot 50% of the time.
You'd be wrong.
Jeez mate the only reason Ross has played that shot in this series is due to the fact that everytime he's come out he has been forced to slog as the RR was 8+.

Taylors mental attitude has changed greatly and when his opposition is tough and the chips are down he is a better player for it.

Polo23

International Debutant
You'd be wrong.
Jeez mate the only reason Ross has played that shot in this series is due to the fact that everytime he's come out he has been forced to slog as the RR was 8+.

Taylors mental attitude has changed greatly and when his opposition is tough and the chips are down he is a better player for it.
No one is ever forced to slog. Did Sehwag slog? No. Did Ryder slog? No. Did McCullum slog? No. Did Tendulkar slog? No.

Taylor does not need to play such a risky shot, which probably only comes off 50% of the time (the other 50% he loses his wicket). He can clear mid-on and mid-off easily, he has shown that, and going down the ground is far less risky for the same reward.

He is a better player against good opposition when the chips are down? Sorry bud, but his performances against India don't suggest that at all. The chips were down, and he had a brain explosion 2-3 times in the series.

Apart from that one shot, his game looks very good.