• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketers who played against both father and son

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Going through an old youtube clip of Pakistan playing Newzwaland in 1985, where Lance Cairns was floored by Wasim Akram, I realized he played both against father (Lance) and son (Chris).

By top of the head I could think that Javed Miandad, Arjuna Ranatunga and Aravinda de Silva should have done so, because they debuted at the fag end of Lances' career and actually outlasted Chris. Javed started in 75 and ended in 1996, so he must have played with both.

Any others?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
A fair few West Indies FC cricketers can say they have played against father and son in the same game. Shivnarine and Tagenarine Chanderpaul played a fair few FC games together for Guyana

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Going through an old youtube clip of Pakistan playing Newzwaland in 1985, where Lance Cairns was floored by Wasim Akram, I realized he played both against father (Lance) and son (Chris).

By top of the head I could think that Javed Miandad, Arjuna Ranatunga and Aravinda de Silva should have done so, because they debuted at the fag end of Lances' career and actually outlasted Chris. Javed started in 75 and ended in 1996, so he must have played with both.

Any others?
There'll be heaps, there's less than 5 years between Lance's final test and Chris' first one. Border, Boon and Lawson played in both.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
So, what's the next closest gap between father and son?

I reckon Chanderpaul may have played test cricket against both Ken and Hamish Rutherford.

Yes. Ken played Shiv in 1994/95 and Hamish played him in 2 series in 13/14 and 2014.

Last edited:

Immenso

Hadlee would have played Shoaib Mohammed in 88/89 tour of NZ and would have played plenty of his uncles, but not his father.

cnerd123

likes this
Wonder if anyone has played against both Chris and Stuart Broad. For sure at county level, but at international? 1989 to 2006 might be too big a gap.

Immenso

Tendulkar and the Jarvis's of Zimbabwe woukd be worth checking.

Edit. Nope, Kyle never played Sachin.

Last edited: