• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket team draft

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Last and final pick: Patsy Hendren

Inexplicably under rated. The man with 170 FC centuries, second highest ever, and third highest tally of FC runs.
Patsy was going to be my second choice if Stan McCabe wasn't taken, so McCabe for my final selection.

Bill Ponsford
Charlie Macartney
George Headley
Everton Weekes
Stan McCabe
Andy Flower
Mike Procter
Ian Botham
Shane Warne
Jeff Thomson
Lance Gibbs

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I find it quite funny that I haven't picked a single South African (KP excepted). I've lined up a quality South African pick almost every round and he's always been snatched before my turn or lost out to another player at the moment of reckoning.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Patsy was going to be my second choice if Stan McCabe wasn't taken, so McCabe for my final selection.

Bill Ponsford
Charlie Macartney
George Headley
Everton Weekes
Stan McCabe
Andy Flower
Mike Procter
Ian Botham
Shane Warne
Jeff Thomson
Lance Gibbs
Lol, you won't believe this, but McCabe and Hendren were my choices on the last pick too. Almost went for the man who played the best innings Bradman had ever seen, but decided 170 FC centuries and a jolly nature had to count for something.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
This is ridiculous, I pretty much had five middle order players on my list and three of them have been taken today, starting to scrape the bottom of the barrell. I'd say theres still eight batsman of similar standard available so I wont be too upset with any of them really.
I'm guessing thats four taken after Somerset's pick? :ph34r:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Lol, you won't believe this, but McCabe and Hendren were my choices on the last pick too. Almost went for the man who played the best innings Bradman had ever seen, but decided 170 FC centuries and a jolly nature had to count for something.
I'd believe that - I'm actually really surprised both players made it to the final round of the draft. I almost picked McCabe with my 10th pick but with Gibbs still available, decided to leave my final batting position for last and finalise my bowling attack.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'd believe that - I'm actually really surprised both players made it to the final round of the draft. I almost picked McCabe with my 10th pick but with Gibbs still available, decided to leave my final batting position for last and finalise my bowling attack.
We've been following eerily similar strategies. I too went for a spinner on the 10th round figuring that there were enough quality middle order batsmen left to pick from at the end.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Somerset's XI

Bill Ponsford RHB (2,122 runs @ 48.22)
Charlie Macartney RHB, SLA (2,131 runs @ 41.78, 45 wickets @ 27.55)
George Headley RHB (2,190 runs @ 60.83)
Everton Weekes RHB (4,455 runs @ 58.61)
Stan McCabe RHB, RM (2,748 runs @ 48.21, 36 wickets @ 42.86)
Andy Flower LHB, WK (4,794 runs @ 51.54, 151 catches, 9 stumpings)
Mike Procter RHB, RF (226 runs @ 25.11, 41 wickets @ 15.02)
Ian Botham RHB, RFM (5,200 runs @ 33.54, 383 wickets @ 28.40)
Shane Warne RHB, LS (3,154 runs @ 17.32, 708 wickets @ 25.41)
Jeff Thomson RHB, RF (679 runs @ 12.81, 200 wickets @ 28.00)
Lance Gibbs RHB, OS (488 runs @ 6.97, 309 wickets @ 29.09)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed. Theres only about 5 or 6 picks before me and they don't all need middle order batsmen so I'm gonna get someone I want.
After quick look at the teams, Jakester will want a bowler and Jamee a wicket keeper, so its only with Raghav you'll have to worry about stealing another middle order batsman before you.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hold on boys you've missed me out..

Desmond Haynes
I actually started writing about another opener, but in the end I've decided to go with Haynes.

Haynes played in an era with terrific bowlers and as you can see by the great Graham Gooch, an average of 42 is terrific.

Also I really wanted a RH-LH combo up the top of the order.

1 AR Morris
2 DL Haynes
3 RS Dravid
4 SR Tendulkar
5 DI Gower
6 GS Sobers
7 RW Marsh
8 MW Tate
9 FS Trueman
10 JC Laker
11 CA Walsh

pskov

International 12th Man
Last and final pick: Patsy Hendren

Inexplicably under rated. The man with 170 FC centuries, second highest ever, and third highest tally of FC runs.

....Not always orthodox in style, this short, stockily-built batsman was celebrated for the power with which he invested his driving, for his cutting and for his courage in hooking fast bowlers. On pitches helpful to bowlers he used his feet with consummate skill. His ability as a deep fieldsman is illustrated to some extent by the number of catches he brought off.......Apart from being a great cricketer, and perhaps more important, he brought a tremendous amount of fun and happiness to everything associated with the game.....

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. :thumbdown

I already have the player with the most first class centuries in history, would've been great to add number two as well. :D

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Harold Larwood:

Bodyline made his career and Bodyline killed his career. At the age of 28 he Test career was over just when he was finding his feet at this level. Due to him not wanted to apologise for Boldyline as he felt he was just doing what the captain asked.

His overall record might not be that great but he did get picked too early and played in era where pitches in general were roads at Test level. In the 30s he was only one of handful seamers to average 25 odd. The other two that I can think of was a West Indies quick and Tate. His record for Notts says it all for mine, especially his record after being dropped.

He is perfect new ball partner with Ian Bishop. Both have great pace, but have a lot of guile to go with that pace.

Norm O’Neil:

As talented as any batsmen in my XI, but his major problem was probably when he was going he was just too good and selectors expected too much from him. Being labelled the next Bradman killed his career to an extent. But his record for mine is as good as anyone left if not better. Averaged 40 odd against pretty much all sides and mids 40s both home and away. When you take in account he got dropped at his peak (28) and what he did for NSW after being dropped. He could have averaged near 50.

But the big thing for me was that he was big game player, as his record against the top attacks of his era (England and West Indies) show. Tied Test anyone. Also a NSW great to boot.

He going to slot in at 5 for us, he mainly a top order batsmen but Chappelli and Kallis have 3 & 4. Lloyd is one of the best lower middle order batsmen around and his record with the tail as brilliant and prefect at 7 imo. Personally I think he better then Gilly at 7. Sangakkara gets the much needed rest he never got for Sri Lanka at six.

Len Hutton (Gully/Point) - Vice Captain
Justin Langer (Short Leg)
Ian Chappell (LS, First Slip)
Jaques Kallis (RFM, Third Slip)
Norm O'Neil (RM/LS, Gully/Point)
Kumar Sangakkara (Keeper)
Clive Lloyd (2nd Slip/Cover) - Captain
Harold Larwood (RF, Outfield)
Ian Bishop (RF, Outfield)
Alec Bedsar (RM/LS, Oufield)
Muttiah Muraliatharan (OS, Mid Off/Mid Wicket)

I don't do much at work tbh

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Brendon McCullum as my last pick, saving Kanhai from the gloves. I'll shuffle around the order to use Kanhai at 3 and Crowe at 4, where they both had most success. McCullum adds impetus at the bottom of the order as well as being outstanding with the gloves and a right royal ****.
Missed this earlier - very good move in my opinion. I didn't want to say it, but I thought having Kanhai keep was a poor move.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Jakester is up, although I don't know whether it's fair to hold him to the 24hrs given all the downtime that's been occurring...

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Missed this earlier - very good move in my opinion. I didn't want to say it, but I thought having Kanhai keep was a poor move.
Good move, but I'm not sure that McCullum was the best option available.

I guess a decent batsman was required as Greig at 6 is slightly worse batting-wise then most number 6's.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Darren Gough

Very close to picking Brett Lee here, but decided with Gough. Batting had no influence at all, because they would be in at 11 with my strong tail, and Gough's average is slightly better, which I feel is very important in this draft.

I have not seen him bowl live, but he looked alright in the highlight packages (but who doesn't :p).

1. Sid Barnes
2. David Boon
3. Alvin Kallicharran
4. Brian Lara
5. Michael Hussey
6. Andrew Flintoff
7. Richard Hadlee
8. Richie Benaud (c)
9. Ian Healy
10. Daniel Vettori
11. Darren Gough

Well rounded off team if I say so myself, good opening bowlers, Flintoff at first change then Benaud and Vettori providing the spin, and the batting order is not excellent, but solid enough.