• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At least it was a dry heat, none f that stinking humidity you get in Qld. Anyway, boys had a win which is good. One down, six more home-and-away games to go. Next stop Manly Oval on Tuesday.

josephina

Cricket Spectator
I'm new to this forum and I'm not sure if this deserves a thread.

A question to those who play cricket,

Would you prefer to get 100 and get out or get 99 not out?

For me the choice is easy but everybody I have spoken to has taken the opposite option.

What would you do?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ya gotta ton up. It might be worse for the average but seeing that extra ton in the hundreds column at the end of your career is so worth it.

Also, if you've gotten 100 flat you've also given everything that innings. You'd feel like you had another hundred runs in you if you ran out of partners on 99.

josephina

Cricket Spectator
Ya gotta ton up. It might be worse for the average but seeing that extra ton in the hundreds column at the end of your career is so worth it.

Also, if you've gotten 100 flat you've also given everything that innings. You'd feel like you had another hundred runs in you if you ran out of partners on 99.
Wow. This statistical obsession has another disciple. Just how much do you want a hundred? How about this? Dismissed for 100 and dismissed for a duck versus 99 not out and 99 not out. Surely you would go for the 99s this time?

SillyCowCorner1

Wow. This statistical obsession has another disciple. Just how much do you want a hundred? How about this? Dismissed for 100 and dismissed for a duck versus 99 not out and 99 not out. Surely you would go for the 99s this time?
Isn't being on 99 not also a statistical obsession... you're remaining not out to prop up your average.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea it's hard to paint a scenario where someone is happy with scoring less runs in any given innings because the more you score, the better your team's chances of winning. 100 is better than 99, and 101 is better than 100.

To then add in not-outs into the equation and then accuse those who still want the 100 as being obsessed with stats is so hypocritical. The only reason you would pick to score less runs and be not out at the end is because you're obsessed with your own personal batting average, and put that above scoring as many runs as you can for your team.

josephina

Cricket Spectator
Yea it's hard to paint a scenario where someone is happy with scoring less runs in any given innings because the more you score, the better your team's chances of winning. 100 is better than 99, and 101 is better than 100.

To then add in not-outs into the equation and then accuse those who still want the 100 as being obsessed with stats is so hypocritical. The only reason you would pick to score less runs and be not out at the end is because you're obsessed with your own personal batting average, and put that above scoring as many runs as you can for your team.
Ok fair point. Let's ignore the not outs then. Getting out twice for 99 compared to getting out for 100 and a duck. The two 99s are better for the team.

stephen

Ok fair point. Let's ignore the not outs then. Getting out twice for 99 compared to getting out for 100 and a duck. The two 99s are better for the team.
Absolutely but that wasn't the question asked. Two 99s is far better than a 100 and a duck. In isolation a 100 is better than a 99*.

stephen

The only exception is in a successful ODI chase. In which case the 99* has won you the game but the 100 hasn't necessarily won it and your dismissal might mean your team collapses and you lose.

TheJediBrah

Who cares about the team though?

Daemon

I'd trade a loss for my uni team if it meant scoring a few extra runs with no hesitation.

In fact it makes me feel even better if I'm the highest scorer in a losing cause. You automatically become the most powerful person in the post match team talk and get to look down on others. Great feeling.

OverratedSanity

What if it's the last innings of your career, you're 99* and need to remain notout to finish with an average of 50. You're given the choice of a) 99* and a 50+ average with 49 hundreds or b) 100 and out, 49.99 average, 50 hundreds

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Assuming this is an international career, the former IMO. Future draft thread participants are more likely to filter picks by average than by #100s. Need to get picked up top with the Vivs and Borders rather than the bottom of the draft with the loser 49ers like Inzamam and Michael Clarke.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I just discovered that the tour of Pakistan to India was cancelled. Why, oh why? This would be the biggest series ever if they could just sort their **** out. Politics can gagf.

Burgey

I just discovered that last season the Sydney Cricket Club imported the England under 16 captain and his family for two or three months at a cost of >$20K in order to win the Green Shield. Fmd imagine having the coin to do that - out a kid and his family up for a summer in Sydney to win an under 16s Comp.

Thank **** they banned such recruitment this year. No more international or interstate recruiting, which is fair enough as it’s meant to be a local Junior Comp ffs.

TheJediBrah

What if it's the last innings of your career, you're 99* and need to remain notout to finish with an average of 50. You're given the choice of a) 99* and a 50+ average with 49 hundreds or b) 100 and out, 49.99 average, 50 hundreds
Why would you be given that choice though? Who gives you the choice? I need to know these things it doesn't make any sense