• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Crystal Ball Gazing

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ are definately getting a large number of South African players coming here. I hope we get a Kevin Pietersen!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Goughy said:
Not really, top grade cricket feeds into FC cricket better in Aus than SA so the fluidity allows a greater number of players.

There are a number of problems with the franchise system. One of which is that it is very difficult for young white players to break in.

Lets say you have 6 established older white players and then you must have 3-4 non-white players. This means there is little scope for young white players to get opportunities. The established players have their places and non-whites have to take a certain number of spots. What do they do? They either quit cricket, struggle on and fail, or move to England, NZ etc. Its a situation that will lead to the gradual decline of standards.

The franchise system means that a great number of players with potential may never get the opportunity to play and Im sure the scouting and selection is not good enough to ensure that a number of those excluded would not be of test standard ahem KP.

On a side note, have you seen that the ANC are looking at making Black Africans the only previously disadvantaged people with regards to sport. Asians and coloureds would have that status removed from them and will be fighting it out with the whites on merit. What does that mean? Well instead of 3-4 non-whites, each team would have to have that number of black africans.

PS Talking about ANC spokesmen and cricket. Not so long ago a spokesman came out and said that they did not consider Ntini to be classed as 'Black'. Why? He went to a good school and was not a township or village project. He stated that players like Ntini should not be counted towards targets as he went to a 'white' school and quotas should be used for 'real' africans from the villages and townships. Incredible!
Hooray for democracy!
I thought in our fantastic rainbow nation terms like "White Schools" didn't exist? I thought Ntini spent most of his childhood in the middle of the Transkei hearding sheep?
I really wouldn't listen to these "ANC spokespeople" though, as long as they don't make their way into the boards like they have done in Zimbabwe, their opinions really hold no water with anyone, not least guys like Ashwell Prince.. They just tag onto the gravy train spouting rubbish..

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Hooray for democracy!
I thought in our fantastic rainbow nation terms like "White Schools" didn't exist? I thought Ntini spent most of his childhood in the middle of the Transkei hearding sheep?
I really wouldn't listen to these "ANC spokespeople" though, as long as they don't make their way into the boards like they have done in Zimbabwe, their opinions really hold no water with anyone, not least guys like Ashwell Prince.. They just tag onto the gravy train spouting rubbish..
Yes he did, they just hate the fact that he went to Dale College in King William's Town and is therefore not 'black' enough for many of them.

I certainly dont listen to these guys but unfortunately a fair few do. I may laugh at their rhetoric but others take them seriously.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Isn't there like a SAA Provincial Challenge? i always thought that people who couldn't get into the first teams would play in that and clubs would feed directly into that?

And the ANC are nutters nowadays it's like listening to the BNP :laugh: