• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Spark

Global Moderator
what's funnier is by merely doing nothing each of those hooting british gomers has been a more useful contributor to england's ashes performances than the quantifiably net negative performance marcus harris has to his name
Did contribute a killer quote this time around tbf

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My question is how these kids are getting this kind of coverage. Even the pitch looks fancy for 10/11 year olds

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Since the advent of helmets, we are seeing more batsmen getting hit in the head region. I was raised in an era when players were told to keep their eyes on the ball when ducking or swaying away from short balls. Is the problem increased confidence helmets give or poor modern techniques? The picture below shows Geoff Boycott watching a short ball pass by. A good technique.

Xix2565

International Debutant
Honestly I don't think it's down to poor modern techniques. It's not like people have remained stagnant with the usage of bouncers/short pitched deliveries.

Chubb

International Regular
I also think more people got hit in the head pre-helmet than we realise. The extent of concussion and TBI in the past isn't fully appreciated yet.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Rather than poor technique I think it is that helmets let you take a swing at something you'd be stupid to try without... Which creates poor technique, I guess. Hmmmm.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It’s definitely poor technique

In my day, we were taught to either duck, sway inside line or allow ball to pass over left shoulder (basically getting inside the line)

When hooking, you got back AND across with the ball going past your left shoulder if you missed

Most of all, keep your eyes on the ball

Being hit between the eyes was incredibly rare to see but pretty common these days

You’d be dead if Thomson or Holding hit you flush without a helmet

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Batsmen press forward more now. That wouldn't help avoiding the short ball.
Viv pressed forward but he also got inside the line of the bouncer when hooking

Many batsmen these days just plonk onto the front foot and don’t move from that point which makes them sitting ducks

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Is part of it also just bowlers on average being better athletes? Average release points are higher than when thommo played and you've got guys like bumrah bowling fast from actions that make the ball come onto you faster. Plus compared to the era of no helmets the average bowler is faster. Guys like thommo are probably as fast as Ferguson, or wood, or anyone else today, but even somoene like Cummins who's not in the 10 fastest bowlers is able to hit 150 occasionally.