• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing clangers.

the big bambino

International Captain
What are some of your worst moments in cricket punditry or play? I have a few and I've mentioned the worst when watching Australia play England at the Gabba. A young McGrath was bowling short to Thorpe who hooked him high high high between square and fine. That clinched it for me so I turned to a mate and said I don't think he's quick enough for test cricket. It's probably the biggest stinker of all time and I wince and laugh thinking if I were in charge I'd have Lehmanned McGrath into a net bowler and Langered someone like Holdsworth into an ashes bolta. I didn't think much of Warne when I first saw him either - which is the same I feel about him now but for different reasons.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I had a bad 2013/14 Ashes series. Not Spikey-and-Hilf levels of taste, but not too far behind.
  • $10 on England to win the 2013/14 Ashes after the Day 1 close of play at Brisbane
  • A post where I put Johnson as, like, the seventeenth quick I'd pick (behind the likes of Luke Butterworth and Ben Cutting)

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought Shai Hope and Kusal Mendis would go on to establish themselves as genuine Test class batsman, but was unsold on Babar Azam

Safe to say that hasn't quite worked out...

cnerd123

likes this
In 2005 BD were a side filled with young exciting talent, and were picking up the odd ODI win here and there. They topped Aus in an ODI ahead of the Ashes, and I predicted that they would be a force by the 2007 WC, and would win the 2011 WC

They did well in 2007 but were horrendous come 2011. Got bowled out for 58 by WI on home turf, and then for 78 in a must-win runchase vs SA.

What was worse is that after 6 years they were still a 'side filled with young exciting talent', without any of the class of 2005 actually establishing themselves as World Class cricketers. Nafees Iqbal, Tushar Imran, Aftab Ahmad, Nazmul Hossain, ****ing Mohammad Ashraful. Even Tapash Baisya was only 23 then.

Now they're a better side, but I've resigned myself to the fact that they may never win a WC in my lifetime.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
1. Steve Smith - Thought he would end up as one if those Cameroon White clones.

2. Darren Bravo- I think at some point in time in his career, he had exactly same stats as Lara. Although didn't expect him to emulate him, I thought he will go on to average at least 45-47 and make good runs.

3 Kambli - expected to be a LHB Sachin. Had same if not more talent. Wasted.

Kirkut

International Regular
I saw Ricky Ponting in the late 90s as an average batsman and didn't expect much of him. Fast forward to 2006 and there were already comparisons with Tendulkar & Lara, with some calling him better than both.

Thought of Kohli as strictly limited overs batsman and never expected him to play tests, a bit like Yuvraj Singh.

Kirkut

International Regular
I thought of Tendulkar and Sehwag retiring from cricket completely after the 2007 World Cup. Both hit their batting peaks surprisingly after that.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good of you to reveal you’ve always been trolling and have regarded Ashwin and Jadeja as better than any Aussie spinner ever.

It’s the only way to be at peace.
Ash in particular takes the whole "body like an accountant" thing too far in terms of durability.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I honestly think if we did not have the England series coming right up and the WTC context, Bumrah and Ash may well have played through injury in the last test. And we might not have won because of that. Its amazing how it worked out.

Kirkut

International Regular
Sachin's 200 in ODIs was the ultimate high I experienced as a cricket fan (above 2011 WC win and our Gabba win), thought of that record to stay permanent like Lara's 400.