• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb decides the greatest bowler ever in a 64 player bracket. Contest thread.

indiaholic

International Captain
Not to be the ass in the room, but how did we not see that kind of thing happening.

It's exactly what I said would happen.
This is not a ranking exercise and if you have seeds it will just give the illusion of a ranking exercise. I rather enjoyed this. Made you think hard at every level as opposed to the autopilot mode in the batsman rankings.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not to be the ass in the room, but how did we not see that kind of thing happening.

It's exactly what I said would happen.
How does it even matter. We already had Marshall vs McGrath. It's all over. This is only about the greatest ever, not a top 10.

mr_mister

personally I would have liked to see how far people like Holding and Akram would have gotten if it had been seeded but youre right we'll still find out the winner

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

watson

Banned
yeah Verity has overachieved due to the randomisation of this thing. Not so sure it was a great idea but w/e live and learn
It's not as if Hedley Verity hasn't earned the right.

The greatest spell in cricket history

Hedley Verity's 10 for 10 will likely never be beaten and carves his name in the record books as immutably as upon his grave.

The bullet hit Hedley Verity in the chest. That's what his batman said, and he knew. The next day, his first as a prisoner-of-war, Tom Rennoldson returned to the battlefield with a "nice young German officer" who spoke English, and together they lifted Verity's limp body into a piece of broken mortar carrier which they had padded with sheaves of corn, then took him away to a field hospital. As the doctor prepared to operate, a grenade fell out of Verity's shirt pocket. "The Germans told me to unprime it," Rennoldson remembered, "and there, in the improvised operating theatre, I removed the detonator and made the grenade safe." Afterwards, Rennoldson and the ailing Verity shared a last tin of soup together. That afternoon the Germans parted them, sending Rennoldson away with the other fit men to a POW camp in Austria and Verity on to Naples, and eventually the town of Caserta, where he would die of his injuries.

A 79-year anniversary seems an odd one to mark, but a story like Verity's needs only the slenderest of excuses to be retold. It was on this day in 1932 that he produced the best bowling performance in the history of first class cricket, taking 10 wickets for 10 runs in a single innings against Nottinghamshire.

Ten for 10. Or in full: 19.4-16-10-10. You'd guess that is a record which will never be beaten. "The match will always be remembered for the bowling of Verity" wrote Dudley Carew in The Times the next day.

The greatest spell in cricket history | The Spin | Andy Bull | Sport | The Guardian

Last edited:

mr_mister

yeah I know I love him. Just feel it's not a true indication of CW taste as I doubt he would have beat some of the Round 1 exits (Holding) but I'm just being devil's advocate now

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Quarter Finals

Richard Hadlee vs Shane Warne

Curtly Ambrose vs Hedley Verity

Malcolm Marshall vs Allan Donald

Sydney Barnes vs Muttiah Muralitharan

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

mr_mister

I was trying to find a Barnes story that I swore I read on his cricinfo page once but can't find it now. It's about how he was bowling to some West Indian great(I think) in a charity game(again.. not certain) and Barnes was baffling him, so someone told him to take it easy as the batsman had a reputation to uphold and he simply said something like "So do I"

Victor Ian

International Coach

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain

Sydney Barnes vsMuttiah Muralitharan

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

Needed a tie breaker for the Hadlee v Warne contest so went for the one that bedded Liz Hurley.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Quarter Finals

Sydney Barnes vsMuttiah Muralitharan