• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If you know the action you take has the possibility of inflicting mortal danger, how can you 'not mean' to hurt the other player, except by delusion. This is like driving your car at excessive speeds down the roads. "I'm sorry officer - I didn't mean to run over Granny. I thought she would get out of the way".

I accept bouncers being part of the game, but I think those trying to say bowlers are not trying to hurt the players are playing with words. There is no intimidation factor at all, if there is no real possibility of being hurt.

I am sure the bowlers and the batsmen know there is a possibility of being hurt, not just by short balls you know, even toe crushers. Boom Boom sent back two of our batters with his toe crushers from the WC squad just in the nets.

I mean, the danger of being hurt is always there but I would like to think bowlers and bowling sides are only looking to ensure that the threat of that harm will force the batsmen to get out, than actually wishing they hurt him. Just because an activity you do has the threat of injuring someone does not mean that is the intent with which you take up that activity.

cnerd123

likes this
I mean the danger of being hurt is always there but I would like to think bowlers and bowling sides are only looking to ensure that the threat of that harm will force the batsmen to get out, than actually wishing they hurt him. Just because an activity you do has the threat of injuring someone does not mean that is the intent with which you take up that activity.
People on this very forum post solely with the intention of hurting other posters. Humans suck and I guarantee you there are cricketers out there who have, at times, played with the intention of causing pain to another player on the field, result be damned.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
People on this very forum post solely with the intention of hurting other posters. Humans suck and I guarantee you there are cricketers out there who have, at times, played with the intention of causing pain to another player on the field, result be damned.
I am not denying that at all, but juz like CW, I would like to believe that percentage is very very less.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
A slight digression

Many years ago concussion discussions mandated all ice-hockey players get used to wearing helmets.

In a practice session, one player hit his head on the ice while not wearing a helmet.

When a reporter asked his teammate (Russian, learning English) what happened to that player, his response was “He suffered a conclusion “.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Basically it boils down to substitutions are there to reduce the incentive to lie during the concussion test in order to keep playing on
The concussion test protocol, while not fool proof, is such that telling lies doesn't hide concussion. In other sports (eg AFL football) concussed players frequently show the desire to continue but fail the test - much of which is non verbal.

cnerd123

likes this
The concussion test protocol, while not fool proof, is such that telling lies doesn't hide concussion. In other sports (eg AFL football) concussed players frequently show the desire to continue but fail the test - much of which is non verbal.
Idk what the testing protocol is for cricket right now, but lying about concussion symptoms is a common thing in American sports. The Athletic has a good article about the struggles ice hockey has on trying to devise a test that can't be gamed by the players and the progress made on that so far

cnerd123

likes this
Cricket Australia uses the following tests:

and

seems like a combination of baseline testing and self reporting

According to Cricinfo:

What happens during a concussion test?
The symptoms of a concussion typically include nausea, dizziness, visual problems, lack of consciousness, lack of balance or co-ordination, disorientation, confusion, momentary loss of memory. Players are asked if they are feeling a headache or nausea. They are checked on balance. Their memory can be tested by asking the cricketing version of Maddocks questions, such as "what city are we in", "what session of the day is this", which two bowlers are in the attack at present". They might be asked to read signboards.

In rugby, doctors maintain baseline scores on these criteria and test concussions suspects on them. Cricket hasn't yet made baseline testing a matter of routine, but some teams already do that.

Even if a player is allowed to continue, a video review of the injury is carried out to look for immediate symptoms that might have been missed in the direct observation. If such symptoms are present in the video review and not being reported by the player, he still needs to go off the field.

cnerd123

likes this
In other news, breakdancing, skateboarding, surfing and sport climbing are now all in the Olympics, but Cricket still isn't

Flem274*

123/5
jesus theres some detached from reality posting going on in here. you get anyone quick for their level off camera and if they don't think you're a moralising punisher they'll tell you they bowl fast bouncers because they can (especially if they can bat competently for their grade or the oppo have no one quick), because nothing is better than seeing terror in a batsmans eyes.

sportsmen are often a bit more basic than us nerds. all these mental gymnastics youre doing dont really occur to them. they bowl bouncer, see guy can't deal with it, bowler gets the taste of blood. its nothing personal and no one wants to kill anyone, but everyone who can hit someone will try it. it's like rugby or combat sport - you smash a ****, you feel good

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
jesus theres some detached from reality posting going on in here. you get anyone quick for their level off camera and if they don't think you're a moralising punisher they'll tell you they bowl fast bouncers because they can (especially if they can bat competently for their grade or the oppo have no one quick), because nothing is better than seeing terror in a batsmans eyes.

sportsmen are often a bit more basic than us nerds. all these mental gymnastics youre doing dont really occur to them. they bowl bouncer, see guy can't deal with it, bowler gets the taste of blood. its nothing personal and no one wants to kill anyone, but everyone who can hit someone will try it. it's like rugby or combat sport - you smash a ****, you feel good
tbh I think you're a bit detached from reality if anything. Not sure why you think sportsmen are unthinking animals, or for some reason less intelligent than posters on Cricket Chat. We're talking about cricket, not rugby.

(oh and obligatory dig at kiwi cricketer: Wagner's not going to hurt anyone bowling his 115kph bouncers no matter how hard he tries)

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In other news, breakdancing, skateboarding, surfing and sport climbing are now all in the Olympics, but Cricket still isn't
So yuck. Breakdancing is physical, but how the hell is it a sport?

Worth noting that there is no baseball or softball either, yet three-a-side, single-hoop basketball is, and BMX freestyle.

TheJediBrah

It's a pathetic attempt to appeal to a younger (and more diverse?) audience. Surfing is fair enough I guess, but breakdancing in olympics is an embarrassment.

weeman27bob

International Regular
Too many "sports" that don't fit the "faster, higher, stronger" of the Olympic motto.
So of the sports included in the 2016 olympics you could argue "faster, higher, stronger" rules out:

• Diving (been in the Olympics since 1904)
  • Synchronised Swimming (1984)
  • Water Polo (1900)
  • Basketball (1936)
  • Gymnastics (1896)
  • Rhythmic gymnastics (1984)
  • Trampolining (2000)
  • Beach Volleyball (1996)
  • Volleyball (1964)
  • Dressage (1920)
  • Archery (1976)
  • Badminton (1992)
  • Fencing (1896)
  • Hockey (1908)
  • Football (1900)
  • Golf (2016)
  • Handball (1972)
  • Rugby Sevens (2016)
  • Shooting (1896)
  • Table tennis (1988)
  • Tennis (1988)
There were 41 sports in the 2016 olympics and more than half of them at least have some merit to be ruled out by that definition and most of them have been in the olympics for generations.

trundler

So of the sports included in the 2016 olympics you could argue "faster, higher, stronger" rules out:

• Diving (been in the Olympics since 1904)
  • Synchronised Swimming (1984)
  • Water Polo (1900)
  • Basketball (1936)
  • Gymnastics (1896)
  • Rhythmic gymnastics (1984)
  • Trampolining (2000)
  • Beach Volleyball (1996)
  • Volleyball (1964)
  • Dressage (1920)
  • Archery (1976)
  • Badminton (1992)
  • Fencing (1896)
  • Hockey (1908)
  • Football (1900)
  • Golf (2016)
  • Handball (1972)
  • Rugby Sevens (2016)
  • Shooting (1896)
  • Table tennis (1988)
  • Tennis (1988)
There were 41 sports in the 2016 olympics and more than half of them at least have some merit to be ruled out by that definition and most of them have been in the olympics for generations.
How long were you sitting on that one