• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket v/s Baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
for me there is no comparison....baseball has taken the worst in cricket(full tosses and slogs) and developed a game around it...i haven't been able to watch a game for 5 whole minutes so far...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Im a big baseball fan (Cards) and absolutely love baseball and cricket.. Just look at the crowds both sports pull, because they are both great sports.. I love them both

Cricket fans say baseball is just an uneducated slog.. Baseball fans say cricket is boring..

Fact of the matter is, baseball and cricket are both skilled sports.. Just watch a few double plays where there is milliseconds to spare to get an appreciation of baseball.. And cricket isn't all defensive of course..

I think the main issue behind people's appreciation for a game, is how well they know the intricacies and skill involved behind it before making wild and pointless judgements..

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Im a big baseball fan (Cards) and absolutely love baseball and cricket.. Just look at the crowds both sports pull, because they are both great sports.. I love them both

Cricket fans say baseball is just an uneducated slog.. Baseball fans say cricket is boring..

Fact of the matter is, baseball and cricket are both skilled sports.. Just watch a few double plays where there is milliseconds to spare to get an appreciation of baseball.. And cricket isn't all defensive of course..

I think the main issue behind people's appreciation for a game, is how well they know the intricacies and skill involved behind it before making wild and pointless judgements..
it's all subjective, you list out the reasons why you find it interesting...i can list out a whole list of reasons why it is not...ultimately it boils down to personal preference...it's not anyone making wild, pointless judgements... :)

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
It's not that easy to hit a baseball.If it was, then everybody could play. Also, there's a lot of skill involved in hitting and pitching and believe me there is strategy. I'm not about to say which is better but just going on purely biased opinions is just poor. If you watch enough baseball, say a season of MLB, you'll get to understand why people like it. You may not like it but you'll find out that it's not as dumb as you percieve. I actually thought cricket was boring when i first started watching. The first baseball game i watched i enjoyed. Maybe it depends on the level of the game, that's why you need to watch a full season, but it can be quite entertaining if you know what's happening. Same as in cricket. I had to know what was happening before i even found it vaguely interesting.It's now on the same excitement level with me as baseball.So i can't say which is better but that none is really more skill required or entertaining than the other.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
the main thing for me is that you get the ball on the full in baseball which is much easier to hit (it also has to be in a pretty small area) than cricket where in can be on the full, bounce full or short, move off the bounce or in the air.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm more a fan of cricket, but I'm a huge baseball fan too.
Anyone who calls baseball boring obviously did not see the American League Championship last post-season. It was one of the most thrilling events in any sport ever. Fantastic.

Picture this. The Red Sox and the Yankees have a bitter rivalry where the Yankees continue to win the division year after year with the Sox the number two competitors. The Sox are then consistently defeated in the postseason series as the Yankees tend to charge toward champion status. Years of second best and near a century without a World Series ring. The Sox have made the Series before, but continue to lose in tragic circumstances.

Now the Red Sox have a great year, but still finish second best and, as fate always has it, they must beat the Yankees to get to the World Series. The 7-game series is 3-0 to the New York Yankees and they look to close it out sadistically in Boston. Boston's best pitcher, and arguably the best in the league, Curt Schilling has a torn tendon in his right ankle and is unlikely to participate in the rest of the series. Boston down a run in the 9th inning. They tie the game dramatically. The game goes into extra innings. In the 12th inning, ie 3 extra innings, they break through and win the game with a two run home run by Ortiz. 3-1...

Back to New York for Game 5. Alas, it takes 14 innings (5 extra innings) for the game to be settled, with Ortiz lobbing the ball into the outfield to get it done for Boston. 3-2...

Knowing that no team has ever come back from 3-0, Boston continue in their attempts to do the impossible against their gargantuan opponents. Game 6 now and the Yankees once more try to close things out, this time in New York. They look to do it against Schilling, who plays against all advice and odds as his team has a slim chance at victory. On a bloody heel, Schilling takes to the mound in severe pain. Playing on adrenaline alone, he pitches beautifully and keeps Boston in the series, as Boston win 4-2. The series now a level 3-3.

One game away from the World Series and an unprecedented comeback. No drama in this one. The Sox score 6 in the first two innings and finish off with a 10-3 victory to defeat the New York Yankees and head to the World Series. Believe me, you have never witnessed such passion and desire to win as the Red Sox in that series. It was incredible and absolutely unforgettable.

Mr Mxyzptlk

age_master said:
the main thing for me is that you get the ball on the full in baseball which is much easier to hit (it also has to be in a pretty small area) than cricket where in can be on the full, bounce full or short, move off the bounce or in the air.
Don't be fooled into thinking there's no variation. There are some pitches that literally only the pros can hit. Some ridiculous movement in there.

Monty

U19 Cricketer
baseball aint a sport in america it is a money making scam

did you know they allow players to take steriods and it is stupid that one of their proud statitics is how many times they have hit the ball

Mr Mxyzptlk

Monty said:
baseball aint a sport in america it is a money making scam

did you know they allow players to take steriods and it is stupid that one of their proud statitics is how many times they have hit the ball
Forgive me when I say that that's an ignorant comment. It just is.

Duncan

U19 Debutant
Swervy said:
Bit harsh I think...I think there is a lot of skill involved in pitching
I was referring to batting... but yeah, it was a bit harsh to say that about pitching. There is some skill but definetely not like bowling in cricket.

C_C

International Captain
The only time i dont mind baseball is when i am high as a kite on pot...otherwise, it is a joke...everything about it is a joke except hitting, which i think is harder than cricket.

And i had the same experience as some of the folks on this thread- people were shocked to see me 'risk' catching a baseball without the mitt....

username1234

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Cricket's a way better game all they do in baseball is tamper with the rules of cricket to make it easier and more funner. eg they catch with a glove we catch with hands, they give the batsman 3 opportunities in cricket we only get one, just little stuff like that. Plus in baseball you have to generally be some big fat guy to be good at it. In cricket you can be 6ft-6 110 kg fast bowler or a 5ft 7 skinny wicketkeeper. Plus to play cricket you need alot of patience

cricket player

International Debutant
age_master said:
meh i think baseball is an incredibly boring game, watched my sister play numerous times - she gets angry when i tell her how to play and apply cricket strategies to baseball ;)
by the way how old is your sister :p

dinu23

International Debutant
The thing is Americans don't like to think they inherited anything from England. They just want to think they have unique sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.