• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Eh, you'd have the blame the bowling side for bowling any delivery that causes any injury to a batter then, and blame the batting side for hitting the ball hard enough to injure any fielder...becomes a slippery slope.
Blame is a needless word. There are risks to bowling a bouncer and risks to hitting a ball hard towards a fielder, those are just facts. Am saying there is a moral reason there to treat concussion subs differently (that starfighter has been asking for)

cnerd123

likes this
You seriously think physical injuries don't take a mental toll?
They do, but not the same way. I can overcome the emotional trauma of being unable to play sports again if my brain is functioning like a normal person. I can have healthy relationships, find a job that uses my brain, enjoy books movies music, etc.

If my brain is injured, I'm going to find it hard to think/speak/do physical tasks/properly process emotions/and a whole wide host of other potential problems. It won't matter that my body works, I won't have the mental capacity to do anything with it and will need constant care and support to just live my daily life.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
They do, but not the same way. I can overcome the emotional trauma of being unable to play sports again if my brain is functioning like a normal person. I can have healthy relationships, find a job that uses my brain, enjoy books movies music, etc.

If my brain is injured, I'm going to find it hard to think/speak/do physical tasks/properly process emotions/and a whole wide host of other potential problems. It won't matter that my body works, I won't have the mental capacity to do anything with it and will need constant care and support to just live my daily life.
Well, we are not disagreeing that much then. I totally understand why concussion should be treated with a lot more caution than physical injuries but at the same time, I feel our current infra is good enough to even allow proper injury subs which concussions can then become a subset of.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Eh, you'd have the blame the bowling side for bowling any delivery that causes any injury to a batter then, and blame the batting side for hitting the ball hard enough to injure any fielder...becomes a slippery slope.
I blame the farmer that owned the cow whose hide supplied the leather to make the cricket ball

cnerd123

likes this
Blame is a needless word. There are risks to bowling a bouncer and risks to hitting a ball hard towards a fielder, those are just facts. Am saying there is a moral reason there to treat concussion subs differently (that starfighter has been asking for)
Idk if I agree that bowling a bouncer is inherently less moral than bowling any other delivery that does not target a batters head. I could agree with it for recreational cricket, and people did certainly think this way at some point in cricket's history. Bodyline, for example. But with modern day laws, playing conditions, pitches and equipment I think we've reached a place where it's more or less accepted at the professional level. Wouldn't try to bring it into the reasoning behind concussion subs.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, the batsman walks in knowing a bowler can bowl the ball there. So I dont think it is immoral or anything. And we have enough rules policing it already, as it is. I mean, short pitched bowling.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is not wearing a batting helmet illegal against fast bowlers?
After 2014 they made it illegal in club cricket, which ruffled a few feathers but hard to really arc up too against it after what happened.

I used to open the batting in a cap against some fairly quick bowlers which now I realise was pretty dumb. Felt alpha at the time though

Flem274*

123/5
times have changed. im a #13 and i never wore a helmet in high school cricket, which looking back was dumb. at 110-120kph i have no idea.

Starfighter

After 2014 they made it illegal in club cricket, which ruffled a few feathers but hard to really arc up too against it after what happened.

I used to open the batting in a cap against some fairly quick bowlers which now I realise was pretty dumb. Felt alpha at the time though
Was only last season here. Our club vice president had a little rant about how Nathan Lyon wasn't obliged to wear one if he was facing Archer in the evening with a nearly black Dukes ball on a rough Lord's pitch, but that if was playing for his old club here he'd have to wear one when facing our 5'4", 15 year-old opening batsman who bowled 90 km/h medium pace.

I usen't bat with one even though my technique was ruined by playing too much tape ball cricket on a rubbish surface. There was hardly anyone who bowled over 100 km/h though - usually I was the quickest bowler in the match (my inaccuracy stopped me moving up), but there was the odd quicker fellow. In hindsight it wasn't very sensible and I now do much less risky things like riding motorcycles instead.

stephen

Could you imagine the macho alpha male former cricketers going on and on about a player leaving his team with just 10 men due to a mild headache, when back in his day he would play on with barely functioning knees or a broken jaw wrapped up in bandages
I've heard former Rugby League players talk about how they would talk about boxers being soft for having such a lengthy time of after being knocked out, while the league players would take the field again as soon as they were physically able.

They then went on to say that they had no idea of the long term effects and how terrible it would be for some of them who had severe mental health issues.

harsh.ag

Idk if I agree that bowling a bouncer is inherently less moral than bowling any other delivery that does not target a batters head. I could agree with it for recreational cricket, and people did certainly think this way at some point in cricket's history. Bodyline, for example. But with modern day laws, playing conditions, pitches and equipment I think we've reached a place where it's more or less accepted at the professional level. Wouldn't try to bring it into the reasoning behind concussion subs.
That's not what I'm arguing. Starfighter asked if there is a reason to have subs for concussions when injury subs aren't allowed. You say the reason is because concussed players are more likely to play on if there no subs because of bad culture and that could lead to something bad. But that could also be true for certain physical injuries.

I provided a clear cut difference that, in case of concussions, because the other side is at least slightly responsible for it, they shouldn't get to benefit and therefore the sub. In case of physical injuries, it's not partly the fault of the other side (at least not usually).

Starfighter

I think that's a poor argument anyway. Many a bouncer gives plenty chance for the batsman to avoid it. And I don't see why the bowling side should have to take an extra wicket for something that is usually a technical or judgemental failure of the batsman. Not sure where you're getting the logic from.

Flem274*

123/5
it's fast bowling. retired hurt is a goal.

idk why people just don't admit what bouncers are for - hitting batsmen, and the fear of being hit causing them to do stupid things.