• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket's oldest film

neville cardus

International Debutant
I've just applied a motion-interpolation AI to Eadweard Muybridge's 1885/86 cricketing stills, and so rendered them for the first time as a film. These are the oldest moving images of our great game, predating The Roundhay Garden Scene by roughly two years:

Rodney

Last edited:

neville cardus

International Debutant
Filthy chucker, tbh.
Don't know how you can tell at that frame-rate.

What is interesting about his action is how low it is. He was barely a generation removed from the legalisation of overarm bowling.

His batting technique is more remarkable still. Setting aside his stance, there's nothing in the execution of those strokes that would be out of place today.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Appears the photographer was doing studies of motion so I guess that explains the nakedness.

Could've got the same idea with a pair of y-fronts tbh tho.

neville cardus

International Debutant
I wanna know the answer to this to.
For the same reason there are so many nudes in classical and renaissance sculpture, with both of which the Victorians were preoccupied. When you're studying the motions and sinews and ossa of the body, clothing is an obstacle.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
For the same reason there are so many nudes in classical and renaissance sculpture, with both of which the Victorians were preoccupied. When you're studying the motions and sinews and ossa of the body, clothing is an obstacle.
Very true. I have noticed this in a number of illustrated books - perfectly tasteful and in no way intending to be ******.