• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb decides the second best batsman ever. 32 player bracket, Contest Thread!

Slifer

International Captain
Stark contrast between the Sachin/Hobbs camp and the Sobers/Viv. Reflects the contrasting ideologies at work here. Picking based on level of dominance asserted at their peak vs overall career acheivements
Which is which?

cnerd123

likes this
Which is which?
Sobers/Viv are those most fondly remembered for their sheer destructive powers as batsmen at their peak, while Hobbs/Sachin are those remembered for their incredibly long careers and list of achievements.

Albeit it's not a black and white thing - Sobers and Viv both had long, wonderful careers too, while Hobbs/Sachin both could dominate an attack on their day (Sachin of the early 90s in particular). But the contrast is there, and it shows in the general consistency of the voting - most people have opted for either Sobers/Viv or Sachin/Hobbs, only a few have mixed it up.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, the votes are too close. We might as well finish the contest stating that these 4 are equal second best batsmen.
These are clearly seen as the top 5 (including the Don) with Lara and Hutton right behind and completing what I would deduce to be a clear top tier, with a sub division looking something like.

Bradman

Sobers
Richards
Tendulkar
Hobbs

Lara
Hutton

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Yea, was just thinking Grace should be in that conversation, but when Test cricket is the primary criteria, it's difficult to include him.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
These are clearly seen as the top 5 (including the Don) with Lara and Hutton right behind and completing what I would deduce to be a clear top tier, with a sub division looking something like.

Bradman

Sobers
Richards
Tendulkar
Hobbs

Lara
Hutton

I don't think so at all. I am sure a number would have voted differently had it been Hobbs Vs Lara and Sachin Vs Hutton tbh... I am pretty sure setting up randomized matchups is a better bet in such a scenario because to me, Sachin Vs Lara meant one of the close contenders is already knocked out two rounds earlier. I mean, it would be ridiculous to have to agree on seedings to determine who is next best rank, coz its basically the same argument all over again.

nick-o

State 12th Man
Sobers
Hobbs

I think WG is the only batsman in history who can challenge Bradman for the No. 1 slot. For these four, every argument I can find in favor of Sachin is trumped by Hobbs, and Sobers can trump most of the arguments I can come up with for Sir Viv. Sobers v Sachin is harder, depending on weighting of different ideas, but I think Sobers shades it.