• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket What-Ifs

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Here's two NZ / SA ones:

What if Faf doesn't run out AB at Dhaka in 2011? Do SA win the match? If so, do SA go on to win the WC, or would they have lost to Lanka in the semi or India in the final anyway?

What if Behardien and Duminy don't colide in the last over of the 42nd over of the SA/NZ WC semi final, and Elliott is caught? Do SA win the match? If so, do SA go on to win the WC, or would they have lost to Aust in the final anyway?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
What if Murali was Australian? Would Warne have ended up like MacGill, or would the Australian cricket culture exile Murali for being a chucker?
Shane Warne is dropped before the 1992 Boxing Day test (8/117), Murali is one of Wisden's 5 cricketers of the century, and the undoubted greatest spinner of all time, Ikki never posts on CW.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They beat everyone in group stages Jono. Means nothing. Doubt they beat India in a knockout situation. Especially when you consider our team kept getting better as the tournament progressed. Even Nehra and Munaf started delivering big time at the business end.

2015 they had even less of a chance than NZ and India. Barring an AB special, they lose.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
They beat everyone in group stages Jono. Means nothing. Doubt they beat India in a knockout situation. Especially when you consider our team kept getting better as the tournament progressed. Even Nehra and Munaf started delivering big time at the business end.

2015 they had even less of a chance than NZ and India. Barring an AB special, they lose.
Yeah I get that and agree, but what host nation losses were you referring to in 2011 - you said they lost both times?

In any case, I think you can actually argue SA still lose to NZ in 2011 even with the AB run out. Just didn't look likely to win that.

I think the Behardien / Duminy collision definitely cost SA though in 2015. I really don't get how that has slipped through the cracks, no one mentions it.

OverratedSanity

Yeah I get that and agree, but what host nation losses were you referring to in 2011 - you said they lost both times?
I said lose not lost. As in, hypothetically, if they beat NZ in 2011/15, they would still go on to lose to the hosts (India/SL/Aus)

morgieb

What if Murali was Australian? Would Warne have ended up like MacGill, or would the Australian cricket culture exile Murali for being a chucker?
If anything Murali would've ended up like MacGill. By the time he became really gun Warne had like 300 Test wickets. Although I suppose around 2000 Warne would've been at risk of getting dumped....

I suspect in Australia his kink would've been coached out of him.....in the Anglosphere these days there doesn't seem to be very many chuckers which is probably down to more professional training and spotting of suspect actions.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
A couple more from the 1970s

What if Boycott had been appointed captain instead of Denness after Illingworth stood down in 1973?

What if the final WI vs India test in 1976 had been washed out, with the series tied at one each after India chased down 400+ in the previous test? With this immediately following the 1-5 humiliation in Australia, Lloyd is relieved of the captaincy. Then what?

Last edited:

morgieb

What happens if Gibbs holds onto the catch that Steve Waugh gave in the 99 World Cup?

ajdude

International Coach
what if steyn and philander don't block out the last few overs; does steyn still bop mohammad shami for six over long on?

What if Behardien and Duminy don't colide in the last over of the 42nd over of the SA/NZ WC semi final, and Elliott is caught? Do SA win the match? If so, do SA go on to win the WC, or would they have lost to Aust in the final anyway?
another thought; what if it doesn't rain during south africa's innings?

Marius

International Debutant
What about South Africa, just before the Gleneagles Agreement* excludes them from international sport. That team of Pollock, Procter, Richards and Barlow, had the ban not occurred, could they have dominated the game? A titanic struggle between them and the West Indian side of that time would have been quite a sight. Would those names be the first down on any ATG teamsheet, or were their achievements merely beginners luck?
To be fair, SA was, for all intents and purposes already excluded prior to the agreement.

SA had not played any international cricket since 1970 and the Gleneagles Agreement was in 1977.

A more interesting question is what would have happened if South Africa had been allowed to play until 1977?

People like Clive Rice would have played Tests and Eddie Barlow would have captained South Africa in Tests.

We would probably have seen widespread anti-apartheid protests in Australia, England, and especially New Zealand, if SA had still toured. And how would they have fared if they had been invited to the 1975 World Cup?

Marius

International Debutant
What if Clive Rice throws his lot in with England? Do we have a rivalry to get into the Test team between him and Ian Botham?