• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb ODI Rankings

Swervy

International Captain
zinzan12 said:
Depends how you define "not much ahead of the pack".

Perhaps you should have another look back at the ODI results in the last 12 months or so. I would have thought there was a significant difference.
results wise ok fine...NZ are a fair distance away...

but hand on heart can you honestly say to me that if NZ played one of those 'pack' teams say 10 times, you would be certain of winning more than say 6 of them

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Swervy said:
results wise ok fine...NZ are a fair distance away...

but hand on heart can you honestly say to me that if NZ played one of those 'pack' teams say 10 times, you would be certain of winning more than say 6 of them
Hand on heart in current form 7-8 times.

Explanation....

NZ games Vs those teams recently....

Vs Eng 3-0
Vs Pak 4-1
Vs S.A 5-1
Vs W.I 3-0

Thats actually better than 80%.....

Bazza

International 12th Man
I thought it was about time I got involved in this debate. :)

First of all thankyou all for taking an interest in the rankings! :D

The main difference between the cricketweb rankings and the ICC rankings is that the ICC considers games played over a period ranging from 2-3 years, for some reason revolving around August as a cut off point. The cricketweb rankings consider results from the most recent meetings between all teams at home, away and neutrally. In some cases, this can be as much as 4-5 years, but often fits within the same 2-3 year window. However what this does mean is that we don't just exclude certain matchups simply due to the way the itineraries are drawn up.

In the last 3 years, it is likely that several combinations of teams have played each other on at least two separate occasions, yet other combinations won't have played each other at all, and this makes the system unfair. For example, a side which has played Bangladesh and Zimbabwe more than it has played Australia would be buoyed by that and a team that has played Australia more than those two would be punished. Why should this be so?

That is why we chose to do the rankings the way we do.

Unfortunately I won't have access to the rankings database until the weekend but I am always happy and willing to answer any questions people have about the rankings, and certainly don't mind a bit of healthy discussion of them! :p

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
I have to say that is a lod of hogwash that the rankings give England more points than anyone else - it is a level formula for all.

And incidentally I believe the ICC ratings have England at 4.
ICC rankings, update today (Pakistan moved up for their win against Aus and England's loss to SAF):

1 Australia 137
2 New Zealand 120
3 Sri Lanka 117
4 Pakistan 109
5 England 106
6 West Indies 105
7 South Africa 104
8 India 98
9 Zimbabwe 51
10 Kenya 26
11 Bangladesh 11

Zinzan

Swervy said:
I think its fair enough having England at third...they have in the last few months beaten and tied with SA in SA (I know the series hasnt finished,but in my opinion England look the better team),beaten Australia,Sri lanka and completely outplayed India in a three match series.
England look better than S.A?? That comment proved a tad premature didn't it?

Swervy

International Captain
zinzan12 said:
England look better than S.A?? That comment proved a tad premature didn't it?
I dont think SA looked overwhelmingly better than England to be honest,despite the final scoreline,which is not too bad for England considering it was at the end of a tough tour with some players not 100% fit etc.

England, a year ago or so, would have been completely outclassed...they certainly werent this tourny.

I think 2 pretty even teams in reality..so yeah maybe I was a tad premature (!!!!)

Zinzan

Swervy said:
I dont think SA looked overwhelmingly better than England to be honest,despite the final scoreline,which is not too bad for England considering it was at the end of a tough tour with some players not 100% fit etc.

England, a year ago or so, would have been completely outclassed...they certainly werent this tourny.

I think 2 pretty even teams in reality..so yeah maybe I was a tad premature (!!!!)
Not Overwhelmingly better?? 4-1 ?? And the tied game where Africa did their usual crumbling under pressure...

I'd call 4-1 a Whipping !!!

The end of tour/injury excuse doesn't cut it i'm sorry. Everyteam has to deal with that. None more so than my beloved NZ who lost 3 even tests to England in England last year without 3 of its best bowlers. Unfortunately the results still count. Its almost down to the strenght of the squad these days as opposed to just the top 11.

Anyway, England are back to where I think they should be, around 7th place

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Out of interest, how much of the action did you actually watch?

To me, "overwhelmingly better" suggests a complete lack of doubt in the result of a match from a very early stage. Yes, SA were the better side, but could you honestly at the start of any of the matches confidently say that SA were hot favourites to win? There was only one thrashing in the series.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Out of interest, how much of the action did you actually watch?

To me, "overwhelmingly better" suggests a complete lack of doubt in the result of a match from a very early stage. Yes, SA were the better side, but could you honestly at the start of any of the matches confidently say that SA were hot favourites to win? There was only one thrashing in the series.
After SA won the match following the tie, Vaughan's shoulders drooped perceptibly. The difference between the two captains and their demeanour was stark.

Smithy must get a lot of credit for SA's win and England must look very closely at their leadership.

Bazza

International 12th Man
SJS said:
After SA won the match following the tie, Vaughan's shoulders drooped perceptibly. The difference between the two captains and their demeanour was stark.

Smithy must get a lot of credit for SA's win and England must look very closely at their leadership.
Anyone worth their salt wouldn't even consider questioning Vaughan's captaincy/leadership. He has helped make England one of the stronger teams in world cricket in both forms of th game, following on from Nasser's good work.

Zinzan, are they the three tests NZ lost by 7, 9 and 4 wickets?

As Neil pointed out 3 of the 4 defeats I think came in the last over. Englad probably deserved to lose the series but I think 4-1 flattered South Africa.

Anyway, will update the rankings tonight and we will see what effect all these games have had on the rankings.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I agree to some extent - but it wasn't just Vaughan. All the senior players' demeanours/body language wasn't great - it's no coincedence that the best performers in the ODI series (Pietersen, Gough, Kabir to an extent) were fresh.

Whilst it's not really excusable for a professional sportsman, I can sympathise with the feelings (personally, the tour was over after the Centurion Test).

Not taking anything away from SA, however - they won the series and fully deserved it.

Zinzan

Bazza said:
Zinzan, are they the three tests NZ lost by 7, 9 and 4 wickets?

You know as well as I do, those margins didn't exactly reflect that series, no doubt Eng were the better side (i thought Harmy was the big difference in that series) but NZ were right in every game til the last innings...So they were all pretty even going into 4th and 5th days. Is that not fair comment.

Swervy

International Captain
zinzan12 said:
You know as well as I do, those margins didn't exactly reflect that series, no doubt Eng were the better side (i thought Harmy was the big difference in that series) but NZ were right in every game til the last innings...So they were all pretty even going into 4th and 5th days. Is that not fair comment.

you are right of course...but it is for that very reason 4-1 to SA is in no way a true indication of the strengths of the two teams in the recent SA/Eng series

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
I agree to some extent - but it wasn't just Vaughan. All the senior players' demeanours/body language wasn't great - it's no coincedence that the best performers in the ODI series (Pietersen, Gough, Kabir to an extent) were fresh.

Whilst it's not really excusable for a professional sportsman, I can sympathise with the feelings (personally, the tour was over after the Centurion Test).

Not taking anything away from SA, however - they won the series and fully deserved it.
I think you are right about the freshers.

Even Flintoff brings life to this team. So does a relatively older player like Giles but overall there is a 'tiredness' about the side.

I cant say why I feel like that but its the overall impression that one gets.

Zinzan

Swervy said:
you are right of course...but it is for that very reason 4-1 to SA is in no way a true indication of the strengths of the two teams in the recent SA/Eng series
Would it have been so even if Pietersen had be playing for the right side?? He scored about half their runs in the series :D

Swervy

International Captain
zinzan12 said:
Would it have been so even if Pietersen had be playing for the right side?? He scored about half their runs in the series :D
as far as I can see he is playing for the right side :happy:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
SJS said:
I think you are right about the freshers.

Even Flintoff brings life to this team. So does a relatively older player like Giles but overall there is a 'tiredness' about the side.

I cant say why I feel like that but its the overall impression that one gets.
They're tired because thye've been out away from home for the best part of three months (don't forget the Zimbabwe and Namibia legs directly beforehand)!