• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't think there's a random Bangladesh thoughts thread so I'll just stick it in here and tag @Aritro and @cnerd123 - interesting to see Bangladesh experimenting with Miraz as a T20 opener against UAE. He made a score yesterday and there's definitely some serious batting talent there Bangladesh aren't making proper use of, but I'm not sure T20 opener is really where it's best suited. He's much more proper batsman than the sort of pinch hitter they're probably hoping for there - he'd make a better top order bat in ODIs IMO. Saifuddin would've been a more interesting punt as T20 opener I think.
I think its more of a "he has to be in the side, and he is most valuable with the bat when he opens" type of decision. I would be ok with that as long as they can get some power hitters through the middle, starting with Saifuddin.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
he's done okay as opener tbf. We really don't have anyone who can consistently go over the infield vs the new ball. The Tamim 2.0 pretenders like Soumay, Anamul, Sabbir have all failed, tho perhaps could give them a longer run.

Saifuddin better off clouting the old ball in the death. Him and Afif give us a good engine room at the back end, they just need to get Saifuddin more opportunities so he can develop.

Are these UAE matches being broadcast anywhere?
Anamul failing in his short stint didn't bother me but him dotting up and making 5 (16) etc meant it was right to bin him early IMO. Should keep him in ODIs though.

Bangladesh have some good T20 accumulators and some potentially good death hitting now in Saifuddin and Nurul 2.0, but I think having someone tee off as opener could really help them, even if they mostly failed. Miraz as a top order batsman (in general, across formats) has more legs than it may seem but I don't think he's going to be Narine which seems to be what they're going for.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think there's a random Bangladesh thoughts thread so I'll just stick it in here and tag @Aritro and @cnerd123 - interesting to see Bangladesh experimenting with Miraz as a T20 opener against UAE. He made a score yesterday and there's definitely some serious batting talent there Bangladesh aren't making proper use of, but I'm not sure T20 opener is really where it's best suited. He's much more proper batsman than the sort of pinch hitter they're probably hoping for there - he'd make a better top order bat in ODIs IMO. Saifuddin would've been a more interesting punt as T20 opener I think.
Why are you tagging @cnerd123 when he hasn't even acknowledged the UAE series?

Aritro

International Regular
Agree on pretty much all counts. He did however do pretty well in the last game of the Asia Cup, so that's two decent performances out of three tries so maybe he's better at this than we might have expected.

Getting Saifuddin up the order is such a no-brainer, I don't know how many more ways there are to say it :censored:

I started this thread btw

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Hope this post is the wake-up call he needs
Was discussing this with a friend of mine who was a massive Slater fan back in the day. He did wonder if his former teammates (and friends for that matter) haven't tried to help him and his behaviour but we both suspect he's probably burned most of those bridges.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, the way he's described in Ponting and Waugh's biographies, he seemed very obviously mentally unwell back then. Paranoid and with a short and volatile temper, I'm guessing the ashes 2001 dropping was personality/behaviour based more than anything else

I think he did well to get everything sorted out enough to hold his channel 9 job for as long as he did. I wonder the catalyst for this descent, maybe he thought he no longer needed his medication or something and he spiralled and spiralled. I'd like to hope there's more at play then simply a woman dumped him

TheJediBrah

I'm guessing the ashes 2001 dropping was personality/behaviour based more than anything else
It was. An interesting follow-on effect of that was Langer's career. If Slater doesn't have personal issues causing him to get dropped then he stays in the team for a bit and Langer likely never gets back in the team to have his run as opener with Hayden. In this reality when Slater does go a few years later younger guy like Hussey or Phil Jaques probably gets the spot over Langer

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dhoni at 10 is heinous. Even if you're a dyed-in-wool Indian, surely Gavaskar and Kapil have to come in higher.

Daemon

10. MS Dhoni (India)
12. Virat Kohli (India)
13. James Anderson (England)
14. Sir Alastair Cook (England)
20. Chris Gayle (West Indies)

Not that I agree with the rest but these are next level bad