• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Web Premier League - sign up and general discussion

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Maybe too early for O'Keefe? But I wasn't sure about picking the Bangladesh/Sri Lankan spinners given they play the majority of their games at home.

1. Cook
2. Dhawan
3. Khawaja
5. Mathews
8. Philander
9. O'Keefe
11. Abbas

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was lining up Moeen as my next pick too haha. Really wouldn't have looked out of place picking him earlier.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I have been umming and aahing about Moeen for ages and have put him off for a couple of rounds as I already have an off spinning all rounder. Surprised he lasted until round 7. Dodgy averages but still one of the top wicket takers in test cricket over the last few years, and a decent bat at FC level.
I expected him to go several rounds ago tbh.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought he’d been worse than he had (watching him bowl at Brisbane might have something to do with that) but he’s taken his poles at 30 for the last two years. Can bat. Definitely a good pick up for this stage as an overall package but I’m not convinced he’s better than any batsmen or spinners that have been picked before him, so in that sense it’s the right time.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I had hoped that Spark picking a South African I'd never heard of would turn out to be a Ruan Pietersen moment. After googling it turns out he may be good, sadly

morgieb

I had hoped that Spark picking a South African I'd never heard of would turn out to be a Ruan Pietersen moment. After googling it turns out he may be good, sadly
In fairness I think right now he's a bit of a Ruan Pietersen. His one good season at franchise level was on total roads, though in fairness he's down well for the A-team and looks likely to make his debut for South Africa proper soon.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah the bloke will very likely play Test cricket before this season starts due to Faf's suspension, and aside from his good couple of franchise seasons he's also done well for South Africa A.

Daemon

M Vijay
-
-
V Kohli
AB de Villiers
B Foakes +
-
S Curran
K Maharaj
D Olivier
J Hazelwood

Initially i wanted to be a bit cheaty and make AB keep. But PEWS is magic and would've punished me for it I'm sure.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Is there a reason why Gabriel, who over the last two years has averaged low to mid 20s with four five-fors and a ten, hasn't been picked?

I'm so out of the loop I'm half expecting him to have been exposed as a serial killer in the last few months

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
M Vijay
-
-
V Kohli
AB de Villiers
B Foakes +
-
S Curran
K Maharaj
D Olivier
J Hazelwood

Initially i wanted to be a bit cheaty and make AB keep. But PEWS is magic and would've punished me for it I'm sure.
Chewie actually left me with Foakes as his pick too; Kaushal was his backup.

Daemon

I think people are scrambling for batsmen in general. There's only been like 2 quicks picked in the last 2 rounds or something.

Certainly should've gone before Siddle and the Kuggejuggs though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think people are scrambling for batsmen in general. There's only been like 2 quicks picked in the last 2 rounds or something.

Certainly should've gone before Siddle and the Kuggejuggs though.
Dan went for Kuggs because he wanted one of his quicks to be able to bat eight. He's identified a bunch of bowlers he reckons he can pick up later but none of them can bat.

It was probably still early/unnecessary, but there was some logic to it that picking Gabriel wouldn't have satisfied.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, the 3rd/4th seamer that can also bat 7 market is very tight to start with - only Philander, Woakes, Holder and Curran really meet the criteria and are international-class. A few others kinda do it but are more bowlers-who-bat-a-bit rather than genuine bowling all-rounders.

Wouldn't have surprised me if an NZer went for him soon, so didn't want to run the risk of being exposed with a very, very long tail.

I'm confident I'll pick up all bar one or two of my remaining targets.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
1. Cook
2. Dhawan
3. Khawaja
5. Mathews
6. Silva
8. Philander
9. O'Keefe
10. Roach
11. Abbas

Philander and O'Keefe could bat 7/8 respectively pretty easily, but I wonder whether it would be worth getting another bowler over another batsman when I feel like the batsman would contribute more and I could use Mathews and potentially another batting all-rounder to fill that 5/6 bowling spot