• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Current all-format XI

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Based on this discussion:

i know Root doesn't qualify for this discussion but why have they dropped him for t20? he's the best batsman in all 3 formats in the world imo!
Babar and Conway imo
Bairstow maybe? Crazy to think that Conway is in the convo for best 3 format bat in the world.
Forgot Bairstow and Rohit.

One of Babar, Conway, Bairstow, and Rohit.
Bairstow's resurgence in Tests was glorious but probably not long-standing enough to quite be in the conversation with the others IMO. We'll see how he goes in Tests on his comeback. Kohli is a shout too if he finally rediscovers his Test form after breaking the duck too, but obviously not yet after one knock.

I'd probably go with Babar at this stage.
This makes me want to create a current all-format World XI but it might be better for another thread.
Before anyone tries to nitpick about Bumrah, I'm still considering injured players as "current"

My crack at it:

1. Rohit
2. Conway
3. Babar
4. Root
5. Bairstow (probably has to keep due to lack of other options)
6. ... Stokes?
7. Jadeja
8. ... Rashid? Maharaj?
9. Boult
10. Hazlewood
11. Bumrah

Could easily sub Smith or Kohli in for Root. Would have definitely been Kohli before his prolonged Test slump.

It gets hard with players who bat in different positions in different formats. It also made me realise there are no spinners or keepers who are good in all three formats. Closest keeper to be good across the board would be QdK but he's retired from Tests and batted 7 in red ball and opened in white ball, making him a very square peg. Pant also a decent shout I guess but he's been dire in T20Is especially when batting lower down and only meh in ODIs as well.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Rahim sucks too much in T20s.

I had Shakib ahead of Stokes originally but thought he was probably too similar to Jadeja to really be worth adding in.
Could you take jos buttler as keeper? His test batting numbers aren't that attrocious, was england's 3rd best bat bar root and stokes when he played and is easily the best white ball bat in the world.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Could you take jos buttler as keeper? His test batting numbers aren't that attrocious, was england's 3rd best bat bar root and stokes when he played and is easily the best white ball bat in the world.
Yeah I don't hate this.

If we replace Stokes with him it does mean Root is the sixth bowler in T20s and ODIs though.

Shady Slim

International Coach

Before anyone tries to nitpick about Bumrah, I'm still considering injured players as "current"

My crack at it:

1. Rohit
2. Conway
3. Babar
4. Root
6. ... Stokes?
7. Jadeja
8. ... Rashid? Maharaj?
9. Boult
10. Hazlewood
11. Bumrah

Could easily sub Smith or Kohli in for Root. Would have definitely been Kohli before his prolonged Test slump.

It gets hard with players who bat in different positions in different formats. It also made me realise there are no spinners or keepers who are good in all three formats. Closest keeper to be good across the board would be QdK but he's retired from Tests and batted 7 in red ball and opened in white ball, making him a very square peg. Pant also a decent shout I guess but he's been dire in T20Is especially when batting lower down and only meh in ODIs as well.
starc in for haze imho, boult is a hard one because he isn't playing tests atm if im npt mistkane?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Isn't Rizwan a good three format player? Guess the problem is that he opens in T20 cricket but given Bairstow's a white ball opener anyway....

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
His ODI numbers are a bit ehh and he recently got dropped from the PAK test xi for a 35 YO sarfaraz.
Yeah, sucks in ODIs, dropped from Tests (unjustifiably, but still) and needs to bat top order in T20s to be useful. While Bairstow also bats top order in T20s I don't think it's obvious he'd be crap lower down.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, sucks in ODIs, dropped from Tests (unjustifiably, but still) and needs to bat top order in T20s to be useful. While Bairstow also bats top order in T20s I don't think it's obvious he'd be crap lower down.
Bairstow has made runs at 4 more recently which is the hardest T20 position to bat in tbf. He's an amazing all format player, doesn't get nearly enough credit.

halba

International 12th Man

My crack at it:

1. Rohit
2. Conway
3. Babar
4. Root
6. ... Stokes?
7. Jadeja
8. ... Rashid? Maharaj?
9. Boult
10. Hazlewood
11. Bumrah

Bumrah and Hazlewood mostly are off the park 90% of days. Shami and rabada/ Shaheen Afridi would be the replacements. I'd also have Shakib in there. I'd remove Boult, NZ have played tests and Boult is no longer a test player. Hes thus ineligible. Stokes is also injured as an all rounder
Rashid hasn't played enough tests due to lack of sides touring Afghanistan

Right now assuming across all formats, equal weight and all conditions

Bowling attack:
Shakib/Maharaj
Jadeja
Shami
Shaheen shah Afridi
Rabada.

Last edited:

Archer6K

U19 12th Man
1) Rohit Sharma
2) Devon Conway
3) Babar Azam
4) Virat Kohli
5) Cameron Green
6) Jonny Bairstow (WK)
7) Ravindra Jadeja/ Shakib Al Hasan
8) Mehidy Hasan Miraz/ Keshav Maharaj
9) Trent Boult
10) Josh Hazlewood
11) Jasprit Bumrah
I only picked players who play all three formats for their country

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
1) Rohit Sharma
2) Devon Conway
3) Babar Azam
4) Virat Kohli
5) Kyle Mayers
6) Jonny Bairstow (WK)
9) Trent Boult
10) Josh Hazlewood
11) Jasprit Bumrah
Great team.

Socerer 01

International Captain
1) Rohit Sharma
2) Devon Conway
3) Babar Azam
4) Virat Kohli
5) Kyle Mayers
6) Jonny Bairstow (WK)
9) Trent Boult
10) Josh Hazlewood
11) Jasprit Bumrah
other than the bolded one the team is good. maybe Smith instead of Kohli or Starc instead of Hazlewood but that's a personal preference